Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #15
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
thanks for all the suggestions, will be tackling the install wednesday if all goes well!
At 7500 miles I can only assume this is not your DD. If it is you mode of transportation, start with the Sensors, make sure you can break them loose. I ended up twisting the threads out... Using PB Blaster and a torch....

15,000 miles on a 2014. Again my wife and I did it (Her car) on a Saturday afternoon. No problems... Make sure and get some Anti-Sieze for your sensors and bolts. Do you have a Torque wrench? Or one you can borrow. You don't want to over torque the bolts. Again 18 ft/lbs is not tight at all!
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #16
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Use a vice grip on the o2 sensors and hammer the vice grip. Mine didn't come out easily. Tried heating them and everything. Barely budged if at all. Came right off when I put vice grip around o2 sensor and hammer the vice.
I used the sealant with my original gaskets. No issues. I have Stainless Power 1 7/8 mated to stock exhaust. I used the new bolts provided. The old bolts took some endurance to get them loose. Wish I thought to spray them. I had approximately 45k miles on my 2010 when I did this install.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #17
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
I always spray the O2 where it meet the bung down with WD40. Let it soak a minute then pull them out. I have locked up plenty of O2s before and it sucks when you have to replace them.
Jason@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #18
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
At 7500 miles I can only assume this is not your DD. If it is you mode of transportation,

I would say it is my DD for 8 month out of the year and my work is pretty close by so don't put tons of miles on her, in the winter I drive a 07 Trail Blazer or walk to work.

Found my tube of blue loc-tite so have it ready for the bolts when I reinstall the headers. will pick up some zip ties and an extra set of header gaskets just in case. if I don't need them I will just return them on the way home.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #19
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Use a vice grip on the o2 sensors and hammer the vice grip. Mine didn't come out easily. Tried heating them and everything. Barely budged if at all. Came right off when I put vice grip around o2 sensor and hammer the vice.
I used the sealant with my original gaskets. No issues. I have Stainless Power 1 7/8 mated to stock exhaust. I used the new bolts provided. The old bolts took some endurance to get them loose. Wish I thought to spray them. I had approximately 45k miles on my 2010 when I did this install.
the vice grip idea seems like a good one, will give that a try if they give me problems.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 10-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #20
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
the vice grip idea seems like a good one, will give that a try if they give me problems.
They should call them vice strips. Cause if something is so tight a wrench wont break it free, then vice grips will just chew the crap out of it.

A good mini 6 inch pipe wrench will remove just about any thing. (including something someone destroyed with vice grips)
I deal with it at work enough
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
dentnshell

Vice Grips?????

I stripped the threads out..... leverage was not the problem. I have Snap-On O2 sensors socket and extra length ratchet... After PB Blaster didn't work... I used a MAP Torch....
I twisted the first O2 sensor in half. The second one I did a better job of working int in and out... still messed up the threads to the point I was afraid to use it on my new headers.... I didn't want to mess up the threads on the headers.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #22
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

OK....guess I will hit it up with pd blaster, let it set for a few, say a couple hail marys and pray they come off easy....LOL

Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #23
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Mine came apart very easily, even with over 100K miles on the clock. I sprayed everything down with penetrating oil (NOT WD-40) a few days before the install, and drove it. Another soak down just before disassembly.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #24
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if there is any concern with the threads just buy new ones.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #25
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
They should call them vice strips. Cause if something is so tight a wrench wont break it free, then vice grips will just chew the crap out of it.

A good mini 6 inch pipe wrench will remove just about any thing. (including something someone destroyed with vice grips)
I deal with it at work enough
Truth right there!

I just sprayed mine down a couple times with PB Blaster and picked up a new 7/8" box end I think was the size, got them ready, one quick blow with the rubber mallet and wallah.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #26
dentnshell

Ok, its Wednesday... Do you have the "Permagrin" yet?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #27
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

I put a canned SCT tune on for headers til I get my tune, M Y G O D !!!! this car scares the sh!t out of me (good thing) very obvious power jump! a little louder but not quit as loud and I thought it could be. sound bada$$!!! damn near threw it in a ditch leaving my brother in laws place. way more fun only bad thing other than taking twice as long as I thought it would was a slight chatter I hear at around 35-40 MPH, going to check around tomorrow, don't hear anything of it on the highway. Weird!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #28
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

easiest part was getting the O2 sensors out, didn't take them out til well after the car cooled down, and them came out with an open wrench and a couple taps of the hammer on each. worried the most about those things and it turned out to be the easiest, still had a heck of a time getting that dip stick back in. getting the bolts out/in of the passenger side was a pain in the rear. kept the spark plugs in but I was constantly pulling anything near them away. won't lie, I never want to do this again! but got through it and all is good accept that one chatter sound.

Last edited by jshaf; 10-08-2015 at 07:49 AM.