Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
what is the difference with a remote turbo?? and how much ground clearance do you have now that piping looks LOW to the ground....

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I'm impressed! You have the talent needed for sure. Good job.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Dude, I am so waiting for how this goes! Dyno and track times would be great!

Quick question, though, why did you go with the turbo (Master Power T60) that you did? Just wondering.
I will be heading to the track tomorrow so I will have plenty of 1/4 mile track times. I just got my datalog tune so hopefully in can get some result that are representative of the final product. It took a while to research and see what other v6's were using for their remote mounts. I choose a t60 because I wanted something with a compressor thats a little bit bigger than what sts uses to make more power. To make up for the lag I bought a smaller turbine wheel than the base sts turbine. There are no compressor maps for the t60 but I believe its the same as a fullsize 60-1 which produces a little bit more than the t04b 62-1 compressor map thats out there. I was going to buy a master power t61 but the trim I wanted was sold out everywhere.

Quote:
I'm impressed! You have the talent needed for sure. Good job.
Thanks SC, without your help I wouldn't have this build or my previous twin build. Your hints and tips made a world of a difference! I can't wait to see more of your RX twin kits out there!
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
what is the difference with a remote turbo?? and how much ground clearance do you have now that piping looks LOW to the ground....
With remote turbos on our car the turbo basically replaces the muffler and the wastegate replaces the drivers side muffler. The only way it can work like this is because our exhaust has an H pipe at the front. With traditional front mounts, the headers are joined and then goes into the turbo. The h-pipe basically "joins the headers" for the remote kit. The intercooler piping is low but it only scrapes if your moving really fast (faster than highway speeds) and hit a dip in the road. Speedbumps and potholes are not an issue. Also my car is lower than stock since I have tires that have a 2inch smaller diameter than stock and I still don't scrape. The only issue is that the piping goes in front of the rear tire and under the suspension, so when im on a steep hill and the road sharply flattens out the pipe will scrape first.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
With remote turbos on our car the turbo basically replaces the muffler and the wastegate replaces the drivers side muffler. The only way it can work like this is because our exhaust has an H pipe at the front. With traditional front mounts, the headers are joined and then goes into the turbo. The h-pipe basically "joins the headers" for the remote kit. The intercooler piping is low but it only scrapes if your moving really fast (faster than highway speeds) and hit a dip in the road. Speedbumps and potholes are not an issue. Also my car is lower than stock since I have tires that have a 2inch smaller diameter than stock and I still don't scrape. The only issue is that the piping goes in front of the rear tire and under the suspension, so when im on a steep hill and the road sharply flattens out the pipe will scrape first.
cool thanks. i couldn't run that up here wayyyyy to many potholes and dips and such....

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
Pt_killa

I went to the track yesterday and got some 1/4 mile times i did not expect. I ran a 14.7 at 102mph. I had 100% traction but a lot of turbo lag in first and second gears (my car is auto). By the time I could get into full boost I was already halfway down the track and then the car started to shine(as you can tell from the high trap speed but high time and only 70mph at the 1/8 mark and 102mph trap speed). There is no lag on the highway or on the street but on the drag strip it is very appearent. The reason for the lag could be many reasons such as my turbo size or boost leak(could be bov) or even tune. Also if i could've left the line at a higher rpm maybe I couldve reached full boost sooner. I'm going to dyno this week so I can see how my power curve looks. As an estimate Vince from Trifecta viewed my datalogs of my basetune and showed that I made at least 40lbs of air per minute which translates to at least 400 at the crank. Hopefully my datalogged tune makes more.

Even though the quarter mile times were high, on the highway its a different beast! I've had my car turboed for a while now and taken down a 2011 ss, rt, and gt and a couple of bikes and imports. Pulling power on the streets and good gas mileage, couldn't be happier! Im not a big drag racer but I was just interested in how the car performed off the line. Only if I had a 2 step!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Quote:
I went to the track yesterday and got some 1/4 mile times i did not expect. I ran a 14.7 at 102mph. I had 100% traction but a lot of turbo lag in first and second gears (my car is auto). By the time I could get into full boost I was already halfway down the track and then the car started to shine(as you can tell from the high trap speed but high time and only 70mph at the 1/8 mark and 102mph trap speed). There is no lag on the highway or on the street but on the drag strip it is very appearent. The reason for the lag could be many reasons such as my turbo size or boost leak(could be bov) or even tune. Also if i could've left the line at a higher rpm maybe I couldve reached full boost sooner. I'm going to dyno this week so I can see how my power curve looks. As an estimate Vince from Trifecta viewed my datalogs of my basetune and showed that I made at least 40lbs of air per minute which translates to at least 400 at the crank. Hopefully my datalogged tune makes more.

Even though the quarter mile times were high, on the highway its a different beast! I've had my car turboed for a while now and taken down a 2011 ss, rt, and gt and a couple of bikes and imports. Pulling power on the streets and good gas mileage, couldn't be happier! Im not a big drag racer but I was just interested in how the car performed off the line. Only if I had a 2 step!
:(
Attached Images

CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #22
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
i will hate to be you when u hit the tubing on the bottom with something....
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
Pt_killa

just got back fom a 300 mile road trip and didn't hit anything. I daily drive my car and have already put 2k miles on the kit and pipes never scrape. Only on a hill or ramp with a steep apex like I stated earlier did i scrape slightly but the pipes were unscathed. I run it the same way sts does and I'm comfortable with it so to each's own I guess.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Quote:
just got back fom a 300 mile road trip and didn't hit anything. I daily drive my car and have already put 2k miles on the kit and pipes never scrape. Only on a hill or ramp with a steep apex like I stated earlier did i scrape slightly but the pipes were unscathed. I run it the same way sts does and I'm comfortable with it so to each's own I guess.
it does look like the pipes are almost near the ground on the 3rd picture
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
:(
Sorry to dissappoint you mate and your mighty eagle. At least now I know how the car reacts and I can adjust the parts and driving accordingly. That was my first run with a turbo car (first run with basetune I had another driver) and 2nd run at a drag track in my life so hopefully I can learn more driving techniques the next time I run.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
it does look like the pipes are almost near the ground on the 3rd picture
Thats just the angle of the picture making them look close, if you look in the 4th pic you can see better. I'll take a more panaromic pic from the back
Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Sorry to dissappoint you mate and your mighty eagle. At least now I know how the car reacts and I can adjust the parts and driving accordingly. That was my first run with a turbo car (first run with basetune I had another driver) and 2nd run at a drag track in my life so hopefully I can learn more driving techniques the next time I run.
Keep it up man. Post your time slip so we can keep track of your progress.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #28
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
At a dead standstill, how much boost can you build before it starts overpowering the rear brakes? I'd pull up somewhere like an empty parking lot, jam the brakes and slowly raise the rpm's until it overpowers the brakes. That should be around where you should launch. Tracy's torque converter might very well turn that car into a total track beast but it may not be what you're wanting. It sounds like you're enjoying it as it is(35mpg highway is awesome by the way,hello gm...you want to make power/cafe standards). I also wouldn't worry about your reaction time until you get the other things worked out.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote