Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Even if the other vehicle had insurance, and it was driven by an un-licensed driver or the owner stated he was the only driver, the ins. co. doesn't have to pay- especially with injuries involved- since the un-licensed driver vouids the policy coverage.
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
You got the plate number and have a police report. You've done pretty much everything you can do. If they can find the other driver, you should be able to make a claim against the other driver.

As for your deductible, if the other driver can't be found or doesn't have insurance and has no money, etc...then you'll have to use your insurance as a last resort, so all that will be in the details of your policy. You can try suing the other driver, but getting a judgment and actually getting the money are two different things. At that point, it depends on the laws of your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Your insurance should be your friend in this one...You may have to pay your deductible in the meantime...But your insurance company will want their money back too from the guilty party, and when they get theirs, you'll get your deductible back also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon69 View Post
but how long does this take?
This happened to us several years ago.
The other driver didn't have insurance, so we did have to use our insurance.
That is why you have "uninsured" motorist coverage.
Yes, you will be out your deductible (at least for a little while).

Now your insurance will go after the other driver in order to their money back. As mentioned, when they get their money you will also get your deductible back.

Note: Your insurance company will be relentless (or should be) on this issue.
It took them over a year and they started the process with the State DMV to pull the other guys drivers license, before he finally agreed to cough up the $

In the end, we got our deductible back.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
speeddemon69

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Geez. I just hope they get her before the deductible is paid
speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
You did write the plate # down, correct?
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
Quote:
i didnt cause it they hit me i didnt chase them down because ii had my pregnant girlfriend in the car if i was alone i would. i got license plate number called the cops filled a report made a claim but what can i do about the insurance deductable if it wasnt my fault and how i can get her to be liable for it
you did the right thing your baby is more important
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Mersades
Web Geek Chick & NHRA fan

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJM
I'm really sorry to see this happened, but a big To you for keeping your cool and handling it the right way. I annoyed the heck out of me that people run like that... It makes me worry they weren't covered or something.

Please keep us posted on how things go, and best of luck getting your baby fixed up. Just curious... How did this all go down that she hit in two spots?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Speeddemon The same thing happened to me, While I was stoping for a Red light, An Suv clipped my right front fender (almost like yours, but not quite as bad)I was in the left lane, he was in the right lane, after he hit me, he went into the shoulder and ran the Red Light. I would have chased him, but I was boxed in. I took down his License Nr and called the Police. Go talk to your Repair shop, they were very nice to me, I told them The guy proberly dosen't have ins. I'll most likely be paying for this. They gave me a discount on the parts and on repairs, as it turned out I got the other ins co. to pay, so I'm sure they can proberly fix it so you won't have to pay anything out of your pocket.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Wow, that sucks. And I hate to be Debbie Downer, but odds are you are going to be out your deductible. They ran for a reason.

I hope I am wrong. Good luck!
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I was rearended by someone in a Durango 6 weeks after picking up my brand new Camaro. He was driving his buddies Durango, and come to find out his buddy didn't have insurance. The driver showed me a valid insurance card. However, what transpired is that the owner of the vehicle had ordered insurance, got his ID card and then cancelled the insurance, so it looked like he had it, but he didn't.

So I ended having to file a police report and then claiming on my Uninsured Motorists part of the insurance. My deductible was only $250 and the Camaro was all fixed up.

It then took Geico a year to get my deductible back, but I did eventually get it back.

Sorry this has happened to you, it really sucks, but glad that you are all safe and nothing worse happened. Good luck to you!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
I was rearended by someone in a Durango 6 weeks after picking up my brand new Camaro. He was driving his buddies Durango, and come to find out his buddy didn't have insurance. The driver showed me a valid insurance card. However, what transpired is that the owner of the vehicle had ordered insurance, got his ID card and then cancelled the insurance, so it looked like he had it, but he didn't.

So I ended having to file a police report and then claiming on my Uninsured Motorists part of the insurance. My deductible was only $250 and the Camaro was all fixed up.

It then took Geico a year to get my deductible back, but I did eventually get it back.

Sorry this has happened to you, it really sucks, but glad that you are all safe and nothing worse happened. Good luck to you!
Ever notice that the insurance companies send out your new cards BEFORE you even renew and pay? Stupid actually.
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Dang, sorry to see that kind of thing happen. Good luck and hope all turns out well.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
If you have the tag number, unless it was stolen, they will get the guilty party.
Accidents, regardless of the amount of severity, are always unsettling to say the least. I agree with the above referenced poster. You got the license plate number, so they'll be caught. There's always a lot of "ifs" in situations like this, but I think it will work out well for you. Not so, however, for the guilty party. Take care.........
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
speeddemon69

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
So I'm at the hospital brought my girl in to check up on the baby she's having some pains. as for the insurance I'm going to call tomorrow if they don't call me by 12
speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
So I'm at the hospital brought my girl in to check up on the baby she's having some pains. as for the insurance I'm going to call tomorrow if they don't call me by 12
Hope your gf and the baby are both ok. Nothing more important than family - and that is what ticks me off even more about people that hit and run!
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote