Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What should I do now?
Repair her 12 42.86%
Sell her 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Post pics.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
AshleyOhio

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Update

I won.
AshleyOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Post pics.
Definitely pics.... maybe one of the car too
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Well, let us know what happened.

P.S. This sounds like a decision that was not well thought out. You bought a Camaro with 167k miles for $9,300??? You could've bought a more practical car with a lot less miles for that kind of money. And from what it sounds like, you spent every last dime you had on this car. Not wise. Logic and rationale will always be your friends.

Live and learn.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyOhio View Post
I won.
You got a lot of good advice in this thread. I think it is appropriate to tell us more than that... What did you win? Who lost?
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
V6 engines are relatively cheap though. If the body and other stuff is good, getting another engine is not a bad decision. Who wants to be stuck driving some stupid "practical" Corolla or CUV when you can be driving a bad azz 5th gen Camaro. You sound like my kind of woman. I'm glad you "won" and told him who's boss. lol!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #21
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
it's not who wears the paints the skirt has the real power....happy wife happy life.
we still want to know V6 or 8???
it sounds like it jumped time.it's possible you could fix what you have for a couple hundred bucks.
if you got a L99 car now's the time to throw a LS3 at it.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #22
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
V6 engines are relatively cheap though. If the body and other stuff is good, getting another engine is not a bad decision. Who wants to be stuck driving some stupid "practical" Corolla or CUV when you can be driving a bad azz 5th gen Camaro. You sound like my kind of woman. I'm glad you "won" and told him who's boss. lol!
I'm not quite certain that anybody can call a broken down car with 167k miles on it..."bad azz". As of now, it is a worn out & worthless pile of metal and plastic. To each their own.

OP, best of luck and keep us informed!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #23
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I am sorry for this Camaro problem you are experiencing. I had the same thing happen in 2017. You have to ask your self how much do you love the car, and how long are you going to keep it.

I bought a used Camaro with a lot of miles and broke the engine within 6 months. Warranty didn't cover engine (I should have bought a better warranty). I could have had the engine rebuilt for $3K. But I decided against it as I previously had an engine rebuilt in another ca and it never ran smooth again. After a couple of diffrerent mechanics looked at it, and lots of tow truck trips, I settled on having my local Chevy dealer install a crate engine made at the GM Detroit factory.

The engine and install came to $8K. I had to borrow money from my wife's aunt to pay for it. I am glad that I fixed it, and plan on keeping my Camaro for a long time.

You should have your car looked at by itleast 2 different mechanic shops. Yes, you will have to pay for tow trucks. Please keep us all updated on what you decide to do.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I'm not quite certain that anybody can call a broken down car with 167k miles on it..."bad azz". As of now, it is a worn out & worthless pile of metal and plastic. To each their own.

OP, best of luck and keep us informed!
If everything else is in good shape, why dump it to get a more "practical" car? Even a 5th gen that doesn't run is still a bad azz car compared to a Corolla or Prius IMHO.

Anyway, that's not really the point. V6 engines for these cars are relatively cheap. I'd replace the engine and keep on motoring as they say. Of course, that depends on if everything else is in good condition. If not, then I agree to get something else.

But, something more practical? How practical is that Vette you're driving? Any woman who wants to drive something sporty like a 5th gen Camaro instead of another boring CUV/SUV gets my full and undivided support no matter what.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #25
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
If everything else is in good shape, why dump it to get a more "practical" car? Even a 5th gen that doesn't run is still a bad azz car compared to a Corolla or Prius IMHO.

Anyway, that's not really the point. V6 engines for these cars are relatively cheap. I'd replace the engine and keep on motoring as they say. Of course, that depends on if everything else is in good condition. If not, then I agree to get something else.

But, something more practical? How practical is that Vette you're driving? Any woman who wants to drive something sporty like a 5th gen Camaro instead of another boring CUV/SUV gets my full and undivided support no matter what.
The Vette isn't practical. That is why it sits in my garage and only gets driven when the weather permits. I have a '17 Cruze as a daily and a '19 Terrain Denali if the snow gets too deep.