Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
You guys need to carefully check piston to valve clearance with some of the camshafts your discussing in this thread. Just because a shop sell it doesn't mean it automatically is going to work without any issues. .020" pistons to valve clearance isn't allowable by any stretch of the imagination... When we designed our LS3 camshafts we used our engine dyno to test numerous camshafts side by side. We also took time to check piston to valve clearance on each camshaft to insure what we found work well, also cleared properly....

If guys checked they're install properly you'd be how little clearance some of these camshafts have....
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I'm gonna sound like a Vengeance sales rep pretty soon...but obviously I'm pretty happy with what they did for me...and tennessee can be a short drive to Atlanta...

OCCASIONALLY I'll think that I will want to go the FI route...but it's ALWAYS when I'm reading the forums and NEVER when I'm behind the wheel.

You asked for opinions...that's mine. And my car sounds just flat out mean.
Hey Mossman,
I have watched your video multiple times. Your car is an inspiration and it sounds totally Bad Ass!!!! Thanks a lot for the advice.

I have heard some really good things about Vengeance but I have already been working with Cincy Speed. They are great guys to deal with.
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
Did I hear correct? You drove up to Rick in KY to drive his SS?

Imagine his car, with 4:10s and 150 shot.
Craig, Rick just tossed me the keys and said "Take her down the Road" Talk about one Super Cool Dude!!!!

His g6x3 cammed SS was a BEAST!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
You guys need to carefully check piston to valve clearance with some of the camshafts your discussing in this thread. Just because a shop sell it doesn't mean it automatically is going to work without any issues. .020" pistons to valve clearance isn't allowable by any stretch of the imagination... When we designed our LS3 camshafts we used our engine dyno to test numerous camshafts side by side. We also took time to check piston to valve clearance on each camshaft to insure what we found work well, also cleared properly....

If guys checked they're install properly you'd be how little clearance some of these camshafts have....
Hey Jason.. Thanks for your input. Are you specifically referring to the g6x3 Cam? I was under the impression that a very reputable company like LG Motorsports had spent tons of time researching this particular Cam and that it is a proven Cam for the LS-3 motor. Is there something I have missed here???
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
Craig, Rick just tossed me the keys and said "Take her down the Road" Talk about one Super Cool Dude!!!!

His g6x3 cammed SS was a BEAST!!!!!!
Awesome! Rick is planning on coming back to us for a Nitrous Kit install along with 4:10s. His SS is going to be one bad mofo!!

As for yours, just imagine your louder exhaust with the same thump...Do your neighbors like you??

Too bad Matt put his away for the winter. He has the same Headers and CB you are getting installed along with Nitrous. Once the roads are clear, hopefully soon, he will be back for some final tweaks and a few pulls on the roller with the spray! Its going to be sic.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
The Mods will start this coming week!!! My Richmond 4:10 gears have been ordered. I have been racking my brain all weekend because I am torn between going with the LG g6x3 Cam or just doing a smaller cam that will support a Super Charger that I "MIGHT" one day decide to do later down the road. Both cams including install will cost about the same.

Obviously with the smaller Super Charger cam, I will not get as much Horsepower and Wumpity.-Wump sound as I would with the g6x3.

On one hand, I like the coolness factor of an Old School N/A build with that Wumpity-Wump Cam, Heads, Intake etc... and just may decide to stay N/A and if so.... the SC Cam may be a mistake. On the other hand I may decide that I want more HP and the SC route would be an easy option to fill that need w/o killing driveability.

Like I said The Super Charger is a "Maybe One-Day" Mod.
I guess I could always swap Cams if I decide to Super Charge but that would be a costly mistake.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
bro i have the same problem as you , decisions decisions its driving me crazy i want 427 or 454 with a huge cam too.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
Badassbird
LSX Tuner at Cincy Speed

Drives: 1988 GTA Trans Am
Darrel we can custom spec a cam that will have that great cam sound sound, good wheel hp and still be S/C friendly if you want. Trust me no voodoo here just solid experience, know how, good parts and very particular tuning strategies.

Tracey Scott
Lead GM Tech and Tuner -Cincy Speed
513-821-2221
Badassbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
bro i have the same problem as you , decisions decisions its driving me crazy i want 427 or 454 with a huge cam too.
Yes My Man. Talk about Coolness Factor!!!
There is just something about a 427 and Camaro that goes together like Peanut Butter and Jelly!!!

The LS-7 427 option has also crossed my mind.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #23
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
Darrel we can custom spec a cam that will have that great cam sound sound, good wheel hp and still be S/C friendly if you want. Trust me no voodoo here just solid experience, know how, good parts and very particular tuning strategies.
Thanks Tracey. I will call you guys tomorrow to further discuss my options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
Why dont you just get the Nasty NA cam and when you are ready for the SC, Ill just make you a smoking deal on the cam swap/SC install.

Thats one "SWEET" offer Craig. That Nasty g6x3 is VERY, VERY tempting!!!! I could always run it and IF I "One Day" decide to go w/ a SC, we could swap out.

You Guys at Cincy Speed Kick ASS!!!!

BTW Craig, My neighbors Ride Harleys, Raise Hell, Shoot Guns and Drink Beer all night!!!!

They are my Kinda Scum Buddy!!!!

Last edited by Mr. Brownstone; 01-10-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Text Edit
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #24
Hyp
I've been lost...

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS W/IOM LSA Swap
Quote:

you think there will be an issue running a 238/244 @.050 .610/.610 112?
Hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
OrangeChevyII

Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
Quote:

So with that being said, the G6x3 cam is fine.
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
you think there will be an issue running a 238/244 @.050 .610/.610 112?

I would go with a 114 LSA if I were you. Will keep you SMOOOOOTH
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #27
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
I am assuming that the "Slayer Cam" is not a blower friendly cam. It Sounds pretty nasty.
I have the slayer cam with the supercharger and it is good...........Car will lope like you want at idle and will give you more rwhp than you will ever need.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcam View Post
I have the slayer cam with the supercharger and it is good...........Car will lope like you want at idle and will give you more rwhp than you will ever need.
Thanks for your help. Are the Specs available on the "Slayer" cam?