Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I have MSD on mine right now. Installed them last year on July 4th. Noticed they were a bit too short compared to the OE wires. Installed them like that anyways. Stretched, but made them fit. No noticeable increase or decrease in performance. Only reason i replaced them is because i damaged one of the original factory wires when uninstalling them for the spark plug change so i kept the 7 that came off clean. Started having issues with pinging over 4000 RPM under hard acceleration 6 months later in January of this year. Checked for vacuum leaks and every possible thing. Drove me nuts for all six months this year but wasnt too worried since it only did it under hard acceleration and i dont drive it like that often. Finally got sick of it yesterday morning when i took it out for a "spirited" morning drive and the pinging was still there. Allllmost made an appointment to have Cunigham Motorsports retune the car but last night when it was dark, i was pulling the car into the driveway and opened the hood in the dark and could clearly see #5 arching. Car wasnt hot since it had been sitting all day since the morning so i took the wire off and tested it with multimeter. Wiggled the wire a few times and flexed it in different positions and would get resistance when i squeezed a certain section of the plug boot. so i checked the plug to see if it was ok. (which it was) and put it back in. put the stock heat shield back on the wire, and still arced. Got one of the original wires out and reinstalled it, no more arcing. took it out on the freeway today and did a full 1st and second 2nd gear pull to 6200 RPMS on the onramp and no pinging at all. completely gone.

Now, im not saying that one brand is better than the other but ive had the same o.e. wires since i bought the car new. Changed the plugs at 18K miles when i installed the longtube headers but re-used the same factory wires the car came with and never had an issues. The MSD's were on for 6 months (4,000 miles) when I began having these issues. So they're coming off. I ordered the O.E.M. wires from GM parts giant just now (part #19351570) https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...e=LS3;m=1ES37) and these Thermo Tec Sleeves (Part #14260) http://teamc.com/i-4560152-thermo-te...e-sleeves.html Im taking the MSD's back to oreiley and having them give me a new set under defective exchange and will be getting rid of them here in the classifieds section.
Attached Images

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #16
MarioSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (RS LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
I have MSD on mine right now. Installed them last year on July 4th. Noticed they were a bit too short compared to the OE wires. Installed them like that anyways. Stretched, but made them fit. No noticeable increase or decrease in performance. Only reason i replaced them is because i damaged one of the original factory wires when uninstalling them for the spark plug change so i kept the 7 that came off clean. Started having issues with pinging over 4000 RPM under hard acceleration 6 months later in January of this year. Checked for vacuum leaks and every possible thing. Drove me nuts for all six months this year but wasnt too worried since it only did it under hard acceleration and i dont drive it like that often. Finally got sick of it yesterday morning when i took it out for a "spirited" morning drive and the pinging was still there. Allllmost made an appointment to have Cunigham Motorsports retune the car but last night when it was dark, i was pulling the car into the driveway and opened the hood in the dark and could clearly see #5 arching. Car wasnt hot since it had been sitting all day since the morning so i took the wire off and tested it with multimeter. Wiggled the wire a few times and flexed it in different positions and would get resistance when i squeezed a certain section of the plug boot. so i checked the plug to see if it was ok. (which it was) and put it back in. put the stock heat shield back on the wire, and still arced. Got one of the original wires out and reinstalled it, no more arcing. took it out on the freeway today and did a full 1st and second 2nd gear pull to 6200 RPMS on the onramp and no pinging at all. completely gone.

Now, im not saying that one brand is better than the other but ive had the same o.e. wires since i bought the car new. Changed the plugs at 18K miles when i installed the longtube headers but re-used the same factory wires the car came with and never had an issues. The MSD's were on for 6 months (4,000 miles) when I began having these issues. So they're coming off. I ordered the O.E.M. wires from GM parts giant just now (part #19351570) https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...e=LS3;m=1ES37) and these Thermo Tec Sleeves (Part #14260) http://teamc.com/i-4560152-thermo-te...e-sleeves.html Im taking the MSD's back to oreiley and having them give me a new set under defective exchange and will be getting rid of them here in the classifieds section.
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But what's the difference between the red spark plug wires and the original grey/black ones (19351569)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
MarioSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I run stock plugs with MSD Super Conducter wires.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1525004200
Attached Images

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
I run MSD in comparison by ohms test with other brands came in second behind granatelli but not by much to justify the price difference.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote