Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
^^^ that is amazing. I'm not a particular fan of t-tops but that looks really good. Love how it keeps a coupe shape but gives some open air driving too.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #16
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
T-Tops should have been left behind in the 80s
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Even though I have T-tops, and love them, I almost agree. I'll have to see how the sunroof (assuming there's going to be one) looks, but I still really like the 'hawk.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Even though I have T-tops, and love them, I almost agree. I'll have to see how the sunroof (assuming there's going to be one) looks, but I still really like the 'hawk.

Not a chance. I use my t-tops as much as I can. They don't leak. They make for a perfect sunroof. They also have shades that go on to keep out the sun. And, it's not like a convertible where someone can slice open the top leaving a huge gaping hole. T-tops are bad@ss. They even lock in place. Sorry you don't like them, but every Camaro I've had, has had them. And, if they were offered again, I'd pick them up w/out hesitation. They look great on the 4th Gens and could look great if done RIGHT on the 5th Gens.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

I don't even really know why I don't use them more. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but there are other things on the 5th. Gen. that I would prioritize (?sp?) over the T-tops.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I know...I'd rather have other things too...but I lOOOOVE those t-tops.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #22
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
A T-Top would be a great option. I'm hoping we do see a Firebird using the new camaro platform and T-top's as well sometime down the road. This version below looks better than the new camaro in my opinion..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #23
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
One member, I forgot who, kept saying they couldn't do T-tops because of safety regulations, especially the need for side curtain airbags. But, since the Solstice Coupe with a targa roof was just announced, I think we can assume it is possible for GM to put T-tops on a new car. The question now is just a matter of body flex, leaking, and actual demand for such a feature. I wouldn't completely rule it out for future redesigns.
The Solstice coupe will legally be a convertible which lets GM avoid the engineering and testing expenses of meeting the more stringent safety standards of a real coupe.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Chevy offered T-tops in a few years when sales start to slow down. It would probably use the same “loophole” as the Solstice coupe, so maybe it wouldn’t have the B pillars either (no rollover tests for ‘verts). I'd rather have a real convertible (hard or soft).

Or maybe the side curtain airbags come out of the B pillar and Scott is holding out on us…
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
The Solstice coupe will legally be a convertible which lets GM avoid the engineering and testing expenses of meeting the more stringent safety standards of a real coupe.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Chevy offered T-tops in a few years when sales start to slow down. It would probably use the same “loophole” as the Solstice coupe, so maybe it wouldn’t have the B pillars either (no rollover tests for ‘verts). I'd rather have a real convertible (hard or soft).

Or maybe the side curtain airbags come out of the B pillar and Scott is holding out on us…
That's quite a stretch for t's. I'd still take a moonroof over t-tops. You can close it on the fly if it starts raining and structural rigidity is very minimally affected.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #26
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
That's quite a stretch for t's. I'd still take a moonroof over t-tops. You can close it on the fly if it starts raining and structural rigidity is very minimally affected.
you know... the way that pic is done it almost looks like Chevy could make a power T-Top where you can make one side open and the other side stay closed or whatever. if they could do that relatively cheaply it would be sweet. therefore making the "inconvenience" of T-Tops go away. i would get one with them if they did that... or a hardtop convertible i'm not sure really...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #27
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post

Where did you read/hear the new Solstice Coupe will be legally considered a convertible? Is the top removable on that car?

Chevy will not 'add t-tops' when sales slow down, way too much costs involved in engineering as well as the safety concerns already mentioned.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #28
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
For those who are upset about the t-tops, I am still upset you can't roll the back window down!

2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote