Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
pincushin3819

Drives: 11 AGP TT SS, 14 ECS C7
I've never tracked my Camaro, I mostly go to bike nights & run guys that think my car is a easy kill. But I have a Porsche turbo that is a blast at the track road Atlanta. I live in SC so not that bad of a haul. I do have a bunch of Go Pro runs & I idle clip on my phone but it won't let me post it.
pincushin3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 PM   #16
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
To be honest I like all the sounds from the turbo especially when they spool and of course the bov whoosh, the only two things I still need to do on mine for noise is reroute the wastegates back into the exhaust and then im going build a box to silence the oil return pump since my sounds like a expresso machine,, it would be easier for me to buy a different pump but I like the challenge
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #17
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-T View Post
My concern with the turbo's is the obvious one... heat! Have you tracked a TT car? if so, how many laps? The big downfall to me with the TT is that regardless of the power I want, the heat is always going to be there because the turbo is always going to be spinning. That said, I have read some great things about that AGP kit, and my track time would be very small. Might need to put that option back on the table, but a bit timid on the TT thing.

Thanks for the opinion!
If I were stuck between a ECS and Whipple, I would pick the ECS. In fact for a short time I was in the same boat as you. Deciding on what do to. After I narrowed down my decision to ECS, or turbos. I had to make up my mind on which turbo system to pick from. I did a shit ton of research and encourage you to do the same.

I have 0 heat issues, no heat soak. To be fair I run meth. But its all in the kit. Top mounted turbos will generate a ton of heat.

Quote:
I don't necessarily care if the under-hood looks perfectly stock.. Just don't want to mess up the natural aesthetics of the car.

Out of curiosity, how noisy is the TT kit? Any chance I could get a sound bite of the exhaust note your getting out of the turbo?

Check out my build thread, there are some videos in it that may be what your looking for, if not I am sure some one else will post it for you.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a 2014 SS and am looking to go FI in the new year!

The Novi price is nice... Have some friends in NJ that have a great rep in the corvette world, and have a nice package for a really good price.

On the flip side, I'm really interested in the whipple. The larger size and the cooling both look really promising. I'm concerned about the need for either changing or modifying the insert, though. The options I've seen for the "change" are the ACS option (I can at least get that in flat black if I want) or a carbon-fiber plate that looks similar to the stock option. That said, I'm wondering what the "modify" option is... is it as simple as removing the lower water shield? Ideally, I would like to keep as stock a look as possible, so if you have any insight/words of wisdom to lay on me they are most certainly appreciated.

Ideally, I want something that's fun on the street but also can handle some hot laps on a track day (road coarse). I'm particularly interested in anyone who's tracked either system (again, road coarse).

Any other antidotes from either side are also welcome as long as they come from experience (ie. don't tell me PD sucks because your Centi makes more power... If you want to tell me the whipple sucks, tell me about the problem you personally had with the whipple that made it suck).

Thanks guys!
-T
The best way to handle this is to Drive a car with a Whipple and Drive a car with a Novi then decide.

Don't rely on recommendations from a forum, everyone will recommend what they have or what they like not not necessarily what best fits your desires.

We have a Whipple on a truck with over 180,000 miles on the blower.

Only having replaced the belt 2 times.

I am happy to discuss all of your options if you give me a call.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #19
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
My concern with the turbo's is the obvious one... heat! Have you tracked a TT car? if so, how many laps? The big downfall to me with the TT is that regardless of the power I want, the heat is always going to be there because the turbo is always going to be spinning. That said, I have read some great things about that AGP kit, and my track time would be very small. Might need to put that option back on the table, but a bit timid on the TT thing.

Thanks for the opinion!
Heat is not an issue with a good kit. Cast parts, proper turbo location, etc.

If turbos were a concern for a track car I guess porsche, ferrari, mcclaren, bmw, bugatti, and most of the high end track cars need to get that memo.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Heat is not an issue with a good kit. Cast parts, proper turbo location, etc.

If turbos were a concern for a track car I guess porsche, ferrari, mcclaren, bmw, bugatti, and most of the high end track cars need to get that memo.
Shoot....those pesky Germans and I-talians don't know squat....they just make some damn fast rides.

If you add power, you need to add cooling. Plain and simple. Intake air, engine coolant, and gear box/diff oil cooling all need to be addressed. The power adder you choose does matter. But, choosing one power adder vs the other isn't the end of the choices you'll need to make if you're looking to make bigger power over a longer period of time (ie road racing).
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #21
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Agreed. Road racing with FI requires a hell of a lot of upgrades compared to a daily car with FI added. Just like drag/dig racing requires more driveline upgrades than a roll race car.

If it really is a road race car, I would look hard into keeping it NA.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #22
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
So have you decided on what your new years treat will be yet?
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #23
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
LOL BIG-T like Ted said you need to drive one. And see what you like. If you make it down here to Woodville FL. You can drive my little 633RWHP Whipple.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #24
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a 2014 SS and am looking to go FI in the new year!

The Novi price is nice... Have some friends in NJ that have a great rep in the corvette world, and have a nice package for a really good price.

On the flip side, I'm really interested in the whipple. The larger size and the cooling both look really promising. I'm concerned about the need for either changing or modifying the insert, though. The options I've seen for the "change" are the ACS option (I can at least get that in flat black if I want) or a carbon-fiber plate that looks similar to the stock option. That said, I'm wondering what the "modify" option is... is it as simple as removing the lower water shield? Ideally, I would like to keep as stock a look as possible, so if you have any insight/words of wisdom to lay on me they are most certainly appreciated.

Ideally, I want something that's fun on the street but also can handle some hot laps on a track day (road coarse). I'm particularly interested in anyone who's tracked either system (again, road coarse).

Any other antidotes from either side are also welcome as long as they come from experience (ie. don't tell me PD sucks because your Centi makes more power... If you want to tell me the whipple sucks, tell me about the problem you personally had with the whipple that made it suck).

Thanks guys!
-T
For a road course guy I think you should take any PD blower out of the option list. They are heat pumps that are great for short blasts of power and then need to cool down before the next blast. This is actual real world experience seeing all the over heated PD blower guys at the track. Centri cars are the only cars we see that can even come close to hanging with our turbo cars in endurance racing. So Novi seems to be the better match for what you want.
I will say of the PD blowers that fit under the Camaro hood, the Whipple is the way to go.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #25
williamp78

Drives: 2011 2ss blk/wht strp
turbo guys say go turbo, whipple guys say go whipple and so on. Lol I have a whipple no heat issues. I had a belt issue but it as cheasy belts stretching at 16psi. I have a HD belt now that was about 35 bucks. Instant power is pretty fun for me. Turbo is cool factor though. Check out some rides and go with your gut. Cheaper is not better thats always a fact. OR just build your engine. No more reliability than NA. My opinion. Like it or dont. If i was taking advice it would be from these big time shops that install everything and have experience with all types..... It's your money and everyone wants it.
williamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #26
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
I have a whipple therefore whipple is the best. J/K mine had heatsoak but 100% meth helps keep it cooler. OP buy whatever you like. I liked the look of a big top mount blower so thats why i got it
Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #27
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSICKO View Post
I have a whipple therefore whipple is the best.
There is truth to this, people nine times out of ten, will recommend what they are running. IMO the reason for that, is they all have criteria on which they based their decision. They naturally, most of them anyway, will assume you want what they were looking for in FI. So they pass that recommendation on to you.

So far the best advice I've seen out of this thread, is to drive both and see which you like the best. Thing is it may not be so easy to get two or three cars sitting in one spot for you to test drive. Ted may have a few laying around his shop. most likely all you'll need to do is make the trip. But I wont speak for Ted.

Make your list of important things, and go from there. Some say they have no heat soak issues with their PD blower. Some say they do. Actually the majority will tell you they dont mind. Maybe thats because it does not matter to them if they do or don't.

If its autocross your into. I would ask the majority of people what they run at the track, and why. If its show and dyno, ask them what they are into and why. People will mention other options to you, outside the scope of what you have narrowed the choices to, so that your clear on what you may or not be missing. Good luck.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #28
williamp78

Drives: 2011 2ss blk/wht strp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSICKO View Post
I have a whipple therefore whipple is the best. J/K mine had heatsoak but 100% meth helps keep it cooler. OP buy whatever you like. I liked the look of a big top mount blower so thats why i got it
Ya this big top mount looks nasty. I like the fact it doesn't make noise.
Attached Images

williamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote