Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I posted this one other spot, but I went through some shallow standing water, and the force of the water coming up from the front left was enough to push the plastic inner fender past the fender lip, causing some damage to that lip. I will avoid standing water of any depth in this car going forward.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Just never go through any standing water if you can avoid it. I once lost a car in a flash flood. It was raining very hard. I was returning from a job interview on a road I had never been on before. Under a railroad trestle there was water across the road that looked to be inches deep & a couple of feet wide. What I could not see was that on the other side of the trestle, water was coming over the retaining wall like a waterfall & water was rising very fast. There was also a dip in the road under the water. By the time my rear wheels hit the dip my exhaust went under the water & the car died. I was shocked but figured I could push my car out of the water. When I opened my door water rushed over my lap. I only had time to grab my purse & walked out in by then waist deep water with debri rushing past me. The water continued to rise to completely cover my new Cavalier & it remained covered for 18 hours before a tow truck could get it out. I lost my car & was lucky I was able to get out. Water is dangerous stuff. Fairly shallow rushing water can easily push a car off the road. Our cars have such low clearance, I am not taking any chances. I will just turn around.

Thanks Jan that's what I was alluding to when I asked why would you even try it.You and your car travel into an unknown depth of water the car and you get swept away.Now in a worse case scenario someone that may have a family has to risk their life to rescue you for doing something well for a lack of a better word stupid.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
I found myself once going through a puddle in my 3rd gen. Camaro which got progressively deeper (Tropical Storm Gordon back in 1990s).....I had water breaking over the hood, but got through with no damage because I didn't stop.....the front of your car pushes a bow wave of water ahead of it, as long as you keep going your engine will be behind the water being pushed out of the way.....once you stop or slow to a point your no longer pushing water in front of you is when you get swamped. The door seals even kept water out of the interior, and my Camaro was none the worse for the encounter.

A far better solution is to avoid driving through standing water, but if you get into it I don't recommend stopping.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyone View Post
Does the mentioned intake sit lower than ones that are mounted at a similar height to stock? I have a Rotofab.. Should I worry?
Yes, look under the driver side front bumper on your car and there is a triangular opening. The filter sits right there. I have now switched to a halltech 102 intake but If I had a normal height filter then I wouldn't have had any issues, however it wasn't my intent to drive through the water in the first place. It was night time, raining so hard your wipers can't keep up, I was in town heading out of town on a non-lit road, going about 10 mph. Cars were still coming towards me so no warning there, an SUV passed me and the water off his tires flooded my windshield and before it cleared I felt my motor take the hit and it was too late I was in knee deep water and was SOL. If you can avoid it take an alternate path. If you can't avoid it stay where you are, if you're not sure get out and check yourself or let some other poor sob like me find out for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I was once behind a truck and the water was 4" above the road, he went ahead and found out where the culvert had washed out it was about 12' deep. Like previously said, if you can't see the pavement, don't try it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
I wouldn't intentionally drive through water that deep guys! I was just asking, for some current events peaked my curiosity. I don't plan in turning around if I were to ever run into a puddle though (less than 4 inches deep)... That's silly. Just go slow and make sure you don't year anything off from the force of the water. Anyone have any flood pictures they would like I share? I love pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .
Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
I've gone through water up to half the wheel height going 80. Don't do it. That's all, just don't do it.
Talk about pull... Going into water half that height at 15 mph is enough to pull you off the road, I can only imagine how much damage that caused. The best hope for that is that you could possibly "skip over" the water if it was a puddle only, but that's not very likely with a 3800 lb piece of machinery... What happened?! Bumper must have been very damaged, at the least. Hope you didn't get hurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Don't ever proceed into standing water. Shoot, I hate when I go through a puddle on the road that comes up out of nowhere!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
Depends on your intake. If you have the SLP blackwing cold air intake. Door silk height will get you nothing but this.
Which SLP Blackwing are you talking about? I have the Blackwing too and it uses the stock air box. The only parts that were changed are the tube from the air box to the throttle body and the actual air filter inside the box. I guess there's another version of the Blackwing?

The main reason I chose the Blackwing is because it uses the stock air box and decreases the chances of sucking water into the intake.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Living in Flo(od)rida, the roads surrounding my neighborhood, my neighborhood, plus a lot of road around town flood like no other when it just barely rains. My best advice is to completely avoid it if possible and don't chance something that "looks" shallow. Even if there is traffic behind you let those idiots test it out for you, have done this a lot of the time as driving the Camaro and a G6 is not like driving an SUV or Truck
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Da Mammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Which SLP Blackwing are you talking about? I have the Blackwing too and it uses the stock air box. The only parts that were changed are the tube from the air box to the throttle body and the actual air filter inside the box. I guess there's another version of the Blackwing?

The main reason I chose the Blackwing is because it uses the stock air box and decreases the chances of sucking water into the intake.
SLP made a cold air blackening that came with a replacement washer bottle and the intake filter was way down in the bumper where your stock washer fluid bottle is.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
Da Mammer

That was then this is now
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I cracked my exhaust in my 92' while driving through water years ago.

I hear just 6" of swift moving water can take you off your feet.

We have low riding cars...it's just not worth it.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
I drive this through water lol or anything else I need to for that matter.
Attached Images

MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote