Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
I like the absorber. The absorber seems to last longer before becoming saturated. After saturation, the absorber wins hands down. Just twist out the water and it's like new. The waffle towels seem to reach a point where only washing will make them new again.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
I've been using the Absorber for about 15 years and absolutely loved it until I found something even better. The Absorber XL.
Attached Images

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSizzle View Post
Meguiars makes a product, wax as you dry. You spray it on the car in small areas while the cars still wet. Dry it however you normally do. It leaves a smooth waxed finish.
Cool, I'll check that out. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Patriots fans please use the absorber..
Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8 View Post
Not that I'm not happy with it, it's just that once the waffle micro gets too wet, I find it useless. That's when I bought a leaf blower, followed by the waffle towel. I just remember how effective the absorber was. No fabric softner. Wash all micros with gentle cycle, then no heat fluff dry .
Thats really unusual... I drive a chevy Avalanche, substantially larger than your camaro obviously, and using the leaf blower to do the brunt of the work and then drying with the great white drying towel and detail spray I can do the entire truck with one towel.

Have you tried using the "pooling" method of water sheeting prior to starting the drying process?

Check the video:
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Thats really unusual... I drive a chevy Avalanche, substantially larger than your camaro obviously, and using the leaf blower to do the brunt of the work and then drying with the great white drying towel and detail spray I can do the entire truck with one towel.

Have you tried using the "pooling" method of water sheeting prior to starting the drying process?

Check the video:

This was before the leaf blower. Since the leaf blower, the "great white" is good. The pooling method helps a bunch. I am considering a smaller blower, though. Any suggestions? BTW, is it ok, to clean my PC pads with APC, then rinse?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Works better than a chamois imo. I am getting a new one just for the Camaro, my other one is older than dirt.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
This was before the leaf blower. Since the leaf blower, the "great white" is good. The pooling method helps a bunch. I am considering a smaller blower, though. Any suggestions? BTW, is it ok, to clean my PC pads with APC, then rinse?
Small blower - get the blaster sidekick! I'm fixing to get one if I win the detail something different contest - Dylan says they rock.. and sometimes my leaf blower is just too big!

I use a few sprays of APC on my pads, let it dwell for 5-10min, rinse out with a hose. Air dry.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Patriots fans please use the absorber..
This Pats fan shall comply. I cannot speak for my Patriot brothers and sisters!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Small blower - get the blaster sidekick! I'm fixing to get one if I win the detail something different contest - Dylan says they rock.. and sometimes my leaf blower is just too big!

I use a few sprays of APC on my pads, let it dwell for 5-10min, rinse out with a hose. Air dry.
Can the blaster sidekick be used to dry the whole Camaro (is it powerful enough), I use my leaf blower and it works awesome, but I would much rather have something smaller like the sidekick if it equal to a leaf blower.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Can the blaster sidekick be used to dry the whole Camaro (is it powerful enough), I use my leaf blower and it works awesome, but I would much rather have something smaller like the sidekick if it equal to a leaf blower.
I'll let you know whenever I get mine... Dylan or AJ may have more insight... I havent used one before...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #26
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Take a look at the blaster sidekick that Ryan suggested, really nice and compact, yet powerful.

skip to about the 7 minute mark to see it in action:

APC is made for cleaning pads! It dissolves waxes and polishes without harming the pads cell structure. Just spray it rub it in a little then hose out until the water runs clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Theres a couple of things to consider... I don't think anything, leaf blowers included, can entirely dry a car. You're always going to need to towel dry to some extent, but if you want to compare the most important stats -

Blaster Sidekick - Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
It also warms the air, has a far more controllable stream which is important so you don't stir up dust/dirt from the floor and focus the air where you want it. On top of it all its made in the USA with all steel construction.

An average electric leaf blower is going to have an air volume of around 150-160mph/80-100cfm so technically it moves about the same amount of air, but the air flow is far less focused and it takes a much larger unit to do it. Making it less able to get up close and personal with all the areas you'd want to, plus each time you point even remotely downward it stirs everything up off the ground potentially redepositing on your paint. It doesn't warm the air, and it most likely will be made of plastic and manufactured in China.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #27
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Theres a couple of things to consider... I don't think anything, leaf blowers included, can entirely dry a car. You're always going to need to towel dry to some extent, but if you want to compare the most important stats -

Blaster Sidekick - Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
It also warms the air, has a far more controllable stream which is important so you don't stir up dust/dirt from the floor and focus the air where you want it. On top of it all its made in the USA with all steel construction.

An average electric leaf blower is going to have an air volume of around 150-160mph/80-100cfm so technically it moves about the same amount of air, but the air flow is far less focused and it takes a much larger unit to do it. Making it less able to get up close and personal with all the areas you'd want to, plus each time you point even remotely downward it stirs everything up off the ground potentially redepositing on your paint. It doesn't warm the air, and it most likely will be made of plastic and manufactured in China.
I bought a Black and Decker Leaf Hog. It claims 230 MPH, but it is so big, that is is just not fun to use.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #28
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
I bought a Black and Decker Leaf Hog. It claims 230 MPH, but it is so big, that is is just not fun to use.
Yea I have a toro power sweep that I used to use before I got my blaster... it was just too big and unruly. I took an old microfiber wash mit, cut the end open and attached it to the outlet of the leaf blower to let me get super close to the paint without fear of hurting anything if I got TOO close. It still wasn't ideal b/c it just wouldn't get that concentrated blast into the crevices.