Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: What brand catch can do you want brandX to be?
Apex 6 11.11%
Elite engineering 34 62.96%
RX performance 11 20.37%
Mishimoto 2 3.70%
Cusco 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
I use RX performance catch can and after the first oil change I must say it really does it's job. I installed it in March and when I went to empty it, a nice amount came out. I am very happy with this purchase and it was well worth the money, when the car hits 25k I will see what the valves will look like. But like you said you get what you pay for.
Make sure your emptying your can often. I'm not sure on how often you drive and how much you enjoy (high rpm) your Camaro but if can fills up I'm assuming it will begin to pull into your motor. Sorry just a friendly reminder. Not saying you do not empty. I'm going to be switching cans soon and seeing if this currently acting secondary can will still extract more than the current primary soon to be secondary can. Will be interesting to know...
Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #16
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

This is how the setup currently is. You will notice up front the moroso can followed by the brandX to the right.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #17
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbatt79 View Post
You got other issues if at 35k you got gunk like that.

Thankfully I have a V8 and no need for one of the Catch cans, mostly they catch snake oil.
This may come as insulting, but it's not meant to be, but you just gave away the fact, that you have never worked on engines before. Sorry man.

All kinds of warranty claims and TSB reports, at dealerships these days, Audi, etc you name it, with intake tract gunk issues at those mileage intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Dont get them started they think they know better than the people who designed the cars. And the 'performance' catchcan shops that will sell you 30 dollars worth of material and labor for 150 all day long
This is a too generalized term. The are many groups involved in who "designed the car".

From engineering, design to marketing let's not forget profit aka accounting, to legalities, to lawyers..

What were PCV, etc systems designed for??? That's right, not performance, but emissions.

Recirculating everything back into the intake tract is not rocket science, but it sure is a logical approach(or is it?) to keeping the greens happy, end of story.

This method usually suffices for the first owner lease . Consequent 2nd owner will elect for the "dealer intake clean job" which is huge profit $$$ , speaking of who makes the cash as well here .

Sure catch cans are over priced to some degree, but I don't blame "the catch can". Blame the rediculous mark-up $$$ due to our Plutocracy and stagnated wages causing contrast.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #18
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
An RX Catch i take it?
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #19
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Lol your absolutely right Camaro dude. Let's not get to far off topic but hey look at the cost of an led, could get 10 for a penny. But you buy a Phillips led bulb for $20 for your lamp at home to save money... Are you really saving. Haha
Nighthawk89 the brandX catch will be disclosed sooner than later. Like I memtioned I'm running some personal and requested tests. The supplier was kind of upset about location of brandX due to the hear emitting from side of motor and the headers directly below the catch. However the brand x still caught more than the leading competition, who's can is in a cooler location. Most of you may know that catch can extract more in lower temps. More images and supporting data to come.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:55 AM   #20
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:

Thankfully I have a V8 and no need for one of the Catch cans, mostly they catch snake oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Dont get them started they think they know better than the people who designed the cars. And the 'performance' catchcan shops that will sell you 30 dollars worth of material and labor for 150 all day long

Keep in mind folks, a Direct Injected engine has no fuel passing thru the intake manifold or over the valves to help keep them clean. All the buildup of oil found in the intake and on the valves is from the oil vapor returning back into the engine to be burned again. Mandated by the government for emissions.

One of the reason you won't see a catch can on these from the factory, is it requires to be maintained like everything else, emptying the can. Hard to get people to change the oil let alone empty a catch can. Also, the government requires a sealed closed system, from the factory.

There is plenty of information all over the internet on this subject.

My current catch can (RX, one of the first ones to market) catches approximately 1 ounce of oil per 1000 miles. I now have 76K miles on my Camaro. Imagine the build-up of GUNK with 76 ounces of CRAP inside the manifold and on the valves. NO-THANK-YOU. So call it snake oil if you want. No problem for me. However, I can guarantee I will have a catch can on every one of my future DI engines from day one.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:57 AM   #21
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&WhiteEnvy View Post
Make sure your emptying your can often. I'm not sure on how often you drive and how much you enjoy (high rpm) your Camaro but if can fills up I'm assuming it will begin to pull into your motor. Sorry just a friendly reminder. Not saying you do not empty. I'm going to be switching cans soon and seeing if this currently acting secondary can will still extract more than the current primary soon to be secondary can. Will be interesting to know...

If driven hard (high RPM's) or in the winter (condensation) more oil will built up (fill up) faster, requiring more frequent emptying.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Pretty cool! I wish some C5 vendors would let me test their products for them! (I'M TALKING TO YOU, AGP...)

While reading I thought I was smart and figured "Brand X" was Apex. But looking at your picture makes me think RX. I'm more interested in guessing who the company is than in anything else.

Ignore the naysayers. $150 for an Apex Catch can (For me) to give me some piece of mind?!?! I didn't even think twice about it. And after ~9 months, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I've spent a lot more money on a lot less!! Go find something else to whine about.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #23
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
I would like to see this test done against the Mighty Mouse next if your doing multiple cans! Can't get anyone to show the internals of it, and this will be great if done with different brands to see how all of them actually function. Taco, he states the BrandX is a supporting vendor here...so can't be RX. Apex's is pretty new, I am leaning toward Elite Engineering as they are always working to improve. Time will tell, but I want to see the results more than anything. And rtCat is correct, port injection engines do not have the coking due to the fuel constantly spraying on the valves. We tear them down and see zero deposits at 150-200k miles, but do see the piston rings stuck in the groves due to the residue/varnish from the same oil ingestion and any tuner can tell you the detonation caused by the oil contaminating the A/F mixture by the knock retard. No engine does well ingestion crankcase oil.

Props to the OP for doing this! I want to see Mighty Mouse, Mike Norris, Phastek, etc. ALL done this way so we can all see once and for all just how effective each can is, and I can tell you as a GM tech, ALL DI engines need ALL the oil stopped, just not some of it.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #24
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AITI View Post
I would like to see this test done against the Mighty Mouse next if your doing multiple cans! Can't get anyone to show the internals of it, and this will be great if done with different brands to see how all of them actually function. Taco, he states the BrandX is a supporting vendor here...so can't be RX. Apex's is pretty new, I am leaning toward Elite Engineering as they are always working to improve. Time will tell, but I want to see the results more than anything. And rtCat is correct, port injection engines do not have the coking due to the fuel constantly spraying on the valves. We tear them down and see zero deposits at 150-200k miles, but do see the piston rings stuck in the groves due to the residue/varnish from the same oil ingestion and any tuner can tell you the detonation caused by the oil contaminating the A/F mixture by the knock retard. No engine does well ingestion crankcase oil.

Props to the OP for doing this! I want to see Mighty Mouse, Mike Norris, Phastek, etc. ALL done this way so we can all see once and for all just how effective each can is, and I can tell you as a GM tech, ALL DI engines need ALL the oil stopped, just not some of it.
When he said "brand x" I though Apex simply because of the letter X... Then it solidified it when he said supporting vendor. I don't know how long Apex has been active here (longer than me) but when "Apex Chase" was around he made some really helpful threads and posts.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
AITI
Account Suspended

Quote:

Shazbatt, when is the last time you removed an intake manifold and looked into the ports at the intake valves? We see most much worse that the OP's pics.

And this is ALL auto makers. Do a Google search and find hundreds of pictures from other techs from every car maker you could imagine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=inta...5khuU1WpszM%3A

And these same engines are showing valve guides worn to excessive tolerances in 20-30k miles as well from these deposits being pulled into the guides every cycle of the valve. Lots of benefits from DI, but this side effect is serious.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Black and White,

What did the inside of your intake manifold look like? Seems to me that your deposits look like oil from the valve guides rather than from the intake track.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
AITI
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Black and White,

What did the inside of your intake manifold look like? Seems to me that your deposits look like oil from the valve guides rather than from the intake track.
I'm going to assume it looked like all the LLT and LFX's we work on and was soaked with oil. The guides do wear prematurely from the deposits now being pulled into the guides with every cycle, but this or worse is what we see on every single one that comes into the shop for misfire, stumble, rough idle, etc.

Find a LLT car near you, takes 5 minutes to pull the plenum cover off and see yourself, and 10 minutes to pull the intake manifold itself so you can see clearly into the intake ports.

Hope he post pics of what his looked like.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #28
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Wiping out intake point prior to removal
Attached Images