Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Damn it think more about the early 80's welded doors you guys are way too young.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
Yeahyouknwit

Drives: 2003 Mustang Gt Conv.
welded doors are not really desirable in a daily driver. it would kind of suck in the rain
Yeahyouknwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahyouknwit View Post
welded doors are not really desirable in a daily driver. it would kind of suck in the rain
It was a joke. And a reference to the Dukes of Hazard (which nobody got).
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You'd likely end up painting almost half of the car if you welded the handles and such up. The correct way to do that would involve completely stripping the doors of items that overlap the exterior paint, and then do the same for the quarter panels so the color would match. I've seen some guys butt-match paint pretty close, really close, a couple times, but you are risking a color-match issue if you don't. In order to go that route, you'd have to remove and install the rear facia, remove and install the roof joint moldings, rope the windshield and backglass moldings (they look like soft rubber, not moldings - but I haven't seen one in person yet, so you might even have to pull the moldings in that case) because you have to carry clearcoat all the way up the roof edges so there are no edges where the clearcoat stops (unless you carry the clearcoat to a jamb or under trim, you will always see where it has stopped or was feathered-in), remove the rocker moldings (because they butt up to the lower edges of the doglegs in front of the rear wheels), and then have possible corrosion issues because of the welding on the door skins for the handles.

Don't get me wrong; it can be done, but if it isn't done correctly, it will come back to haunt you later. I've seen it time-and-time again... It's your car, but just be educated as to what is being done to it and make sure whoever does it understands what you are expecting.

JM.02.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
Yeahyouknwit

Drives: 2003 Mustang Gt Conv.
yeah i kinda missed that joke my bad lol. I do think im going to shave the door handles when i get my camaro tho. probably not right away but it will happen as long as its not too involved
Yeahyouknwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Its called shaving the door handles. Look it up.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Anything can be done. Its just a matter of time, money, and effort.

You have to weigh the cost involved and see if its really worth it. Personally, I think the handles look just fine, but thats just my opinion.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote