Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
been driving around the past 4 tanks of gas 450 hp to the wheels with kooks longtubes and cats, cai inc intake, custom grind vvt cam and headwork done by west coast heads and my DIC reads 20.1 mpg....thats half city 25% freeway cruise and 25% freeway stop and go bumper to bumper.....aaaaannnnddd with me putting my foot in it to feel my new car..if your worried about gas mileage dont be a proper tune with a proper setup will be fine

Last edited by SPCBA; 03-08-2013 at 01:11 PM.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #16
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Umm.... my MPG went up when I had a tune, CAI, LT header combo and that was with AFM/DOD turned off. Not that it was important to me with this car. If your worried about mpg's dont because with the right tune it will stay the same or get better. Same goes for the reliability. All 5th gen Camaro's should have come from the factory this way IMO. Especially the L99's.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
My MPG went down, but I can't say for sure if it was because of the mod. I put my foot down more so there has not been fair testing. When I can test while keeping my foot out of it I will let you know.

I went with the ARH headers and they are amazing. Can't go wrong with any of the headers available for the most part though. If you are getting a tune either way, might as well throw the headers in too.
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Tundra View Post
I am thinking about getting a set of Longtube headers. I don't want to mess up my daily driver though. Would I have any reliability issues if I bought a good quality set such as Kooks? If you have headers, do you ever regret getting them? Will they drastically reduce my mpg? Not a huge issue, but I like getting 22ish. Anything 20 or better will still be fine. Opinions welcome!

Oh yeah... Really good chance I am getting a tune headers or not. Need to wake up that L99!
There are no reliability issues with LT headers as long as they are installed correctly. I definitely recommend getting quality headers such as KOOKS. We use and instal KOOKS headers on 90% of our shop projects as their fit and finish is second to none.

As for MPG, you can actually get slightly better mileage if you keep your foot out of it. But as most state, the new found power tends to cause your foot to be heavier.

As for the cats, We recommend going with the HFC (high flow cats) option because catless exhaust systems tend to be raspy and stink.. Plus there is only a mild 1-2 HP difference between HFC's and catless..

We have awesome specials going right now on KOOKS products. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
LT's+JRE tune =

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
My MPG went down, but I can't say for sure if it was because of the mod. I put my foot down more so there has not been fair testing. When I can test while keeping my foot out of it I will let you know.

I went with the ARH headers and they are amazing. Can't go wrong with any of the headers available for the most part though. If you are getting a tune either way, might as well throw the headers in too.
This.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Tundra View Post
I should have stated that I already have a CAI intake that I love. I have also deleted my mufflers. May have to put a good cat back system on there if I decide on headers. I don't know if the radio will get quite loud enough! would still like to be able to talk to my wife....Some! Would i have good enough gains just adding the LT's with the stock cats and the resonator? Or would spending all that money on headers be useless without hi-flow cats?
You cannot use stock cats with long tube headers. The length of the "long" tubes end the header far past the location of the stock cats - they just will not fit. Get the high flow cats with your headers. With your tune (get that from JRE by the way) you will get a nice performance AND sound improvement. Since you have already deleted the mufflers, I suggest just run it like that for a while and see if you like the way it sounds. If you don't, there are many options to change the sound. Just keep in mind that the money you spend on exhaust systems at that point will be for sound only. You are doing the right thing by starting with the headers. It will save you money in the long run.
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
DHSS

Drives: Empty
1 7/8" headers and magnaflow part# 16483 is the best mod for these cars. PERIOD. I was in love after that. No daily driver issues either.
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
1 7/8" headers and magnaflow part# 16483 is the best mod for these cars. PERIOD. I was in love after that. No daily driver issues either.
I have SW LT's , no cats and this catback. Nice at idle, low RPM's and just daily driving. Very loud and raspy at WOT.

I like it though.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
I purchased the JBA Stainless and Ceramic coated Long Tubes and they have been great and the price did not kill me. I did have a tune done and I went up in MPG when I can keep my foot out of it.

Link to JBA LT's.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=jba*

Last edited by 2010 4 DW; 03-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Headers, cats or no cats, you will be fine as long as you get a good tune.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
headers no cats and a corsa system would be perfect. after my lt header install the stock system sounded ok at wot but was still pretty mild at idle. also i have no cats and do not get the smell people talk about.
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote