Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #267
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Dynapak takes off the rear wheels.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #268
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
I had the same last year. Curious what type of dyno used. Was a DynoJet where they take the rear wheel off?
It was a Dynajet but the read wheels were left on.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #269
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
I have a L99, mods are headers,catback,c.i.a. and ported tb and a tune.It dynoed at 369/385. my best time is a 12.49 @ 113 mph...its best in the 1/8th is a 8.0 @ 89+ mph.The 12.49 and the 8.0 was run on stock p-zero tires in normal conditions in summer heat. I don't chase the DA for hero runs. my 60' was 1.88 on my PB run.

My question is with the 1le putting out more horsepower stock than my car has modded,why haven't we seen low 12's at the dragstrip with these cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
The gearing is set up differently you end up having to shift into 4th before the 1/4 mile is up. The tires are absolute crap for the 1/4 too.

With similar mods to you my 1LE put down 432HP/422TQ... I say this for comparison purposes only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
Whats your best times 1/4 and 1/8 mile with 432 hp? My car should be in the 11's with 60+ more hp.
Also the suspension on the 1LE does not transfer weight to the back like the SS which aids in traction. Bottom line the 1LE as stated is designed for great tracking not the strip.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #270
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
yep Matt was very surprised by the HP............ as well as myself
Mine only makes 2 more hp (on a Mustang dyno also), and I've got a tune, AR headers, and an x pipe (in addition to the CAI)!

Congratulations! Sounds like you got a really good one!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #271
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
Any fellow Florida 1L!E owners recommend a dyno in Jacksonville, Orlando, or Tampa? Or conversely, a shop to avoid? I read through the posts trying to see if the majority of us used one brand of dyno over another. (I wanted to post comparable results.)

I know when it comes to bike dynos, the particular model (and even software) played a big part in determining performance changes when modding. Also, I trust we are all doing runs with hoods closed, right?
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #272
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAir View Post
Also, I trust we are all doing runs with hoods closed, right?

Hood open....Standard dyno fans cannot duplicate the airflow to run with hoods closed.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #273
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
It seems there would be inconsistencies with an open hood. Even if everyone was running with the stock airbox, the placement of the shop's fans in relation to the snorkel could impact results. My assumption about closed hoods was that while not completely leveling the playing field, it would make results more comparable.

I have seen YouTube clips of guys doing hero runs on dynos with massive fans mere inches from their airboxes. (Think: the kind that are normally sealed by a closed hood).
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #274
zim2323

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE
Stupid question time.

How much do the 3.91's have to do with a dyno pull? I would assume the gearing would make up for some of these higher numbers, no?

Sorry again if this is a dumb question.
zim2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #275
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
It seems there would be inconsistencies with an open hood. Even if everyone was running with the stock airbox, the placement of the shop's fans in relation to the snorkel could impact results. My assumption about closed hoods was that while not completely leveling the playing field, it would make results more comparable.

I have seen YouTube clips of guys doing hero runs on dynos with massive fans mere inches from their airboxes. (Think: the kind that are normally sealed by a closed hood).
You mean "Dyno Queens"? LOL

Doesn't matter what the car can actually do in a real situation - they want the paper with the big numbers.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #276
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:

Article for your reading pleasure:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lying-feature

About 13 years ago I was involved in purchasing the second AWD dyno that Mustang made and my cars at the time had more runs on that dyno than most of the customers combined.......BUT I used it as a tool for measurement only and then backed my claims at a drag strip with MPH and car weight as verification. I cant even count the number of time I beat a similar car "with more whp" than my car and the owner could not figure out how. HINT:It's because we dont race dynos!

A dyno is like any precision instrument for measurement....If the operator doesn't know how, or is using it incorrectly the results will vary. At the same time as long as the variables are constant (as they can be in a shop) it can be very useful for showing A to B gains which is why baselines are so important if you plan to mod. At the same time I can manipulate the results by making a few changes if I want a dyno queen or say a manufacture of a part want to claim a high HP gain if you use their X product. (results may vary)

The baseline dyno thread is a nice way for others to get an idea of what their car should put down at the wheel, but don't you dare have a too high or too low or your car will be labeled as a factory freak or as a car in need of a new motor
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #277
SS MPSTR
Resident Artichoke

Drives: 14 1LE, 97 Z28, 07 Z06, 67 Chev SS
I'd like to see the trap speeds of some of the cars with the incredible dyno numbers.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #278
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Very interesting thread. Thanks to all for your contributions. I was especially interested to see the Mike Norris results back in Post 80 on a bone stock 1LE with 34 miles putting down 387/390 on his Dynojet. I have an appointment with Mike for ARH+VMax+tune on May 20. By that time, my 2SS with NPP (non-1LE) will have about 1500 miles on it. I couldn't wait that long to start modding it so it already has CAI, catch can and separator. So, I would think my car should put down higher numbers on it's baseline run. Anyway, you will have 1LE stock vs 2SS w/CAI on the same dyno with the same highly competent operator. Can't wait to see what happens.

I've also got aftermarket wheels and tires not yet installed that will save 13.5 lbs per corner. After reading all the comments about lighter wheels helping I am very tempted to install them beforehand.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #279
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
Dyno Tuned yesterday 440 HP 412 Torque
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #280
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit1le View Post
Dyno Tuned yesterday 440 HP 412 Torque
That's around 520 Flywheel HP. Nice ride. Any pictures?