Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If memory serves, there is one winter tire, Pirelli Scorpions, and Pirelli PZero summers...

You can probably make a Michelin Super Sport fit if you accepted slightly lower/higher aspect ratios...It's been a while since I looked all that up...and honestly, so far - not feeling much reason to opt for a different tire at this point.
Your unflappable enthusiasm is refreshing and always welcome.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
I really enjoy these tires. Even in the wet, they seem to find grip. I'm anxious to see how long they LAST....but then that's one of those trade-offs made for super-sticky grip.

The local tire store will install a full set for around $1700 dollars. That includes balancing...

Also - it needs to be mentioned...in order for the PTM system to remain optimally effective, you need to have those OEM tires on the car....
They are pretty good tires, but you will find they will not last very long at all if it is your daily driver.
Also, if you go the pulley and tune route, you will see that will hold hold the power very well either.
nanokpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I'm curious. How long is "not very long"?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
nanokpsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I'm curious. How long is "not very long"?
Less than 12k miles. I have seen GT500 guys go through them in 6 months.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokpsi View Post
Less than 12k miles. I have seen GT500 guys go through them in 6 months.
Mine's are almost slicks at 15K miles.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The wear depends on driving style. I base my opinion off both my 5th Gens running P-Zero tires if the same size. My wife's V6 with 14K miles, the tires still look new. Mine with just under 19K miles, the back tires have about 2K if I take it easy with them.

Seeing the Goodyear and the Pirelli have the same wear and traction ratings, I figure for me around 20K miles should be a safe bet before changing them. This should give me a good two years run time. On my SS I think I can get away with just replacing the rears this time around, then all four after that.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyv View Post
The Zl1 does not have run flats.
here is the tire info. they are runfats.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...40803931600000
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
So, you really feel like the Goodyears are "super sticky"? Really? And it really sucks for ZL1 owners if what you say is true about the PTM and they cannot opt for better tires.
You know - I've been wondering about this... You bring up an excellent point, and if you're going where I think you were going, I'm still waiting to see someone with talent drive the car without the Goodyears, on, say, Sport Cups, without the PTM, and see if there's a different in times and dynamics. I know either Mark, Al, Tony or Aaron mentioned the PTM extrapolates/expects traction (among the many other factors) and when they're break-lose, so, that means, to me, that it might jump in sooner with superior tires and not allow the car to exploit the extra grip in all circumstances. That's not a factor if you're not in PTM, however, probably most people will remain in one of the modes for almost all of their driving, so I'll be interested if anyone ever does any scientific testing to verify what will happen.

Personally - I'll be looking at Sport Cups, probably in bigger sizes, when it's time for replacement. I better get a car first though Talk about cart before the horse!

Excellent topic!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
there should be sensors on the car to detect wheel slip and such.

the down side would be basically if they limit power in a specific mode to the goodyear and you put on a superior tire you may not see its advantages.

I will say in corners the goodyears will be really good. At the drag strip there are beter compounds for sure.

at the drag strip you should turn all the managemnt off and just drive right so just have a set of tires for the drags and roll the good years on the street.

the sport cups do not come is a size that is very close yet 25 series is what they have in a 315. 315/25-20 is 2" less diameter.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I would like to go a little wider anyways, and see if I can get a little shorter tire. I'm affraid, though, I might lose a little of the proportions I like so much already, in the side view of the car...

Thanks, hog' - that was going to be my next little research project. You just saved me a few minutes

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
nanokpsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The wear depends on driving style. I base my opinion off both my 5th Gens running P-Zero tires if the same size. My wife's V6 with 14K miles, the tires still look new. Mine with just under 19K miles, the back tires have about 2K if I take it easy with them.

Seeing the Goodyear and the Pirelli have the same wear and traction ratings, I figure for me around 20K miles should be a safe bet before changing them. This should give me a good two years run time. On my SS I think I can get away with just replacing the rears this time around, then all four after that.
Tire wear numbers are only good for comparing them to tires within the same manufacturer as they are not standardized.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokpsi View Post
Tire wear numbers are only good for comparing them to tires within the same manufacturer as they are not standardized.

Not according to the DOT, and it's all we have to base purchasing decisions on. The standards are not perfect and the numbers are supplied by the manufacture, they are expected to be reasonably accurate.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
nanokpsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not according to the DOT, and it's all we have to base purchasing decisions on. The standards are not perfect and the numbers are supplied by the manufacture, they are expected to be reasonably accurate.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

Some good reading for you

Again, If you are comparing one Pirelli tire to another Pirelli tire, the higher number should last longer, but that is as much thought as I would put into the UTOG rating.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
actireman

Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
Quote:
If memory serves, there is one winter tire, Pirelli Scorpions, and Pirelli PZero summers...

You can probably make a Michelin Super Sport fit if you accepted slightly lower/higher aspect ratios...It's been a while since I looked all that up...and honestly, so far - not feeling much reason to opt for a different tire at this point.
I put Michilen Super Sports on the day I picked it up. They fit fine and look a lot better. At first I thought they were real loud until I got on a good road. All of a sudden my car was real quiet. So it really depends on the road surface is what I'm finding.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote