Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
Sunrise does not have a metalic base. It is gold pearl mixed into a basecoat. It is all in one can.

And yes you can spray pearl in clear over top of any color. You won't know what it will look like until you spray a test panel. If you were going to go through all of that, you would be better of sealing it out with white sealer and starting over with the color you really want.
Check out the House of Color base pearls. They are very nice.
Thanks for the info (and correction on the metallic base). I think I'll save my custom paintjob for the '55 Chevy I plan to buy after I pay off the Camaro.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #16
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
No offense but even my almost 5-year old son told me not to get the Rally Yellow because it wasn't the same color as Bumblebee (which he got to see one of the movie cars in person at a local dealership). So, yes, kids can tell the difference. Maybe mine is more into cars than most but I digress...

Rally yellow is not metallic nor is it orange/gold tinted like Sunrise. I was actually trying to figure out the other day if it was possible to put a gold/orange tinted pearl'ish clear coat on Rally Yellow to tone it down so it was closer to Sunrise but decided it would look like crap without the metallic base.

Well your 4 year old might have a real bright future ahead of him if he can decifer these two shades of yellow and convince you not to purchase a car because it doesn't match his transformers toy. I would say he is in the minority of the minority. I can tell you that my 3 year old has no clue that the Bumble Bee is not even real much less be able to debate whether a car that's not even on the road is not the same color as one in a movie. Again, my point is that I don't think many outside of your young lad will argue the color difference.

So what color does he suggest?
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
So what color does he suggest?
Ironically, we actually had this discussion the other day...he said Victory Red. Why? Because the fast cars are always red. Can't argue with that logic.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #18
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Ironically, we actually had this discussion the other day...he said Victory Red. Why? Because the fast cars are always red. Can't argue with that logic.
cops notice that too. that's why red, IOM, yellow, and RJT were easy to cross off my option list
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
cops notice that too. that's why red, IOM, yellow, and RJT were easy to cross off my option list
I'd be careful with anything featuring stripes on the hood, as well as dark tint on a light car. They look for little cues that your car is their next quota.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Don't cross them off because that is what you believe...get it because that is maybe what you want.

I don't notice red any more than black or white.

Again....and I'll say this 1,000,000 times if I have to. What cops notice are the LOUD exhausts as you are tearing off out of parking lots and onto highways, etc. The only reason heads turn are because of NOISE!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #21
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
$10k was just the rough estimate we were given a long while ago...I don't know the exact number.

Clearly the point is that it would be impossible to offer the paint from the factory.

It is not worth $10,000 for the paint
.. I've actually researched this as I was interested at one point to get the car painted in Sunrise Yellow. The cost of the paint is about $65 a quart and you would need about 8 quarts for the whole car including door jams and everything. It's painted over the color white so you need to buy a white car, and the paint would be about $520. The cost of the paint job would be no more than $2,000 over the amount we are already paying for the stock/base paint job. GM could buy the paint in bulk and get a discount while simply asking for us to pay $520 for the cost of the paint including the cost of the white paint underneath. The package could be a little over a thousand and perhaps people would choose that over the RS package since bumblebee uses the halogen regular standard headlights and not the halos.. I would even go as far as to say that including the option for another thousand to have black painted stripes under the clearcoat would have all the enthusiasts supporting and buying..My guess is that overall GM is not doing this because they don't know how many would order it and it may slow things down in the factory perhaps more than they would want.. However even if it did slow things down, just having more Bumblebee clones on the road from factory at launch will generate so much buzz and free advertising that GM would not be able to make enough of them.. I think it is a HUGE mistake for GM not to capitalize on the success and popularity of Bumblebee by not offering this color as an option or package.. Heck, now it is almost too late since the dealdline for changing the orders is upon us.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #22
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Don't cross them off because that is what you believe...get it because that is maybe what you want.

Again....and I'll say this 1,000,000 times if I have to. What cops notice are the LOUD exhausts as you are tearing off out of parking lots and onto highways, etc. The only reason heads turn are because of NOISE!!!
Aw crap. Guess I'll cross Cherry Bomb Glasspacks of my list of mods to do. :(
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

There are even studies that back this up. Red, yellow, and orange are not noticed any more then the other colors.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hey...you want it straight from a police officer that patrols every day on the streets, there ya go.

I sit with others as we write reports, talk, etc. and it is like any other normal person out on the roads. Noise brings attention. I won't notice a silent red vette flooring it a block behind me. BUT...a pink whatever flooring it with a SLP loudmouth exhaust is going to make me and my buddies turn our heads. It's really as simple as that.

The quieter the exhaust you have, the less attention you bring to yourself. If you want a loud exhaust, you'd better look around real well before flooring it!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #25
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Quote:
Hey...you want it straight from a police officer that patrols every day on the streets, there ya go.

I sit with others as we write reports, talk, etc. and it is like any other normal person out on the roads. Noise brings attention. I won't notice a silent red vette flooring it a block behind me. BUT...a pink whatever flooring it with a SLP loudmouth exhaust is going to make me and my buddies turn our heads. It's really as simple as that.

The quieter the exhaust you have, the less attention you bring to yourself. If you want a loud exhaust, you'd better look around real well before flooring it!
Your's isn't quiet by any means lol. But then you have the home field advantage
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote