Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
Pete,
Mariano here. I guess I fell into the 25% group, because I needed them. "No worries", because they did the job. However, I just put them in place without any adhesive and I guessed as where to place them.

I think the insulators may be moving or shifting from where I installed them. My question is: Can you be specific on the correct location and placement... and will ordinary silicone adhesive do the job?

Do you have any photos of the insulators in place? That would help. Thank you.

Alfie (Mariano)
Alfie,

They should not move as they are held in place, pinched by the stacked coils. We don't do anything other than place them at the factory. The OP asked about glue. It won't hurt anything so why not.

Placement is easy. The butt end of the coil sits in the notch of the OR spring perch. The butt of the insulator should be below the coil butt on the second coil. But, if your coils are quiet, leave them alone no ifs, ands or buts.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades, but we could add the coil wrap. Close will work.

I am trying to think of another reason to use butt in this post, but I can't think of one
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
JusticePete

FYI: The Pontiac G8 and the Holden Commodores ship with a similar wrap. The reason is the design of the coil and how it loads.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Pete,
Mariano here. I guess I fell into the 25% group, because I needed them. "No worries", because they did the job. However, I just put them in place without any adhesive and I guessed as where to place them.

I think the insulators may be moving or shifting from where I installed them. My question is: Can you be specific on the correct location and placement... and will ordinary silicone adhesive do the job?

Do you have any photos of the insulators in place? That would help. Thank you.

Alfie (Mariano)
Does this help? You can see it wrapped in there.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Alfie,

They should not move as they are held in place, pinched by the stacked coils. We don't do anything other than place them at the factory. The OP asked about glue. It won't hurt anything so why not.

Placement is easy. The butt end of the coil sits in the notch of the OR spring perch. The butt of the insulator should be below the coil butt on the second coil. But, if your coils are quiet, leave them alone no ifs, ands or buts.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades, but we could add the coil wrap. Close will work.

I am trying to think of another reason to use butt in this post, but I can't think of one
Thanks. Yes, they are quiet now. So, I will leave them be. But, I had to ask.

Alfie
Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, they are quiet now. So, I will leave them be. But, I had to ask.

Alfie
No worries. Ask ANYTHING, anytime.