Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #15
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Sad news, I hope you all find work that is comparable, we all (well most of us) appreciate the quality and passion that was put into our cars. I hope our country can do it as well as you did, Thank You!
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #16
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
man that is sad. GM should at least create a new model of car to take its place.

Any idea where the new Camaro plant is going to be?
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #17
LBJ

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LS. M6
Sorry to here that. most of us has gone through is in life
but thank you for making such a fine car
Mods..mrt v2. Cai intake v max throttle body. 20% windo tint & RX catch can Gianna 20in rims nitto 555 & afterburner tail lights RS halo head lights & gm heat extractor 4 pack gauges & panted heritage Grille & zl1rear sproler t5 splitter custom head rest
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 AM   #18
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
man that is sad. GM should at least create a new model of car to take its place.

Any idea where the new Camaro plant is going to be?
Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant in Lansing, MI

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 AM   #19
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Forgive me for not being specific enough. Welcome to the "United States."

If it puts United States citizens back to work, or at least the place of assembly back in the states, I don't care what's opens in another country. If it makes me an @$$hole, so be it!
You achieved it!

Guess the ship sailed for you on the whole global economy thing, huh?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #20
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
Maybe they will move the plant to Texas so they can be built by Mexicans ??

Don't laugh about this one...in the same report as GM Oshawa losing 1000 jobs, the big three are investing huge sums of money in Mexico for new plants and equipment......

apparently, they pay $8./ hour including benefits in Mexico...
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #21
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
They would be happy with $5/hr and 1/2 benefits in Mexico.

It sucks for that other country, sure, but they'll adapt. If not, they'll be in the situation the United States has been in or got put into when jobs left.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #22
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
GM has been making stuff in Mexico for long time too and those people need jobs just as much as Canadians. It's a global company and I don't care who makes it as long as they do a good job, which is the real problem here (concerning the cars not the people who have to find new jobs). The Oshawa team did a pretty damn good job building the GenVs. I hope their replacements do the same.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #23
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
Don't laugh about this one...in the same report as GM Oshawa losing 1000 jobs, the big three are investing huge sums of money in Mexico for new plants and equipment......

apparently, they pay $8./ hour including benefits in Mexico...

General Motors announced yesterday it will invest $5.4 billion in U.S plant improvements during the next three years, including details of $783.5 million for three Michigan facilities.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #24
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...this-year.html

GM Canada announced today that 1000 jobs will be lost at the Oshawa flex line plant when the current generation Camaro ceases production there on Nov.20. (later than expected?)

Workers interviewed on the local news this evening were not very happy, as there is no forthcoming announcement of a vehicle to take the Camaro's place at the plant - and if there is to be an announcement, it won't happen until after the new contract is negotiated with the CAW later in 2016.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/gm-canad...ions-1.2352138

Many of us have developed relationships with plant employees through BBOMG events. It just seems so very sad that the fine people in Oshawa responsible for putting the 5th Gen car together and helping to make it the success that it's been, have to deal with this.

Best regards,

Elie
That's sad. I hope they will get hired back to produce something else for GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
Chevrolet was started in 1918 in Oshawa, Canada.
And the founder was born in Switzerland and of French descent.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #25
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I feel for the good folks at Oshawa who will be effected by this. They have produced a great product in the 5th Gen. They deserve better. Hopefully those who will be losing their jobs will get picked up for another production line... somewhere. I wish they could all be moved to Lansing to work on the 6th Gen.

I'm a little confused about the November shutdown date for the 5th Gen line, but I suppose that includes mothballing or relocating 5th Gen specific production equipment. Sounds pretty late to me - may also be a result of the current CAW contract and reflects a worker layoff date rather than a stop-production date. Surely the production of 2015MY Camaros has essentially ceased already. It also seems to me that the Lansing plant should begin building 6th Gens, well... any day now to satisfy dealer demands by October or so. I wonder if this all implies it may be Spring of 2016 before the first 6th Gens hit the dealer lots.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #26
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
My condolences to the Camaro Build Team, I hope GM brings a new model there to keep everyone employed. Thank You for the time, dedication and pride you built these cars with, the quality is second to none! Best wishes and again, Thank You!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #27
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
And the founder was born in Switzerland and of French descent.
Also, after they sold their namesake company to GM, the Chevrolet bros. built and fielded model-Ts for the Indy 500.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
GM has been making stuff in Mexico for long time too and those people need jobs just as much as Canadians. It's a global company and I don't care who makes it as long as they do a good job, which is the real problem here (concerning the cars not the people who have to find new jobs). The Oshawa team did a pretty damn good job building the GenVs. I hope their replacements do the same.
The quality and craftmanship between mexico...and the canadian and american workers is huge.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote