Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #15
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Keep in mind that it's more than just the engine you're breaking in. It's the entire drive line, the transmission, the differential, drive axles, all of it. A lot of moving parts with gears.
This ^^^^^^^

There is always some metal particles and the like that will flush out with the fluid changes, but also, this allows everything to "settle" and gears to work into each other properly.

Will not following break in cause a failure? No, but it could lead to issues down the road that you could have easily avoided by following the proper break in.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
This ^^^^^^^

There is always some metal particles and the like that will flush out with the fluid changes, but also, this allows everything to "settle" and gears to work into each other properly.

Will not following break in cause a failure? No, but it could lead to issues down the road that you could have easily avoided by following the proper break in.
Actually, not following the break-in process could cause a failure. But, it would most likely be on a part that had a defect in how it was made and wouldn't hold up over the long haul anyhow.

There's also the chance that pushing the car too hard too quickly could cause higher pressure in certain areas of the various cavities and lines that carry fluids which could cause leaks if not all of the various seals have completely seated.

As already said... break-in period goes by very quickly. On a car that one is likely going to drive at least 10-15k miles, 1500 miles represents 1% of the total miles to be driven. And, the more miles you ultimately drive your Camaro, the lower the percentage becomes for the break-in period.

Suck it up and do it right.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #17
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
its gonna break or its gonna break in
Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #18
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Actually, not following the break-in process could cause a failure. But, it would most likely be on a part that had a defect in how it was made and wouldn't hold up over the long haul anyhow.

There's also the chance that pushing the car too hard too quickly could cause higher pressure in certain areas of the various cavities and lines that carry fluids which could cause leaks if not all of the various seals have completely seated.

As already said... break-in period goes by very quickly. On a car that one is likely going to drive at least 10-15k miles, 1500 miles represents 1% of the total miles to be driven. And, the more miles you ultimately drive your Camaro, the lower the percentage becomes for the break-in period.

Suck it up and do it right.
Agreed, I should have said, will it cause a failure, not likely.....

I am a firm believer in following recommended break in. It is easy insurance and only time, no cost involved, Not following could involve cost, sooner or later.....
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #19
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
ill be honest. i've never followed break in with anything automotive related, exception to a flat tappet camshaft. everything else...? send it. clutches, ring and pinion, hyd roller engines whatever. never had a failure.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #20
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
If Abe had a Camaro perhaps he’d have been at a car show or Camaro fest that fateful night instead of the Ford Theater
Mary Todd Lincoln insisted he accompany here.....

Seriously you need to VARY RPM and LOAD

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Seriously you need to VARY RPM and LOAD
Yes, but stay within the "middle-of-the-road" operating parameters and don't hit the extremes during break-in. In other words, stay under 4k RPM (as suggested), don't exceed 80MPH or so (especially if you're going to stay at that speed and "cruise"), don't use Cruise Control (which will hold your speed and RPM constant), etc.

You can absolutely drive it with a bit of "giddy up", but don't push it to its limits during break-in. This car (the 6.2L) can get up and go... quickly... and it brings a smile to your face when do that. But, you don't need to be figuring out your 0-60, 0-100, 0-60-0, or 0-100-0 times right away.

I bought a 2006 Acura TL new and broke it in according to Acura's recommendations. That car drove flawlessly at 50,000 miles and was butter smooth. I bought a 2008 Acura TL used (same exact options and color even as my 2006). That car never got the great MPG that my 2006 did, and it didn't have that butter smooth feel to the motor OR the transmission. Breaking the car in correctly has value beyond wether or not you'll void warranties or possibly even "break something."
Old 07-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #22
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Mary Todd Lincoln insisted he accompany here.....
160 years later and women are still the same..... always dragging the guys to the theater when they want to work on their cars.

See? All this progress for women over 160 years and they haven't changed a bit
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #23
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Fact of the matter is this: there's absolutely zero evidence that lack of a prescribed break-in was ever the detrimental factor in engine/trans/diff failures. There's not one case. And two, you think the service Department asks these questions or has some basis on a claim in that regard? (rhetorical).

It's akin to audiophiles thinking you need test tones and such to break in the rubber surround on a speaker.

To a low point its ridiculous.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Fact of the matter is this: there's absolutely zero evidence that lack of a prescribed break-in was ever the detrimental factor in engine/trans/diff failures. There's not one case. And two, you think the service Department asks these questions or has some basis on a claim in that regard? (rhetorical).

It's akin to audiophiles thinking you need test tones and such to break in the rubber surround on a speaker.

Unless you have actual data to back up every single vehicle ever produced and whether or not ANY failures encountered were ever traceable back to the break-in process, you can't make that claim. You're trying to "prove a negative", and that is quite literally impossible.

Your comparison to audio equipment isn't on par. Whether there's value in or not, the reality is that operating a loudspeaker in a matter that flexes the material of the speaker is somewhat akin to "softening" leather. Prove that softening the leather in a chair doesn't make it more comfortable and/or wear better over time. Again, you can't.

In the case of a car, we aren't trying to "wear in" flexible parts, so it isn't a good comparison.

Finally, it doesn't matter whether break-in is or isn't ever related to failure because it absolutely IS related to various aspects of operation that can be measured in other areas. As mentioned already, the MPG of my 2006 TL was far superior to that of the 2008 TL that owned. Identical cars right down to the paint color. The difference was that -I- broke the 2006 in and did it according to Acura's directions. Someone else broke in the 2008 and my guess is that it was NOT done in the same manner and that's why it suffered.

As far as dealers asking questions, they don't have to. The data is stored in the car. And, if you (or the previous owner in the case of buying used) agreed to all of the stupid privacy policies in the car with the different features, GM has been collecting that data over the life of the car and they absolutely WILL use it if they can to deny a warranty claim... Even claims that aren't related.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #25
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
The rings are set before you get the car, so the rest is break-in, so I would vary speeds etc, but you don't need to drive like your trying to seat the rings.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Unless you have actual data to back up every single vehicle ever produced and whether or not ANY failures encountered were ever traceable back to the break-in process, you can't make that claim. You're trying to "prove a negative", and that is quite literally impossible.

Your comparison to audio equipment isn't on par. Whether there's value in or not, the reality is that operating a loudspeaker in a matter that flexes the material of the speaker is somewhat akin to "softening" leather. Prove that softening the leather in a chair doesn't make it more comfortable and/or wear better over time. Again, you can't.

In the case of a car, we aren't trying to "wear in" flexible parts, so it isn't a good comparison.

Finally, it doesn't matter whether break-in is or isn't ever related to failure because it absolutely IS related to various aspects of operation that can be measured in other areas. As mentioned already, the MPG of my 2006 TL was far superior to that of the 2008 TL that owned. Identical cars right down to the paint color. The difference was that -I- broke the 2006 in and did it according to Acura's directions. Someone else broke in the 2008 and my guess is that it was NOT done in the same manner and that's why it suffered.

As far as dealers asking questions, they don't have to. The data is stored in the car. And, if you (or the previous owner in the case of buying used) agreed to all of the stupid privacy policies in the car with the different features, GM has been collecting that data over the life of the car and they absolutely WILL use it if they can to deny a warranty claim... Even claims that aren't related.
I think you're making some big assumptions, more than likely it was dimensional variations in parts and assembly rather than the first 500 miles by a different owner
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #27
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post

I'm sure most manufacturers design their engines based on the fact that only 5% of people will actually break in their engine. They don't want a ton of warranty claims after all. You'd be surprised how many people have never even heard of it. The rest just don't care.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #28
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I view it much like wearing a mask out in public. If it doesn't matter, all I'm out is having to wear a mask, if it keeps me from catching covid then excellent, I'll probably never know for sure though. Or like when the light goes green and you start going, glance over to make sure traffic is stopping. Even if it's the person who ran the lights fault, you still have to deal with being in an accident.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote