Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
I don't care for the c5's and my camaro can beat a lot of them. But c6'd are a different story. I find myself thinking about getting a c6 z06 all the time
a stock base C5 maybe? Not a mod for mod c5Z06..
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
a stock base C5 maybe? Not a mod for mod c5Z06..
Around my area I haven't came across many c5's with a lot of mods. Most I've ran are intake tuned ones. One supercharged one runs around my area but we haven't hooked up yet. I've seen his track times and we are close. From a dead stop he has me from a roll I still believe he wins but I think it would surprise him.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
I came from a C5 vette... The camaro handles just as good and rides better in my book. The Ls3 makes up for the wieght, my vette ran low 13s at 107ish stock, my camaro 110ish! On the top end the camaro is definetly faster... add some mods to the vette and because of wieght I am sure the c5 will run away on a road course in the handling department though. Stock for stock, I bet they would be neck and neck in the corners with the edge in the striaghts to a LS3 SS. No dought my camaro was the faster stock car in a striaght line!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Not all C5's are created equal. I came from a 2001 C5 automatic. I have no experience with the C5 manual but the auto C5 coupe I had felt pretty slow by comparison to some of the cars I've owned before (04 STi 02 SS Camaro auto 99 trams am manual). A tune and plugs made it better .. But my stock LS3 (when it was stock) feltlike it has more nuts and a better ride.

And working on a C5 vs. 5th gen Camaro? Be ready for the corvette tax and more busted knuckles. Real pita

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
Bad70supreme

Its amazing how some people just dont give credit to the 5th gen... Last time I raced a bolton C5 I destroyed him, granted I have a cam! Also if I am not mistaken the 5th gen has a faster time around Nurb then a base C5 by 20 sec!! No mistake this car is faster then my vette was, and trust me I LOVED that vette! If you look at listed nurb times the camaro is at 8:20 and they show a 97 auto C5 at 8:40, that 20 freaking seconds!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
im not talking about a base C5, im only referring to the C5Z. Mod for Mod, our 5th gens arent pulling it... its to light and has better aero.

if you want to compare stock for stock, who cares? Buy which one you like better if you're leaving it stock.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
Bad70supreme

No thats true, not a c5z! This post is about a base C5 though.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Its amazing how some people just dont give credit to the 5th gen... Last time I raced a bolton C5 I destroyed him, granted I have a cam! Also if I am not mistaken the 5th gen has a faster time around Nurb then a base C5 by 20 sec!! No mistake this car is faster then my vette was, and trust me I LOVED that vette! If you look at listed nurb times the camaro is at 8:20 and they show a 97 auto C5 at 8:40, that 20 freaking seconds!
I read a llloooottttt of strange stories on these forums speculating results in "SS vs..." stories (which in turn then become littered with "don't street race" posts by someone on a soap box, but that's another subject altogether). But this one? Man if you are walking on a C5 in your car, that's awesome, but I'd need to see it to cement that one home.

But in support of the spirit of what you were getting at with your post, I remember posts here second guessing a race with the newer Goats or the 370Zs. With those I can confirm, regardless of the venue, that my SS in it's current configuration can, and has spanked both of those cars no contest (although I confess I don't know what year the GTO was and the performance of those can vary a bit by production year). I did however have some trouble with an SVT Cobra who pulled on me, but I wasn't in competition mode so I was pulling timing between shifts and yet he only pulled on me slowly and steadily - it should also be noted that he had crazy drag radials on the car and it was clearly built. I thought he'd smoke me no contest, but it didn't happen that way.

With that said, people try to discredit the SS because of it's hefty curb weight, but those people are just looking for a criticism to levy. But I haven't had too much experience with a Vette of any notoriety against my SS....

Last edited by IMJ; 11-02-2012 at 03:54 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I can't speak for a C5 vette, but my dad has a bone stock (first year) 2005 C6 Vette with a 6 speed and any time i get in it, as a driver OR a passenger, it feels like a formula 1 car compared to my Camaro. Even parking beside it makes my Camaro look like a huge, tall tank compared to the low slung vette. With that said, i wouldn't trade my Camaro for it, as I like the musclecar feel the Camaro has.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo

Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
I don't care for the c5's and my camaro can beat a lot of them. But c6'd are a different story. I find myself thinking about getting a c6 z06 all the time
Keep your car and buy an old C6. I own an '06 Z51 vette. Just recently put an e-force supercharger on it, but i love Camaro's too. So now i'll have my 1LE sitting next to it. I don't mind that the Camaro is slower. I simply want to have the 2 best chevys out there.
scubadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
dshep214

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I read a llloooottttt of strange stories on these forums speculating results in "SS vs..." stories (which in turn then become littered with "don't street race" posts by someone on a soap box, but that's another subject altogether). But this one? Man if you are walking on a C5 in your car, that's awesome, but I'd need to see it to cement that one home.

But in support of the spirit of what you were getting at with your post, I remember posts here second guessing a race with the newer Goats or the 370Zs. With those I can confirm, regardless of the venue, that my SS in it's current configuration can, and has spanked both of those cars no contest (although I confess I don't know what year the GTO was and the performance of those can vary a bit by production year). I did however have some trouble with an SVT Cobra who pulled on me, but I wasn't in competition mode so I was pulling timing between shifts and yet he only pulled on me slowly and steadily - it should also be noted that he had crazy drag radials on the car and it was clearly built. I thought he'd smoke me no contest, but it didn't happen that way.

With that said, people try to discredit the SS because of it's hefty curb weight, but those people are just looking for a criticism to levy. But I haven't had too much experience with a Vette of any notoriety against my SS....
Now I have bolt ons and cam and I've pulled on a new GS a few tuned and intake c5's and a bunch of mustangs in my area 2 of them were 03-04 cobras one claimed to have 450-470 rwhp and he had 2 car links put on him. But I personally know a guy with one with 640rwhp and I know he will take me lol. Those cars can go crazy modding them But yes I have pulled on many strong cars in my area.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
"Better" is subjective. Everyone has a different definition of better.
I think the 5th gen Camaro is better than the C5 Corvette in technology......but this is because the C5's are now ~10 years old. The electronics, ECM/BCM tune, and standard features are all better. The engines (either L99 or LS3) are better than the C5's LS1/LS6 engines. Some might say the suspension technology is better in the Camaro too, depending on what you really want.
However, the Corvette is the better driver's car. It is lighter, gives you more road feedback, requires more driver skill at the limit, etc. It is the better all-around performer, by far.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #27
dshep214

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo7 View Post
Keep your car and buy an old C6. I own an '06 Z51 vette. Just recently put an e-force supercharger on it, but i love Camaro's too. So now i'll have my 1LE sitting next to it. I don't mind that the Camaro is slower. I simply want to have the 2 best chevys out there.
Would love to lol but the wife would shit a brick if I had another 2 door play toy sitting in the garage lol.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #28
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I've raced against both a SS and C5 in my GTO and in a straight line the SS is a little faster then the C5. A new Camaro may out handle a loosened up aging C5 though.