Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Go to hang out with like minded people and have fun. Trophies are space wasting dust collectors. If you win a trophy. Great. If not oh well.
Exactly! I go to have fun.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
pears2

Drives: 2011 Black/Silver Synergy Series
Around here most car shows are very subjective depending on who is hosting and judging the show. IMO, a Camaro does not have a chance of winning at a Ford Mustang sponsored show.

I’ve attended shows where I’ve witnessed a 2010 Mini Cooper S beat out a mid 60’s [fully resorted] Austin Healy, in the foreign car category. Not sure how that was determined but it was what it was...

I’ve discovered, you can tell how your car will be judged by how the judges approach your vehicle. Some judges stand-back and look at the paint from different angles, then approach and look at the entire car as a whole. Other judges’ walk up to the car, look at the judging sheet and start writing down numbers, then walk away; spending about 2 minutes at your vehicle. Some judges spend a significant amount of time looking at the smaller details and others just glance at the car.

I attended a show a few weeks ago, where I saw the judges walking around carrying flattened cardboard boxes. They would approach the car, lay on the flattened cardboard and slide under the car, to exam the undercarriage.

I’ve heard judges say “I’ll never reward an owner who purchases a new car and puts it in a car show. Car shows are for restored cars only.” On the other hand, I’ve seen judges spend 2 minutes at a fully restored 57 Chevy and 20 minutes at a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport.

I would recommend doing what makes you happy and fits within your budget. If 600 HP, lowered with vertical doors is your thing, then go for it. If keeping your car stock and clear is you thing…go for it.

It’s all about freedom of choice but remember “You can’t win it if you’re not in it.”

Good Luck
pears2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Sorry but if your modding with the intent of having the car win a trophy and not doing it to reflect your personality your doing it wrong. The way I see it is the trophy is just icing on the cake after your hard work.
Agreed 100%. I've done a lot of work to my 1994 Camaro - including an engine swap and "bling bling" on the engine bay. I've customized the exterior, engine bay, interior, undercarriage, etc. I've won a few trophies along the way, but the main point of going to the show is seeing all the cars and hanging out with friends - if I take a trophy home it's a humbling surprise, but I'm there first and foremost to see other cars and hang with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
I don't think my car has it to win a car-show.
Not yet.
However it is extremely clean and almost 100 original except for my muffler delete.
IMHO you need to do *something* to make your car stand out. I organize the Michigan FBody Meet & Greet every year and the past few years we've had well over 200 FBodies attend - and the past two years it seems like half of them are 5th gens.

This season's show we had judges pick the winners for each of our generation-based trophies (IE 1st Place - 1st Gen, 2nd Place - 1st Gen, 3rd Place - 1st Gen, etc) and I got stuck with 5th gen because no one else wanted to do it.

With about a hundred 5th gens to judge, it was no easy task. And I quickly ruled out in my head that anyone with a "factory fresh" 5th gen wouldn't go home with a trophy no matter how clean it was.

I walked the show looking for 5th gens that were customized and had something unique. In most cases, the cars that had custom airbrushed artwork were the ones that really caught my eye - especially if the airbrushing tied in the exterior and the engine bay together (IE some sort of airbrushing on the hood which then was duplicated on the engine cover).

A cold air intake, IMHO, isn't enough to make a 5th gen stand out against another 5th gen with a custom airbrushed engine cover.

That said - judging is 100% subjective and just because I chose to go that route doesn't mean that someone else who judges 5th gens might see a really, really clean 5th gen that's all stock and decides to give it a trophy... but if there's multiple 5th gens involved, you need something unique and that stands out in the crowd.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Go big or Go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
What mods have some of you guys used to win @ car-shows?
Who has the most trophies?
My car's biggest asset at car shows is custom work. Bolt on modifications are good and nessacary for some things but any time you can do something custom, it's beneficial and adds personal detail. I have a custom stereo "design" & etchings, strut tower brace, and lighting modifications. And those are without doubt the things that get the most attention on my car.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
A lot of the car shows is a "who you know" thing too.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
My car is completely stock in appearance with the exception of window tint, CAI, and exhaust pipes. 3 trophies to date.

I go to car shows for fun, with no intention of winning anything.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #21

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
To win, the highest quality double-stick tape must be used for external add-ons....and don't forget to project a "WTF...I better win or I'll be pissed" attitude at all times....Then, when you don't win anything, just blame it on older guys who've been building cars for longer than you've been alive and who, in your opinion, probably don't know anything about cars....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
What mods have some of you guys used to win @ car-shows?
Who has the most trophies?
I've got dozens in my attic collecting dust. Lets sum it up > Sad questions.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
At a car show I try to stay by my car until it has been judged. It may just be coincidence but each time I have won a trophy I was there to answer questions from the judges. They have asked me what kind of wax do I use, do you do it by hand or a orbital buffer, how many miles are on the car. I got to tell them that I have been to the track a few times and what I was able to do at the track. I think they would prefer to give a trophy to someone that knows about their car, enjoys their car and has a passion for cars compared to someone that is not a car guy who could afford to mod the crap out of their car and just expects this is enough to win.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
Hellz yeah. Def a wiener!
You forgot the signature gold chain.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
At a car show I try to stay by my car until it has been judged. It may just be coincidence but each time I have won a trophy I was there to answer questions from the judges. They have asked me what kind of wax do I use, do you do it by hand or a orbital buffer, how many miles are on the car. I got to tell them that I have been to the track a few times and what I was able to do at the track. I think they would prefer to give a trophy to someone that knows about their car, enjoys their car and has a passion for cars compared to someone that is not a car guy who could afford to mod the crap out of their car and just expects this is enough to win.
I like your answer, well put!
Thx.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Don't really need mods. Just a clean car. Nothing over the top. But unless you're in classes the old school muscle will beat you out most of the time
Old 09-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #28
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Im going to start doing charity shows. My car is all stock except I have painted on stripes and OTR. I went to one of the biggest shows we have around here and there were only 4 or 5 5th gens. All were just bolt ons and all were autos. I would have been the only one that had painted stripes and a stick. All had CAIs but mine is from a local shop New Era. I like stock. never been much for bling. I like things that make it go. At this show some people entered regular vehicles like a bone stock 85 f150. Granted it was a solid southern truck but the paint was faded. But hay he donated $15 to Mercy Flight and got to park in the show instead of down the road.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote