Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy236 View Post
Am I the only one in the world with a non npp SS? Its to the point where I don't think i've ever seen another SS without one. From what I understand the npp was an option but how much of an "option" could it be if every car comes with it from the factory. Even the little diecast model camaros are NPP lol. I plan on upgrading to the borla s exhaust soon but in the meantime I feel a little odd with just the two exhaust pipes. Anyone else non npp?
I didn't want it but came off the lot with it. Glad I got it.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
Marty McFlew
Banned

The NPP sounds great under load going down the highway. But sound like shidt when sitting in one place just revving the engine to make noise. Please...don't do that.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
CaspianXPD8

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
The NPP sounds great under load going down the highway. But sound like shidt when sitting in one place just revving the engine to make noise. Please...don't do that.
But Saturday morning I just HAD to. Six kids about 10-13 years old begging me to hear the exhaust. Busting out their cell phones to catch video...how could I say no?
CaspianXPD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #18
BowtieBruce
Squidlee 1962

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro 2SS, Standard Trans,
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy236 View Post
It's nice but not as loud as I would like. I was coming from a 2013 v6 and the sound difference is not as big as I expected. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have worried about upgrading exhausts if it didn't seem like every other SS is npp.
I just traded my GT in for a 2SS with NPP, i put Borla XS Pro Mufflers on the GT, they sound wicked! XS Pros are universal mufflers, yet 100 percent Stainless! less than 100 bux a piece new! there u go brother!
BowtieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
JR91

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Mercedes V8 AMG Exhaust
JR91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #20
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
People keep ordering the NPP, must be why Chevy isn't worried about fixing the rattle issue permanently.
If the rattle issue continues en masse then they will be forced to do something since the exhaust is component with the emissions. I had mine glued/epoxyed at 2500 miles. At 4900 it's not back yet but I've heard that it comes back for some. It's too early to know yet overall where this goes.

I ordered the Borla NPP and they held it up because of rattling. They must be using OEM valves. I hear they've worked it out.

I believe without direct knowledge that there's a real issue with the OEM valves. Likley a faulty design by one vendor supplying all of them.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #21
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
If the rattle issue continues en masse then they will be forced to do something since the exhaust is component with the emissions. I had mine glued/epoxyed at 2500 miles. At 4900 it's not back yet but I've heard that it comes back for some. It's too early to know yet overall where this goes.

I ordered the Borla NPP and they held it up because of rattling. They must be using OEM valves. I hear they've worked it out.

I believe without direct knowledge that there's a real issue with the OEM valves. Likley a faulty design by one vendor supplying all of them.
Mine only rattle about 5 min. when cold. Stops when warmed up.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:13 AM   #22
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
mine is a 2SS non npp and I could care less exhaust is my first upgrade anyway. Stock is junk and heavy
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 AM   #23
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyeatr16ss View Post
mine is a 2SS non npp and I could care less exhaust is my first upgrade anyway. Stock is junk and heavy
Well normally I would agree with you you are missing out by not having the NDP I have to say it's a total game-changer on my last Camaro I had the SLP loudmouth it was fantastic but being able to silence it by just pressing the switch on the NPP is insane
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:03 AM   #24
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Stock is surprisingly light. I bet you will save little to no weight with an aftermarket setup. I also think the aerodynamic properties are better with the stock, though I have no data to back that up!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #25
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

??aerodynamics? from the exhaust? hahaha thats gotta be the funnies thing I've ever heard. You are joking right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Stock is surprisingly light. I bet you will save little to no weight with an aftermarket setup. I also think the aerodynamic properties are better with the stock, though I have no data to back that up!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
??aerodynamics? from the exhaust? hahaha thats gotta be the funnies thing I've ever heard. You are joking right?
I am not joking. GM spent a ton of time in the wind tunnel for this platform, hence all of the underbody panels to reduce drag and prevent lift. The stock muffler helps to smoothen air flow around the rear diffuser. This is why it's shaped the way it is. When you remove the stock muffler, there's generally a huge void left with the aftermarket exhaust systems, but the diffuser still hangs low. I suspect air will get trapped in that section and increase drag, but I obviously have no data to prove it. Any impact it does have (small as it may be) would increase exponentially with vehicle speed.

Most people will write this concern off as being negligible (and it may be), but this is one reason why I ordered NPP.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #27
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
My NPP sounds great. GM was smart in making this an option. I bet their cost is maybe $ 200 and they get 800 for it.

BTW no rattle in mine.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #28
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

I'd be willing to bet the title that it is so minimal its not even worth talking about, not like Im racing down the salt flat to break a land speed record and it sure won't be noticeable to my booty in the seat.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I am not joking. GM spent a ton of time in the wind tunnel for this platform, hence all of the underbody panels to reduce drag and prevent lift. The stock muffler helps to smoothen air flow around the rear diffuser. This is why it's shaped the way it is. When you remove the stock muffler, there's generally a huge void left with the aftermarket exhaust systems, but the diffuser still hangs low. I suspect air will get trapped in that section and increase drag, but I obviously have no data to prove it. Any impact it does have (small as it may be) would increase exponentially with vehicle speed.

Most people will write this concern off as being negligible (and it may be), but this is one reason why I ordered NPP.