Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #281
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Well... If they have problems, it will get around like wild fire. I figure I'd rather make it right the first time before they start going out... Only one shot to get it right.

Looking back now, I probably should have waited another 6-8 months before announcing it, but I didn't think it would take this long.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #282
Jason@JacFab

Well the winning name entry has been chosen, and from here on out the intake shall be referred to as "Cold Rush". Congrats to Lee B. for submitting the winning name!

As far as updates go, the latest and greatest is pictured below. In theory this should solve the fueling problems and eliminate the reported drive-ability issues related to MAF placement. Measurements are based off of the stock tubular MAF mount section of the stock air box. The MAF mounts in the center of a 6" section of tube... I was hoping to have the first couple prototypes in hand this week, but I'm told I should get them next Tuesday now.

I'm hoping I can hone one out little by little and achieve the desired AFR and retain the drive-ability, and stable MAF readings, so we'll see what happens. The idea is that the silicone intake tube can be split, and either side will slide over this MAF mount up to the stop ring in the center. This will allow the MAF to be mounted in a rigid section of tube that won't flex like just the silicone tube would, yet almost the whole MAF mount piece will be insulated by the silicone tube material and ultimately keep the hot engine compartment air from tampering with the IAT readings.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 03-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #283
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Cold Rush.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #284
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Congrats Lee for the winning name! The MAF housing looks promising and makes sense that it should be in a rigid type of mount! Good luvck with the testing!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #285
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Nice name and nice update. I'm wanting this intake. Your logic makes alot of sense to me. It seems like how I would make one if I had the time, money and resources.

I hope it all works out Jason I'm holding out for one of these. Thanks for all your efforts.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #286
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Well the winning name entry has been chosen, and from here on out the intake shall be referred to as "Cold Rush". Congrats to Lee B. for submitting the winning name!
Just because you'd have to make the tube 12in longer to fit my submitted name on it doesn't mean you shouldn't have chosen it. I feel cheated.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #287
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Just because you'd have to make the tube 12in longer to fit my submitted name on it doesn't mean you shouldn't have chosen it. I feel cheated.
Well if it makes you feel any better, someone by the name of "Joe Biden" also entered and did not win, despite his possible "celebrity", or "High end" status... Although I really got a kick out of the name "Monica" that he submitted, I didn't feel that it would be appropriate
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #288
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Well if it makes you feel any better, someone by the name of "Joe Biden" also entered and did not win, despite his possible "celebrity", or "High end" status... Although I really got a kick out of the name "Monica" that he submitted, I didn't feel that it would be appropriate
Didn't know Bill was pimpin her out. Hell, I need to make a call.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #289
IndeedSS1

Quote:

As far as updates go, the latest and greatest is pictured below. In theory this should solve the fueling problems and eliminate the reported drive-ability issues related to MAF placement. Measurements are based off of the stock tubular MAF mount section of the stock air box. The MAF mounts in the center of a 6" section of tube... I was hoping to have the first couple prototypes in hand this week, but I'm told I should get them next Tuesday now.

I'm hoping I can hone one out little by little and achieve the desired AFR and retain the drive-ability, and stable MAF readings, so we'll see what happens. The idea is that the silicone intake tube can be split, and either side will slide over this MAF mount up to the stop ring in the center. This will allow the MAF to be mounted in a rigid section of tube that won't flex like just the silicone tube would, yet almost the whole MAF mount piece will be insulated by the silicone tube material and ultimately keep the hot engine compartment air from tampering with the IAT readings.
I didn't see that second picture the first time I saw the post although your description painted the picture just like shown. It Should work very well.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 03-09-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #290
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
How much does the new MAF affect the internal diameter of the tube?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #291
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I didn't see that second picture the first time I saw the post although your description painted the picture just like shown. It Should work very well.
It wasn't there the first time you looked. I went back into SolidWorks and added the tube sections to give people a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
How much does the new MAF affect the internal diameter of the tube?
It is modeled off of the stock tubular section where the MAF mounts on the factory air box, so the ID is 3.745 currently but I will be experimenting with honing it out to a bigger ID before the final the final piece is OK'ed for production. I figured stock was a good place to start... Keep in mind that most aluminum intake tubes are 4" OD, and w/ a .065" wall thickness, leaves you with a 3.87" ID... The silicone intake tubes are 4" ID.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #292
Jason@JacFab

I'm told that I can pick my prototype piece for the MAF mount up in the morning... It was originally supposed to be done Tuesday, but that didn't work out. But none the less the timing worked out pretty well, as I am leaving tomorrow afternoon going on a road trip north, and plan to hit the Woodburn Dragstip on Sunday for their test and tune. So there will be a variety of road/track testing happening this weekend, fingers crossed the track doesn't get rained out.

In other news, I'm switching companies to have the silicone intake tube pieces made. The original place has always been slow to respond, IF I even got a response at all, and this late in the game, I'm frankly tired of waiting on them and leary of giving them a wad of cash to make the first batch of pieces. I sent off the specs for the pieces on Monday to the new company, and they have been in constant contact and I received the quote today. The nice thing is that the tooling they have can accommodate my pieces and I will not have to pay for new tooling, the down side is that they are a bit more expensive than the original company I was working with led me to believe, but their customer service thus far will be worth it in the end and I don't have the "uneasy" feeling that I had begun to get with the first company. I'm told that the first 2 pieces that I will receive for approval are 2 weeks out to my door, and once I approve production will begin.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #293
IndeedSS1

Quote:
I'm told that I can pick my prototype piece for the MAF mount up in the morning... It was originally supposed to be done Tuesday, but that didn't work out. But none the less the timing worked out pretty well, as I am leaving tomorrow afternoon going on a road trip north, and plan to hit the Woodburn Dragstip on Sunday for their test and tune. So there will be a variety of road/track testing happening this weekend, fingers crossed the track doesn't get rained out.

In other news, I'm switching companies to have the silicone intake tube pieces made. The original place has always been slow to respond, IF I even got a response at all, and this late in the game, I'm frankly tired of waiting on them and leary of giving them a wad of cash to make the first batch of pieces. I sent off the specs for the pieces on Monday to the new company, and they have been in constant contact and I received the quote today. The nice thing is that the tooling they have can accommodate my pieces and I will not have to pay for new tooling, the down side is that they are a bit more expensive than the original company I was working with led me to believe, but their customer service thus far will be worth it in the end and I don't have the "uneasy" feeling that I had begun to get with the first company. I'm told that the first 2 pieces that I will receive for approval are 2 weeks out to my door, and once I approve production will begin.
All in all, great news

She is only memory now.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #294
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Need a like button... good news.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity