Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Damn straight!!!
Me having an obsession with my car is putting it mildly lol
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #16
Cangt77

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS Manual
If I get long tubes though I would obviously have to take off my high flow cats correct though? That is one thing I was thinking about in my future
Cangt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #17
monSSter

Drives: 2017 SS
My tuner has LTs with off road pipes, I have shorties with hi flo cats. And his car dynos 8rwhp more than mine. If you plan on doing a cam, gears, blower, ect. Than you need LTs. But if your just looking to make your daily driver a bit more fun, than u got the best bang for your buck. In my opinion....
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monSSter View Post
My tuner has LTs with off road pipes, I have shorties with hi flo cats. And his car dynos 8rwhp more than mine. If you plan on doing a cam, gears, blower, ect. Than you need LTs. But if your just looking to make your daily driver a bit more fun, than u got the best bang for your buck. In my opinion....
Your tuner either sucks or his car is on 7 cylinders or the dyno is not set up correctly, sorry but I'm calling BS.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
monSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Your tuner either sucks or his car is on 7 cylinders or the dyno is not set up correctly, sorry but I'm calling BS.
I don't see why it's so hard to believe. They are both L99s. One with LTs and one with shorties. Nothing else. What kind of gains do you expect? I'm pretty sure it was 8rwhp. If it was more, it wasn't anything significant. I picked up my set up from the classifieds here for less than 190$ with the high flo cats. So in my eyes, yes I did get more bang for my buck.. Or I could have dropped 1k plus to get the same gains I have have now with wut maybe 8-15 HP? But like I said it was IN MY OPINION, based on my situation. No need to loose sleep
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Yes, you did get a good bang for YOUR buck. I think what litle88 is saying though is that, with a good/proper tune, the gain differential of LTs over shorties is greater than 8 rwhp.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #21
monSSter

I see what he's saying. Just don't like the way he comes off. My dyno sheets in car, I'm gonna say my max pull was around 374 HP with my current set up. can someone post wut there L99s putting out with LTs and cats? Thanks. Just for a good comparison
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Are you serious? Come on man it doesn't matter it its an L99 you are not 8hp short of a Lt car with your shorties. Don't come in here saying that because you'll look like a really complete newbie, which you might be BUT then you must do some more research. Shorties do nothing really. Trust me I'm not loosing sleep on some wild claims lol.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
monSSter

I see u had a lot of work done to your car. Do you remember wut your dyno pull was with just LTs?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Headers should produce about 30 rwhp more than a car with shorties.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I've had shorties before my lts and there's a big difference. Shorties do add some power but nothing like what lts did for me. I dropped 1/2 a sec on the 1/4 making the switch. Never had my car dynoed but timeslips never lie.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
RichP

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert L99
Easy for me to believe because you did shorties + high flow cats. (did you tune? what did the tune add?)

On a stock motor L99 most of the gain people see with Long Tubes is from removal of the factory cats and then the tune adds some more.

Most of the low power gains from those who did shorties are because they kept the stock cats on.

Just about everyone on this forum agrees that the factory cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monSSter View Post
I don't see why it's so hard to believe. They are both L99s. One with LTs and one with shorties. Nothing else. What kind of gains do you expect? I'm pretty sure it was 8rwhp. If it was more, it wasn't anything significant. I picked up my set up from the classifieds here for less than 190$ with the high flo cats. So in my eyes, yes I did get more bang for my buck.. Or I could have dropped 1k plus to get the same gains I have have now with wut maybe 8-15 HP? But like I said it was IN MY OPINION, based on my situation. No need to loose sleep
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangt77 View Post
I got my solo high flows installed today with my borla atak (LOVE the sound) but the guy who installed it was telling me that most people dont run cats and they I "wouldent pick up any power gains" with the solo high flows. Is this true? Is there any power difference or gains by adding the high flows or would I get more HP if I deleted the cats? I just want them so I can pass emissions and so the car doesn't smell like rotten eggs lol. Any info would be appreciated!
say, do you have any sound clips of you exhaust set up you can share?
Gus
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Never once have i smelled rotten eggs. In my garage i might have a slight fuel smell but, i don't smell it on the streets at all unless i'm at a dead stop and maybe the wind kicks it up in my face just right.

What i do have however is a Camaro that sounds like it should.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote