Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Didn't they also stop using the oil cap that had the Mobil 1 logo on it? I don't know what the new oil caps have on them
Yup . . new caps say DEXOS or something like that . . but the Mobil 1 unit fits just fine.
2018 Traverse High Country, 2017 Tom Henry Racing ZL1 Convertible, 2016 Silverado High Country HD, 2014 Camaro SS Convertible, 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1, 2002 Berger SS Phase II, 2001 Camaro SS Convertible, 1997 Hendrick Motorsports 30th Anniversary LT4 SS, 1992 Camaro RS Z03 25th . . .
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
On page 11-13 for the the 2012 Camaro it states:

Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specification, or equivalent, of
the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1LE View Post
what he said!! my hands are clean on this one(justindewoody)
lol...I feel ya man...I just read that other thread!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
On page 11-13 for the the 2012 Camaro it states:

Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specification, or equivalent, of
the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Which from what I understand is rebottled Mobile 1?
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
Which from what I understand is rebottled Mobile 1?
Why would that be? It's cheaper than Mobil 1, it would make sense if they were trying to sell it for more but where is the scam in giving you something more for less?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
So what they are telling you, is what I've been saying for years...........Change it regularly and you can use just about any oil you want.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
...Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specification, or equivalent, of
the proper SAE viscosity grade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
So what they are telling you, is what I've been saying for years...........Change it regularly and you can use just about any oil you want.
Um no they are telling you that you must use dexos1 spec or equivalent with the proper grade, that is definitely not the same as use whatever you want.

not using dexos1 spec or equiv will dick your warranty also
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoRS View Post
Dexos is not a specific oil brand. It is an API oil service rating that GM recommends using in their vehicles. Most major brands of oil currently have the Dexos rating now. For example, Mobil 1 is a Dexos approved oil, so no worries.

Heck, even Royal Purple is Dexos approved!
Dexos is a trade marked GM formulation exclusive to GM and not the API. GM released the Dexos formula to the oil manufacturers so there was never a monopoly issue. It's the oil companies choice whether they want to make their oils Dexos approved. Dexos is nothing more than a re-engineered additive package. The primary purpose of the change is for ash control. If you get the GM branded Dexos from the dealer, you are getting a semi-synthetic blend oil that is made by XOM. It is not rebottled Mobil 1. A semi-synthetic most commonly only has 15-30% synthetic oil in it and the rest is plain ol dino oil.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #23
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post
Um no they are telling you that you must use dexos1 spec or equivalent with the proper grade, that is definitely not the same as use whatever you want.

not using dexos1 spec or equiv will dick your warranty also
Uum, yeah. Have you seen the Dexos approved list? I believe almost every one is on there but meijer and kmart........take a look. I think I see Costal, National. Wolfs Head, Silver State, Quaker State, Peak, Castrol, Carquest...just to name a few.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
So...getting ready to do oil change #1 on my 2013. There were no questions on my 2010. Mobil 1 was it, from day 1.

Who's running the GM Dexos1 blend now? Is that what came in my new car?
How does it stack up on price vs. Mobil 1?

My car is a weekend toy only and will likely not see any track duty in any form any time soon, however, I do drive it "spiritedly" within the reasonable limits of the street. I also only clock 2-3K miles a year on it so the oil life never even gets down to 60% before winter storage rolls around and it gets dumped.

Would you guys spend extra for Mobil 1 if that is no longer what GM is even putting in? (assuming that is the answer to the second question above)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. GM's oil or Mobil 1 are the options I'm interested in. No need to beat on me about RP, Amsoil, Karo syrup, etc., please. Fine if you folks use and like them but not interested in straying that far from what the engineers at GM seem to stick with.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
Buckeye
Buckeye

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Your service manager needs to move on to his next career.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote