Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #15
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Welcome... these cars are great cruisers, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Since you just got it, and with that mileage - listen for any odd noises like loud ticks. Also feel for any surging, engine knock, or varying idle. Any vibrations on the steering wheel during your trip are no good, even for on a older used car. Your tranny should shift smoothly, no jerks etc. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, get it fixed. Don't procrastinate... could turn into a bigger issue.

Change the oil regularly... Mobil 1 High Mileage (over 75k miles), I would recommend.

That said - ENJOY THE RIDE! This car is still so many people's favorites (including me), even after a decade of driving it for some.

Down the line, if you want more power... trade up to an SS or a ZL1... though, being a gift from someone you care about, I reckon you'll be keeping it for as long as you can.

People who say that these cars are no fun, either don't have one... have never driven one... or are trolling. We all know better lol.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Congrats and happy to have you with us .. totally agree with @spec...he has been good to his car and she has been good to him .one of the few that has a lot of miles on his car.. these cars perform great and still have a beautiful presence on the road compared to most cars that are out now. Enjoy!
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #17
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis66 View Post
Congrats and happy to have you with us .. totally agree with @spec...he has been good to his car and she has been good to him .one of the few that has a lot of miles on his car.. these cars perform great and still have a beautiful presence on the road compared to most cars that are out now. Enjoy!

Good people here too... people who appreciate what they have and likewise, appreciate what others have (for the most part lol). Folks here are always willing to help so don't hesitate to speak your mind about your badass ride!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
PowertoLove
Banned

Drives: A Sneaky Fast Camaro
Oh this is a wonderful site!
PowertoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowertoLove View Post
Oh this is a wonderful site!

For the 5th gen Camaro... it most certainly is!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #20
XxCrystalline

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I had to google the name you gave your car:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

And most of us males attribute a female identity to our cars.
Correct, and since I am a female I consider my car a male. He came with a very agressive look and as a big gamer and Final Fantasy addict, the great wolf Fenrir just immediately popped into my head. If the nerd stuff is up your alley, watch Final Fantasy Advent Children. Fenrir is a motorcycle there but also has a physical representation.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #21
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Welcome... these cars are great cruisers, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Since you just got it, and with that mileage - listen for any odd noises like loud ticks. Also feel for any surging, engine knock, or varying idle. Any vibrations on the steering wheel during your trip are no good, even for on a older used car. Your tranny should shift smoothly, no jerks etc. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, get it fixed. Don't procrastinate... could turn into a bigger issue.

Change the oil regularly... Mobil 1 High Mileage (over 75k miles), I would recommend.

That said - ENJOY THE RIDE! This car is still so many people's favorites (including me), even after a decade of driving it for some.

Down the line, if you want more power... trade up to an SS or a ZL1... though, being a gift from someone you care about, I reckon you'll be keeping it for as long as you can.

People who say that these cars are no fun, either don't have one... have never driven one... or are trolling. We all know better lol.
Thank you! I have almost always had a pre-owned vehicle and I am very particular about the oil and filter changes for high mileage specifically. I am usually making absolutely sure my mechanic gives me Mobil 1 lol. I do want to start taking it directly to Chevy first and let them give me a run down before I'm comfortable with having standard maintenance done elsewhere.

The only noise I hear is a slight rattle near the rear right side exhaust and it goes away if I press the area with my foot, so I thought it could be the hangar or heat shield but nothing too serious. Trans shifts nicely and my steering is a little strong but as I drove trucks my whole life I'm pretty used to it.

You'll definitely be the first person I run too when I hear something I don't recognize!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #22
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I'd leave the stripes. Those things look cool! Matte black on a gloss black paint job,

As for the lowering springs, as was stated above they lower the center of gravity thus helping with handling and IMO the stance is killer. However, I've done a lot of driving in DC, and I'd keep your stock springs until you move out of the area otherwise you may be cringing a lot.
Yea the stripes were ok at first I didn't mind them but whoever put them on most definitely didn't care much because the scratches are RIDICULOUS. Also I have a thing for bonnet stripes instead of racer stripes. I will be uploading pictures today since they wont be coming off until tomorrow. I actually got fed up with the tinted headlights I sat outside of the bar yesterday peeling them off lol so at least that's done.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #23
XxCrystalline

Ok so I got some time to take the pictures. Hope you can see the reasons why Im taking the stripes off. Also, is there any way to repair or replace these little pieces? The silver on my steering wheel and the knobs on my radio are dead. And please don't be mad because I'm taking off the caliper covers lol, I prefer blue not red.

Last edited by XxCrystalline; 06-22-2019 at 06:36 PM.
XxCrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #24
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Looks great!! Congratulations on a sweet ride.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
BLU DUCE AKA=Spike III Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCrystalline View Post
Ok so I got some time to take the pictures. Hope you can see the reasons why Im taking the stripes off. Also, is there any way to repair or replace these little pieces? The silver on my steering wheel and the knobs on my radio are dead. And please don't be mad because I'm taking off the caliper covers lol, I prefer blue not red.

If those are vinyl stripes I would take them off right away. Far as the radio nobs those are just Covers over the original nobs and can be taken off and have the original nobe or buy a different color nob to put on.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #26
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
If those are vinyl stripes I would take them off right away. Far as the radio nobs those are just Covers over the original nobs and can be taken off and have the original nobe or buy a different color nob to put on.
Those I know about but the knobs for the AC are more annoying. There's just some general scratches and stains on the plastic that confuse me but I can give most of it a light sanding. The dealership will probably be able to find them for me.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #27
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
looks like the vinyl stripes are cracking.id lose them for that reason.if you have small scratches in the paint clearcoat they can be buffed out without much problem.these are nice cars,ive had mine 3 years and plan on keeping it for the long haul.good to see a fellow 6 cylinder owner with that many miles on it,i will get there some day as mines also a daily driver.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #28
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
people here should have radio's they removed. removing the stripes could be costly.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice or opinions, camaro 2011 1lt, new owner, used car