Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #15
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill7695 View Post
To CrazyRed and everyone following this thread. I heard back from Steve at Elite Engineering and he said the amount of oil in my catch can for the mileage I stated was about right. He mentioned that their larger E2 catch can does an even better job at separation and has 30% more capacity.
I will continue to check mine regularly and see if things change as my engine accumulates more mileage. I drive my car normally but just on the weekends and in good weather so we'll see if things change as the engine gets more broken in.
CrazyRed- keep in touch with what's happening with your car since we both have similar situations.
Thanks to everyone for their experiences and suggestions! Bill
That's great news Bill, thank you for the update. My car goes in for a supercharger and meth on Monday so after next week I'll be a little different lol.

I will certainly keep you updated.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Me too. Those ounces of oil are super important.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #17
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Hey All,

Anyone with any technical questions on this, our cans, or any brand we are happy to provide info. Simply email our Technical Support team direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Now, all engines are different as far as how well the rings seat in the critical first few hundred miles of break-in. The rings must penetrate the lubrication barrier to allow the rings to abrade into the shape of the cylinder walls. The cross hatch hone pattern is the abrasive surface that accomplishes this. If the rings do not seat properly by 400-500 miles a hard glaze sets in and covers this hone pattern and that window has passed. So it is iffy when driven easy those first few hundred miles if the rings will seat properly. GM's instructions with a new motor for techs is completely opposite of that in the owners manual for liability concerns, so most follow the owners manual and that results in a certain percentage of engines will use oil when others do not.

So what you will catch in your can has no "standard". The more blow-by, the more compounds will be trapped, the less blow-by the less is trapped.

You also want to make sure after break-in you only run a full synthetic oil for maximum protection.

Now, we can several models to choose from. The base Elite Catch Can, our E2 with greater capacity and efficiency, and our E2-X.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to email us with any tech questions. Education is key to understanding a very confusing system with so much misinformation out there.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote