Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I wont be happy doing Business, but it would be the easy way out...
Most business majors I know end up being realtors or car salesman. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just something you may not like ending up.
I studied chemical engineering and I can understand the struggle you are going through. Tough it out, suck it up and it will be all over before you know it.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
i agree. (nicely) suck it up and finish it. you'll be thanking yourself and others years down the road with that nice Pedigree. #rewardsforhardwork you'll have all the toys you want! Utilize tutors, mentors, etc. you'll get through it.

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
On the other hand, lots of people with business degrees say, "Want fries with that?"
I was going to say the same thing lol.

Business is a dead end degree nowadays. I know too many people that end up going back to college because they find out how useless it is, don't go this route.

I went to school with double majors, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. I like Math and Science and always found them easy so getting the degrees was easy for me, the English and Writing courses are the ones I had trouble with. Stick with it and eventually you will be glad you did.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
This amazes me... How often as a cyber security guy will you EVER use those math skills? NEVER! I'm a mainframe systems guy (I'm a hex guy... ), I sit in front of the "cyber security guys" where I work, and see them work... trust me when I say they never use calc, trig, or anything above basic math balancing their checkbooks...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
This amazes me... How often as a cyber security guy will you EVER use those math skills? NEVER! I'm a mainframe systems guy (I'm a hex guy... ), I sit in front of the "cyber security guys" where I work, and see them work... trust me when I say they never use calc, trig, or anything above basic math balancing their checkbooks...
It's to weed people out... same as doctors never use organic chemistry but have to pass it to get into med school.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
It depends on the type of engineering. I have degree in ChemE and I routinely use differential equations to model chemical reactions.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #21
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I graduated with a business degree, many, many years ago. We really didn't have much by way of computers back then. I took calc and chem classes just for the challenge as econ, acctg, fin and stats classes didn't. Stick with it and it will pay off in the future. I semi-retired at 45 and now just work when I want to and only doing the things I enjoy.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 AM   #22
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post

Yeah, I could write a computer program with a handful of punch cards while every one else in the class had so many cards they needed a backpack. I heard from the assistants, "That will never work." and a minute later they were like Holy Moly!
Now this was in the days when computers were so big they had to knock down walls to install them and the tape drives would remind me of Mickey Mouse.
Ah yes, the good ole IBM 1130 Fortran Primer. Those were the days. May they never come back.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Wow a topic that I know a little something about. Be warned; You may not like what I have to say. When I was struggling away at college, new cars, modding and general car lust, car talk and anything to do with liking a car was non existent. Sure, I've loved cars all of my life, but when I was in school trying to earn a degree, I concentrated on my courses. That meant that I wasn't looking at the latest Camaro model or planning to buy a new car. It was a struggle, no doubt about it. I kept up the battle and moved forward until I earned my degree(s). I started lusting after new cars when I had a secure job.

So if you are asking my advice about finishing school, then I would tell you that your main focus should be your course of study. Immerse yourself into your books!! Try not to let outside things distract you from finishing school. In hindsight, I learned (in graduate school) that I should have spent more time in the library and at home studying than working part-time. It isn't easy, because in real life you need money to pay for books, tuition, and your living expenses. It can be done though; It depends on how bad you really want it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #24
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
I dropped out of college 23 years ago and regretted it ever since. Now at 43 I am working on completing my management degree. I have a successful career and it is more for my own personal reasons than any other reason to get it, but it would have been a lot easier if I had finished all those years ago. So my advice is to stick with it now and finish.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #25
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I hate to say it, but I think I am. I'm 25, I still want to be a Software Engineer who specializes in Cyber Security, I got to shadow one at my job for two, 8-hour shifts and it was awesome!!

But man, the math (calculus) is kinda intense and I have a busy work schedule as it is!

Not making excuses, but as I type this I have 3 chapters of math I have to finish tonight and I'm just exhausted mentally... sometimes I want to switch majors and do something easier school wise like Business or something...

I wont be happy doing Business, but it would be the easy way out...

Anyways... besides looking at other folks bad ass Camaros on here for motivation, what motivates/motivated you guys to suck it up, stop complaining and be successful?
Nothing worth doing is easy.

You should probably just give up and take the easy way out. You'll still get everything you ever wanted, but without working for it!

Seems like that's what you were hoping someone successful would come in here and say, right?

EDIT: The above came out harsher than intended in text. My intended point is, you didn't question the merits of doing what you're doing, but rather entertained giving up simply because of the work involved. That's a bigger concern to someone like me that would be in a hiring role. Not having a degree can be overlooked if the knowledge and drive is there. Missing either of those? Forget it.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded

Last edited by Infern0; 07-29-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
This thread is the exact thing I just went through and still going through. OP, all I have to say is as much as it sucks stick with what you want to go for. If a class is hard, find a way to motivate yourself to make it more simpler. Most of the kids these days whine about things being difficult and want everything handed to them without effort. They don't know what hard work is and when things get difficult they give up and don't want to see what could've been if they stuck to there guns. I used to be in the same boat, always making excuses and finding an easy way out but then I saw clear as day where I was heading and where my friends were and I was not going to have it. So I sucked it up and used my money I saved for a place to live to go back to school AGAIN to earn my second degree. My first degree is in culinary arts but that was during the recession and that career never took off.

Five years ago I made myself a promise to finish when I started when I graduated HS, and that's with a degree in software development. It was very difficult during that time working 70+ hrs and taking 3 classes. I went to college part time. Making a career change isn't an easy jump either just think about that. Finally graduated with my second associate's in software development this year. Finding a career in that field at the moment isn't easy for me as my two degrees don't mean nothing because they are not a bachelor's. I could say screw it and go back to a dead end job which will affect my health but that's the cowards way out and I have come too far for that to happen.

So my motivation? Looking how far I came, looking at where my friends are, looking at the car I bought. I look at this when things get difficult (which things still are) to motivate myself over the humps. The question should be what motivates you when things get difficult?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #27
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Awesome advice all the way around guys seriously.

I appreciate knowing that a lot of you went through the same thing and basically just comes down to if you want it bad enough, then you'll do what it takes.

I've been working my ass off these past few months, gonna keep pushing at it.

Eyes on the prize mentality for sure. You guys are awesome for real.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #28
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Keep it up or you'll be hearing, "I'll take fries with that burger!"
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote