Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
BreedsAS

Drives: 16 Camaro: Mosaic/2SS/A8/NPP/Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
OEM wheels are overbuilt, and are stronger than pretty much anything else. If I were you guys, I'd indeed just get a second set. After hearing stories of bent Forgestars (just do a search), I'd stay away from them. In fact, one of the members got a set of CF5Vs at 19x11 to be used at the track this last summer, and he bent both fronts only after 2 track days at VIR. YMMV
OEs are far from overbuilt.
Being in the wheel industry, I have seen numerous OE wheels bent just like aftermarket wheels. From AMGs, M series, and supposed "forged" wheels from various OE manufacturers.
Most OE wheels are manufactured in China just like most aftermarket brands. As a matter of fact, a wheel repair company I contract damaged wheels out to said they see so many more damaged OEs, the aftermarket wheels. That statement is confounded though because there are a lot more stock wheels on the road than aftermarket ones.

'16 Chevy Camaro 2SS Auto - Mosaic Black l Kalahari Interior l NPP l Nav l Sunroof.
Prismatic 22" concave Koko Wheels l Lexani Tires l GM Splitter l ACS Rockers l ACS Spoiler l BMR Drop l Limo tint l Smoked Lighting l Debadged l LEDs l WeatherTech l More to come...
YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq4...9-q-ccCuqVONUw
BreedsAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedsAS View Post
Being in the wheel industry, I have seen numerous OE wheels bent just like aftermarket wheels. From AMGs, M series, and supposed "forged" wheels from various OE manufacturers.
Most OE wheels are manufactured in China just like most aftermarket brands. As a matter of fact, a wheel repair company I contract damaged wheels out to said they see so many more damaged OEs, the aftermarket wheels. That statement is confounded though because there are a lot more stock wheels on the road than aftermarket ones.
I'm talking specifically about OEM Z/28 wheels. Besides the regular torture cycle all OEM GM wheels need to survive, these wheels also need to go through additional harsher torture tests with no susceptible damage. I'd trust these wheels over anything else being offered.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 PM   #17
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedsAS View Post
What specifically do you do "being in the wheel industry" that you have derived your opinion above? I am concerned you are making such a generalization based on what you have seen from other OEMs

The Z/28 along with the ZL1/1LE and CTS-V wheels are forged wheels made by Alcoa. As mentioned above they not only have to pass the GM pass car validation but they also must pass the GM race car validation testing which have a more stringent requirement. I am willing to bet short of an accident you wiil not see one of these wheels come across your counter at work.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
lmcgrew79

Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
I ordered a 2nd set.

lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
Lightsaber

Drives: conscientiously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
What specifically do you do "being in the wheel industry" that you have derived your opinion above? I am concerned you are making such a generalization based on what you have seen from other OEMs

The Z/28 along with the ZL1/1LE and CTS-V wheels are forged wheels made by Alcoa. As mentioned above they not only have to pass the GM pass car validation but they also must pass the GM race car validation testing which have a more stringent requirement. I am willing to bet short of an accident you wiil not see one of these wheels come across your counter at work.
So indeed the Z/28 wheels are Alcoa one-piece forged aluminium wheels? Good to know! I thought they were cast aluminium wheels.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #20
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Nice article!!!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
BlackMagik

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/28
Knowing that the wheels tuck but ultimately fit, what kind of wheel spacers would be required for proper fitment? Has anyone explored this?
BlackMagik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagik View Post
Knowing that the wheels tuck but ultimately fit, what kind of wheel spacers would be required for proper fitment? Has anyone explored this?
I could once I receive my new ZL1 wheels.

On the other though. The rear Z/28 wheels look good on the rear. Upfront the Z/28 wheels stick out about 2 inches on the ZL1.

More to come.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #23
Z28pex

Drives: 2015 Z28
After reading several post, I also ordered the Z28 OEM wheels for my 2nd set.
Attached Images

Z28pex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #24
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Do you guys buying these OEM wheels have a place to get them at a decent price? Some dealers mark their prices up more than others. I would like to get a set for my car but I sure do not want to pay more at one place when I could have got a better deal some where else.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #25
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
The OEM Z/28 wheel should sell in the $590 range. (Retail is roughly $799 if memory serves me correctly) There is supposed to be a $50 core, but you should be able to get that waived by the dealer.

I use Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet in Woodhaven, MI. She ships all over the country.

Matt
Old 08-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #26
Z28pex

Drives: 2015 Z28
I purchased the wheels from the same dealership that I purchased the z/28 from. I checked the invoice, list was 895.00 each, and I was charged 644.40 plus a 50.00 core for each wheel. I also ordered sensors, caps, and lug nuts. Total out the door was 3292.22 and that included taxes with a local pickup, so no shipping charges were incurred. Other dealers may have better pricing, but this is the best I could do and I got a real good deal on the car.
Z28pex is offline   Reply With Quote