Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You're not straining the supply when you had far too much supply before. The price of corn hasn't gone up much, and its effect on general food prices is just not much to begin with. All the energy that goes into processing, producing, and distributing food, OTOH, has gotten way more expensive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...enewableenergy

"Biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75% - far more than previously estimated - according to a confidential World Bank report obtained by the Guardian"

what were you saying?
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #16
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I'm saying that I trust actual farmers and the price I actually pay for corn when determining that corn prices aren't up that much, and that I trust math when determining that this stuff just can't have that much effect on the price of my pizza (and that the price of energy does have that much effect). What I don't trust is The Guardian's website telling me something that doesn't add up.

I don't really care where my fuel comes from, I just want to make sure, if Chicken Little is right and dinosaur juice is running out, that I'll still be able to drive internal combustion powered cars...and that blame is placed properly on energy prices. The sillyness about biofuels causing the rise in food prices is a combination of paranoia with smoke-and-mirrors design to lure your attention away from the real problem. Think about it for yourself, do the math, consider how food is made, ask farmers, don't just believe what big media tells you to believe.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
chevydude26

Quote:
I'm saying that I trust actual farmers and the price I actually pay for corn when determining that corn prices aren't up that much, and that I trust math when determining that this stuff just can't have that much effect on the price of my pizza (and that the price of energy does have that much effect). What I don't trust is The Guardian's website telling me something that doesn't add up.

I don't really care where my fuel comes from, I just want to make sure, if Chicken Little is right and dinosaur juice is running out, that I'll still be able to drive internal combustion powered cars...and that blame is placed properly on energy prices. The sillyness about biofuels causing the rise in food prices is a combination of paranoia with smoke-and-mirrors design to lure your attention away from the real problem. Think about it for yourself, do the math, consider how food is made, ask farmers, don't just believe what big media tells you to believe.
the gaurdian is just reporting it...the leaked info comes from a world bank and the most trusted economists in the world who actually researched all the data

big media is trying to cover the fact up that biofuels cause the price of food to go up...they are in the bag with all the wacko environmentalists

and oil is not running out...we've got more oil here in america than all of the middle east...

but come on common sense when you divert so much of your supply price goes up...how is this not common sense??
Old 07-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
I would love to see the Camaro's all be able to run off of E85, but in case GM does not decide to go in that direction, there are still options.

http://flextek.com/

And if you don't have any E85 pumps near you, you could always just get an E100 pump of your own, and blend the rest yourself...

http://www.efuel100.com/default.aspx
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
big media is trying to cover the fact up that biofuels cause the price of food to go up...they are in the bag with all the wacko environmentalists
I just haven't seen it. Maybe we're looking at different media. Then again, the big media link you posted supported your point, not mine.

Quote:
and oil is not running out...we've got more oil here in america than all of the middle east...
I hope you're right. If so, then it really won't matter what alternative fuel technology we come up with, I'll still get to drive what I want.

Quote:
but come on common sense when you divert so much of your supply price goes up...how is this not common sense??
Sure, but I have talked directly to the suppliers, and we're NOT diverting so much of the supply.
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #20
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
GM is a leader in the automotive industry...and it wouldn't suprise me if they began a new trend in the musclecar/sports car area w/ E85. I haven't seen any E85 pumps around my area, but would gladly accept running it in my Camaro.
There are some in the Houston area. It's not really worth it for a daily driver. It costs a little less but the MPG is a lot worse.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #21
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Well, the E85 option when building a car through GM Dealerworld, the cost difference in a car that has Flex Fuel and one that does not is only like $8.00 and change. Also, for those of you who don't know, corn is not the only product that we can make ethanol from. Sugar works as well. Another fun fact is that while you lose 2-3mpg when burning ethanol, the E85 actually burns at a higher octane rating than premium gas and therefore makes your engine perform better all around.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #22
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I found it really strange that there were no pumps in TX and especially strange if there are none in OK. So, I looked up a station locator and found this:
http://www.e85refueling.com/

It may just be that they are not in your immediate area yet. On that site you can type in your zip to get a specific location.
Good link, nothing nearby yet, but it looks like they're getting better. bio-Diesel blend is getting very popular in certain areas of the country. I've seen low as 5% blend, hi as 20% blend.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 07-05-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #23
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

OPEC sells oil for $136.00 a barrel.
OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel.
Solution: Sell grain for $136.00 a bushel.
Can't buy it? Tough! Eat your oil!
Ought to go well with a nice thick grilled filet of camel ass!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #24
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
There are some in the Houston area. It's not really worth it for a daily driver. It costs a little less but the MPG is a lot worse.
Is that in a proper flex-fuel vehicle that can make use of the higher octane, or a basic gas vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
corn is not the only product that we can make ethanol from. Sugar works as well.
Wrong. Sugar cane and sugar beets (which grow well where sugar cane won't) dont' merely work "as well", they work far better. Also, nearly ANY biomatter (salughterhouse trimmings, compost, whatever) can be used, and IMO much of the waste stream should be used in addition to crops.

As long as I can keep driving internal combustion powered vehicles, I don't really mind how the fuel is made.
Quote:
Old 07-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #26
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Is that in a proper flex-fuel vehicle that can make use of the higher octane, or a basic gas vehicle?

Wrong. Sugar cane and sugar beets (which grow well where sugar cane won't) dont' merely work "as well", they work far better. Also, nearly ANY biomatter (salughterhouse trimmings, compost, whatever) can be used, and IMO much of the waste stream should be used in addition to crops.

As long as I can keep driving internal combustion powered vehicles, I don't really mind how the fuel is made.
I agree. We should use all waste to make fuel, hell even grass clippings are better then corn.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Quote:
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

I really don't understand why we can't do this. Unless it's a, "don't return evil for evil" thing. Since all Americans are Christians..right lol.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #28
chevydude26

Quote:
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

opec isn't the only group selling oil..they could produce more supply but they choose not too...but there is more supply in canada ...its really not opec's fault...

what you propose would just make the economy worse and would create a hostile situation that would end up being worse for us...

the market controls prices...there might be some collusion in opec but considering there are larger oil companies than the ones in opec and not involved with opec at all

the market is the market and our own government in america particularly the dems in congress and environmentalists is making sure supplies stay low because they want gas prices high so we are forced to use fossil fuels less...i believe murtha said he wishes the price was 5 dollars a gallon