Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
Revrider550

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3Tex View Post
http://youtu.be/pKuXyeAGzEU Is this the same thing?
No that's hydro dipping a cool process for sure but not so "DIY"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogabooga View Post
I hoped you used Primer 94 and did a post heat. Vinyl on rims in the summer can be a disaster.
I did not, to be honest i didnt know about those products but that was kind of the point to my thread... i looked on here and other sites and like i said found minimal information on wrapping rims.

If there are tips and tricks to end up with a better result im all ears, if people dont wrap wheels because it doesnt last im here to give first hand proof of that, if it does work and is a nice alternative to plasti dip i want to show that off.
Revrider550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
Oogabooga

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Satin Black
Its still not too late to post heat. Post heating the vinyl to 180-200 degree's will allow the vinyl to lose its "memory". If you stretch the vinyl around the spokes, the vinyl will always want to go back to its original shape. You'll need a laser thermometer to measure the temperature.

The Primer 94 will allow the vinyl to stick more. I put it on all edges. Its needs to be put on about 5 minutes before you wrap.

Go to Youtube and search "3M Primer 94". I think the guys name is "cookie". He is a 3M installer and has very informative videos.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #17
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
You did a great job but I just don't see vinyl holding up very well. You'd be better off powdercoating them.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #18
Revrider550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogabooga View Post
Its still not too late to post heat. Post heating the vinyl to 180-200 degree's will allow the vinyl to lose its "memory". If you stretch the vinyl around the spokes, the vinyl will always want to go back to its original shape. You'll need a laser thermometer to measure the temperature.

The Primer 94 will allow the vinyl to stick more. I put it on all edges. Its needs to be put on about 5 minutes before you wrap.

Go to Youtube and search "3M Primer 94". I think the guys name is "cookie". He is a 3M installer and has very informative videos.
I'll definitely be looking into the post heat tonight. glad to pick up some more info on giving the wrap a better chance whenever i can, this is exactly why i created this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
You did a great job but I just don't see vinyl holding up very well. You'd be better off powdercoating them.
Many thanks, its not meant to hold up as well as powder coating though by any means just a temporary change to the look of the car with better aesthetics than plasti dip.

Last edited by Revrider550; 06-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
very nice.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #20
Revrider550

So I said I'd post an update after summer on how the rims held up... well here it is. Unfortunately it didn't hold up as great as I hoped but it could've been worse.

https://youtu.be/K8S6IyIqdug

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk