Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
DSEowner

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Special Edition
First thing I would recommend, and it's free, is to pop off the engine cover and make sure one of the plug wires didn't come loose from the plug or a coil pack. Can't hurt to check as it only takes a couple minutes.

LS3, 6-spd w/ Hurst short shifter, navigation, sunroof, Boston Acoustics, and Borla Type-S cat back exhaust.
DSEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
"Can't Remember"??????…..It only takes a minute to record everything you do to yer vehicles for future reference......Plus it makes a GR8 selling point when the buyer can see that you give a shit enough to know what's been done to it.....it's always worked for me.
Whenever I replace something in any of my cars, I not only squirrel away the receipt, I also record it on the pages provided in the Owners Manual, with mileage and date.

With all due respect to the OP, I've been doing this since age 16. That's 50 years of "car guy" life.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I would just go out and buy a cheap engine code scanner and see what codes pop up. If it is the battery, at least you will know. That way, you're not just replacing stuff and spending money for nothing.

Very true. Always a good idea to do rather than spending money for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #18
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I feel your pain, brother. I am in the exact same situation right now.

Grab a cheap OBDII code reader. You can get them for like $40 at Harbor Freight. Then you can tell us which codes are present and we can steer you in the right direction.

Matter of fact... I’ve been going to Harbor Freight almost on a daily basis since we moved here and buying things we needed for the house and of course the garage. It never ends. At least we are able to get free things from them as well with the coupons and the 20-30% off coupons helps as wel! Just picked up the a Zurich ZR8 OBDII scanner from Harbor Freight.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #19
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
So what is the code? You can usually go to a locate auto parts store like O'Reillys and they can extract the code for you, no charge. They usually advise you what the cause can be, if you come across a parts guy with some knowledge.

Havent checked the codes and will do so either tonight or tmw since I just picked up the OBDII scanner. As for the battery- it has been charging since I hooked it up to the the battery tender. Actually charged overnight. The Camaro drove great today and responsive. However the service engine light is still on. Will post back with the codes soon.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #20
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Whenever I replace something in any of my cars, I not only squirrel away the receipt, I also record it on the pages provided in the Owners Manual, with mileage and date.

With all due respect to the OP, I've been doing this since age 16. That's 50 years of "car guy" life.

I hear ya and like i said... I do the same minus the owners manual.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #21
SummitWhite11

Okay so here is the verdict... The Codes that popped up...

P0300 -Stored Random misfire detected DTC severity 2 of 3 Repair immediately if drivability issues are present.

P0301- Cylinder 1 Misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
P0304 -Cylinder 4 Misfire detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire detected

Forgot to add... both the battery and the alternator tested within normal operating range. Why would the cylinder misfires happen after 1.5 months of sitting? The fuel has water in it? or the Oxygen sensors crapped out? The car drove fine today as if nothing was wrong with it other than the Service Engine light showing...

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 01-28-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
If you haven't had any issues starting it since the "hiccup". I would just clear the codes and see if it comes back.

If the same codes come back, then you will have to start troubleshooting, ie spark plugs or wires, etc
Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #23
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
If you haven't had any issues starting it since the "hiccup". I would just clear the codes and see if it comes back.

If the same codes come back, then you will have to start troubleshooting, ie spark plugs or wires, etc

Sounds like a good idea. Will try that. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #24
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Matter of fact... I’ve been going to Harbor Freight almost on a daily basis since we moved here and buying things we needed for the house and of course the garage. It never ends. At least we are able to get free things from them as well with the coupons and the 20-30% off coupons helps as wel! Just picked up the a Zurich ZR8 OBDII scanner from Harbor Freight.

Does that reader display what the code signifies? The display on the package indicates it does. Is it generic or manufacturer specific?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #25
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Does that reader display what the code signifies? The display on the package indicates it does. Is it generic or manufacturer specific?

I am able to choose the vehicle manufacturer with this scanner. Pic example below from one of the codes last night...

Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Glad to see you got a code reader. I agree with the idea of clearing the codes and then driving it to see if any of the symptoms or codes return after driving it a while. I'm guessing that you fixed it when you charged up the battery.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
That 1.5 amp tender can take days to bring a low battery up to charge. You need a charger.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #28
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
ok, you may want to remove the plugs and examine. if you nhavent nyet changed them, maybe its time. I had the same errors in mine, and replaced the coils (all of them and the plugs. ran better after that. I still get the P0300 erro go off every now and then, and Im thinking one the cam sensors is needing replacement. The timing chain and crank was replaced in this car before I purchased it.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote