Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
CamaroDreams07, Adam's, and Surf City are all authorities -- consider them Yoda.

Me, i am amateur OCD and take the car to a professional every 18 months for polishing - i am a woman in my late 50's and i can't rock that Porter Cable as well as the guys.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Corvette 2LT
Since you ventured here on Camaro 5 forum try some other forums like Autogeek, Autopia, Surf City and Chemical guys and read posts on there. You can go crazy with all the products and advice

They also have some good videos there also.

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
OP take the good advice of most here. Use only top line products from trusted on line dealers and you won't be sorry. You paid good money for your car why cheep out on your detailing supplies.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
ShadowDan21
GM Advocate

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
I agree, thank you very much everyone for the great feedback! I have a read a few other forums as well and have found that paste wax > liquid > spray. I also (seem to) understand that the more carnauba in the wax, the vehicle's paint would appear "deeper" and "more reflective" color. When I purchase the new Camaro next year, I'll be sure to buy only the finest-quality car care products to pamper my baby...

Below is a few pictures I just took from my phone after washing with Meg's Gold-Class Car Wash (very impressed!), dried with the Abosrber chamois (I'm starting to think some of my minor swirl marks are caused by this thing.. now it only streaks water and squeaks when I wipe), polished with some NuFinish (I know, not the best.. it was what my dad used long time ago and he had left over ), and finally waxed with the rest of my Mother's M-Tech black spray wax. I am impressed with the results (considering I have never clay-bared or polished before).

"Does it come in black?"
- Bruce Wayne
ShadowDan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The Absorber. A great product for sucking up liquid, but as you have found, it will allow grit to scratch the clearcoat.

I like the spray waxes for ease of use, plus on a dark color car, the paste wax sticks in chips, showing up as a white rash on my dark blue car. I still use a paste wax but not often.

It seems to me that the spray waxes leave a greasy film. I can see it when I look very closely at the paint, maybe 6-8 inches away, at just the right angle. I can create a sun reflection in a certain way, then wipe with a microfiber, and make the glare reflect in another direction.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
ShadowDan21
GM Advocate

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The Absorber. A great product for sucking up liquid, but as you have found, it will allow grit to scratch the clearcoat.

I like the spray waxes for ease of use, plus on a dark color car, the paste wax sticks in chips, showing up as a white rash on my dark blue car. I still use a paste wax but not often.

It seems to me that the spray waxes leave a greasy film. I can see it when I look very closely at the paint, maybe 6-8 inches away, at just the right angle. I can create a sun reflection in a certain way, then wipe with a microfiber, and make the glare reflect in another direction.
So do you still use The Absorber? I am thinking of purchasing a waffle-weave towel eventually.

Which paste wax do you use? What do you mean by "sticks in chips"? Like, the paste " catches" and scratches the paint or? Also, for a paste wax (or possibly liquid), would you recommend a foam applicator pad or microfiber applicator pad?

And yeah, I do notice the spray does leave a bit of residue. Fortunately, it is black, so I can't see it unless I look from a certain angle in bright light. A quick wipe with a MF towel will do the trick!

"Does it come in black?"
- Bruce Wayne
ShadowDan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I never let The Absorber touch my Camaro's paint, but I use it to dry my wheels, glass, and a few other things. but nothing body colored.

When you apply a paste wax, it will go into the depression a chip leaves. When you buff off, some of the wax can stay in the depression and when it dries, it leaves a white residue. I don't mean that paste wax damages paint.

As for an applicator, I've found that anything rougher than an angel's wings or a kitten's breath scratches my paint...
Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I use an absorber but I clean the crap out of it after each use and never drag it over the paint. just use it to blot up the excess water then use a Dry me a river waffle weave to knock out what is left. I use a master blaster for rims, grill and crevices.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
As for an applicator, I've found that anything rougher than an angel's wings or a kitten's breath scratches my paint...

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #24
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDan21 View Post
So do you still use The Absorber? I am thinking of purchasing a waffle-weave towel eventually.
With a synthetic chamois like the absorber you do run a higher risk of introducing damage. Like mentioned above you can 'blot' with it to minimize that risk though.

Microfiber also allows you to use a drying aid, like a Detail Spray, to lubricate and add a little gloss to the finish while you dry (also helps prevent water spots). Trying the same process with a synthetic chamois, or a real one for that matter, and you'll just end up smearing the spray around and leaving a streaky mess, not to mention probably make a mess of your absorber.

Overall a quality microfiber drying towel is simply going to out perform things like the absorber.
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autozone, black, clean, meguiar's, wax