Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Darn It!!

Now I have yet another mod that I "need"!
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Try a tuner and see.......

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Already added it to my "to do" mod list!
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Anyone knocking this mod for its ability to make a difference simply not tried it and have most likely been burned by actual "snake oil" products themselves and are now haters of anything that doesn't add horsepower. Had mine for over a year without any issues. This thing really brings the car to life, similar to adding smaller gears. No added power, but eliminates factory emissions lag and opens butterfly quicker. Please do not respond with "tune can do the same", because it can't...Enjoy OP!
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Throttle boosters such as the Sprint Booster have been around for a long time, the " mod" simply boosts the signal the Potentiometer delays/ resists which is built into the pedal, while this does cause less lag, it also can cause problems for some and is not specific to just the Camaro as drive by wire is all over the place now. To have built a engine or altered the performance of the vehicle the extra response is most likely unneeded but can be fun for people looking to avoid spending money on performance. Yes the stock l99 really lagged I owned. Now I have problems keeping traction with a 950 idle and a 1500 ish stall on a M-6. Officially its not really a modification just a boost of a weak signal made weak intentionally for traction and fuel economy. It can be removed and placed on another Camaro, and comes from of course China, and looks identical to ones that were on Ebay minus the Logo when it was produced that come from China.

It can make a car more fun to have a quicker feel to push you back in the seat and be able to overcome the built in lag of course.. It also can make a person irresponsibly wreck, cause CELS and the band wagon for this came a long time ago with many people trying it, then I laughed as it took time for all the OMG whats wrong postings, and people pulling and reinstalling it and finally people selling them or living with a CEL.

If your one that has no problem with it good for you, Having power on demand is thing most expect with a sports car/ muscle car, unfortunately big brother wants to watch out for you and make the EPA happy.... And those who do not know how to handle power well...they wreck, so the old axiom is: with Great power comes great responsibility.... As in you car came with AAA traction tires why not switch them out for A traction? because its unwise and would just make it easier to burn rubber....ANd because what one likes is not the cup of tea for everyone.

Just the Honest truth from a old motor head who can get the Traction control engaged any time he wants on the HUD and DIC... And always drives daily with it on, because if I did not want traction control and Stabillitrac, I would be one of the 60s cars I built living without IRS and fancy do dads....but fancy do dads now adays are fun and some will eventually over complicate the cars and make them more prone to crash due to distraction.

SO safe motoring you all, and this product can do what is supposed to do and vary the response but in truth it is what it is..........
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....

Last edited by christianchevell; 06-18-2016 at 07:32 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #20
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
Anyone knocking this mod for its ability to make a difference simply not tried it and have most likely been burned by actual "snake oil" products themselves and are now haters of anything that doesn't add horsepower. Had mine for over a year without any issues. This thing really brings the car to life, similar to adding smaller gears. No added power, but eliminates factory emissions lag and opens butterfly quicker. Please do not respond with "tune can do the same", because it can't...Enjoy OP!

You legitimately used the term "hater" everything you say is now invalid Justin Bieber

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
625hp/582tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #21
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
If you truly think that a VTC is better than an actual tune and also believe that the throttle response can't be adjusted in a tune, then you need to stop playing w/your car because you don't have a clue what you're doing or talking about. The VTC is a voltage multiplier, that's it. The Bullydog tuner I had on my old Nissan Titan had the same function built into it. Fuel mileage, normal, sport, extreme. After the tune itself was flashed, I kept it on normal because anything else was too jumpy. Anyone who gets a custom tune either via SCT, HPTuners or EFI Live can get the throttle response tweaked to their liking. The number one issue with these cars is tq management. It's so bad really! Remove all of it or at least most of it and change the shift timing, it will be a brand new car. My LS3 which doesn't have nearly as much tq management as the L99 wouldn't hardly spin the tires from a 30 roll in 1st. After just the canned tune from SCT, it would roast the shit out of the tires in 1st gear easily from a roll. The throttle response was more linear, like the old DBC setup prior. Sorry, but a little box that has questionable electronics inside that can potentially fail and make your car go wot on its own, yeah..........have fun w/that. When I get another Camaro, I already have HPTuners and my old SCT files ready to flash.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #22
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
For what it's worth, a coworker of mine had a VTC when he still had his Camaro. It was immediately apparent to me when I drove his car--which was right after we drove mine, that doesn't have one.

I've had cars with gears, I've owned boosted cars, I've owned cars that have a reputable aftermarket tune, etc., the sensation in his car was odd but without a doubt, present. Suffice to say, you'd have to drive a car with one, mayhaps even immediately after driving a car without one to understand. His car didn't feel faster, if you will, just much, much more responsive; nothing that more throttle could reproduce on my car, more apparently so, not at the same rate.

To that end, I have not purchased one. I was curious about how it would work and he ended up picking one up. He installed it and gave me feedback. So, I was curious and wanted to drive his car, too. I did and had the experience I described above.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold

Last edited by USAFS197; 06-18-2016 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Additional feedback
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #23
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Get a cai next. I heard those two mods together = no traction even in 6th gear.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #24
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
It does work. I had one and I really enjoyed it. However I will add that while cruising it kinda seems like the throttle response is less. Like it works well at lower RPMs and lower speeds, but at higher RPMs and higher speeds it seems to have more lag than normal.

I had one and go rid of it because it played havoc with my ECU and kept going into limp mode and giving me codes. For the first few weeks it was perfect. But then it started giving me troubles every couple weeks. That turned into about once a week. Then gradually a few times a week. Then it started doing it every day to the point where it would at random leave me in limp mode. Several times while merging onto a freeway after work with traffic going 80-90 MPH. Then I'd have to pull over on the side of the road, sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the ECU to switch off, recalibrate the dang thing, and then drive off. I finally had enough when it limped me 3 times in one day. Took it off, sold it, and I'll never get another one again. Not worth the drama. It might be due to all my mods. I don't know. But since I took it off I had no other problems and I don't miss it at all. But it was fun while it lasted.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #25
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Like I said. I see a lot of em for sale in the for sale section.
Now why is that who knows....
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #26
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Step on the accelerator, shift gears save your money.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #27
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
shift gears

Yea because soooooooooo many people know how to do that either.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
625hp/582tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #28
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
LOL