Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #281
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
The new Malibu LTZ is a good looking car. Wished a more performance orientated engine and 4wd were offered in it. Tried to get the wife to look at them, unfortunately I put her in an Audi and will never get her out of them.
Hey, The Audi's are killer ! But yea, I know what you're saying! I want the Audi S5 next to my camaro. Audi's is the top brand to me with GM. So yea, she's not giving that up.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #282
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Anyone ever think the same person designed the last Saturn Vue?
Good catch!

I sat in the interior and the pics look better than reality.

The Malibu interior is a smidge better. The resale value will hold as G8 GTs still hold at $22k or above for a 5+ year car.

I like to get ine ss the Charger SRT just doesn't seem to be as refined as the SS.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #283
Notorious Bob

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
The Monaro VXR (the Holden Commodore as marketed by Vauxhall in the UK) got "rave" reviews - Top Gear handed it to a group of Japanese drift racers and they had a ball with it.

BUT - why Chevy have made is 2WD and put a trucks dash in it gawd only knows. It needed to be a sedan to rival an M5 - Chevy should have simply rebadged the VXR - they didn't need to change a damn thing.
Notorious Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #284
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
First off, the Monaro VXR is a completely different car. It's not even CLOSE to the SS/VF Commodore.

Second, VF Commodore is RWD. GM literally changed nothing but the badging and RHD to LHD.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #285
Notorious Bob

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
First off, the Monaro VXR is a completely different car. It's not even CLOSE to the SS/VF Commodore.

Second, VF Commodore is RWD. GM literally changed nothing but the badging and RHD to LHD.
I thought that the heritage of the VXR was from the HSV GTO which was the touring version of the Commodore? Doesn't it trace heritage to the Opel from Europe?

If Chevy had taken the VXR and rebadged that then they'd have a monster touring racer.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #286
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Bob View Post
I thought that the heritage of the VXR was from the HSV GTO which was the touring version of the Commodore? Doesn't it trace heritage to the Opel from Europe?

If Chevy had taken the VXR and rebadged that then they'd have a monster touring racer.
The Vauxhall Monaro was just a Holden Monaro shipped over to Europe.

If you're talking about the VXR8, that's an HSV GTS shipped to Europe.

What we have as the SS is a Holden VF Commodore.

All of these cars originated from Holden/HSV in Australia. Not Europe.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #287
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Ive been listening to a few podcasts and know its only a matter of time before they put a LT1 in it. After all these years I know to sit back and wait for the upgrade. The new 8L80 is going to make the current trans feel out classed and out dated. Mag suspension may also become an option. I feel that the SS is now old tech and a generation behind the C7 and the 6th gen Camaro when it gets reveled in the next year or so. I would also jump out and get one if it had LT1, 8L80E (8 speed auto) or even the rumored DTC in a few years. Add mag ride suspension and a more unique front and rear facia because most of GM new models look similar from a distance. Just make it cheaper then the ZL1 because it will be just a regular NA Vette motor just like they put in the affordable 5th Camaro SS... Not everybody wants to pay for the added cost of a factory supercharged/turbocharged car... I'd be down just as long as its base msrp didn't go up much and if people wanted mag suspension and rear Brembo's and Recaro seats then they will opt for it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #288
FenwickHockey65

VF Commodore was never designed for LT1. Holden had the option to but from what I understand VF Commodore was too far along in development.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #289
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
VF Commodore was never designed for LT1. Holden had the option to but from what I understand VF Commodore was too far along in development.
I agree if feels like old tech for the price. But I can imagine the LT1 will definitely add to the price, which is high already.

I also heard they were going to add the LT1 to it in 1-2 yrs. If it is a quick run car, then don't do it.

Can it compete with the Charger SRT? Yea.
Is it way better? No.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #290
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
You could probably say the same about the GTO when it was released with the 5.7L LS1 only to be followed by the 6.0L LS2 a year or so later... same thing could also be said about the 6.0L L76 that was in the G8 GT at launch only to be followed by the 6.2L LS3 in the GXP a year or so later.

The C4 vette was probably never designed to fit a DOHC V8 but GM got the DOHC LT-5 to fit just fine.

I think it was a poor decision on GM's part to not have the LT1 at launch because new models usually only get reviewed by the automotive press once during launch.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #291
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
You could probably say the same about the GTO when it was released with the 5.7L LS1 only to be followed by the 6.0L LS2 a year or so later... same thing could also be said about the 6.0L L76 that was in the G8 GT at launch only to be followed by the 6.2L LS3 in the GXP a year or so later.

The C4 vette was probably never designed to fit a DOHC V8 but GM got the DOHC LT-5 to fit just fine.

I think it was a poor decision on GM's part to not have the LT1 at launch because new models usually only get reviewed by the automotive press once during launch.
VE Commodore always had the L76 and LS3 in the lineup. It was just a matter of making it LHD and hanging a new bumper.

You're asking VF to go from being designed for LS-series (Gen IV V8) use to LT-series (Gen V V8). That's not just a matter of pulling an engine out and replacing it.

Not to mention this is a low volume car that GM honestly probably doesn't want to sell much of (coughcough CAFE) and will be less than willing to make such a large investment in. Plus the fact that Zeta and Commodore as we know it is on its last legs.

Wait for the rumored Alpha-based model. Then you'll get your LT-series V8.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #292
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
im hoping the ss sticks.. I need a couple years then ill buy it.. so you think the car will transition to US for build?
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #293
FenwickHockey65

The completely unconfirmed, possibly absolutely false rumor is the 2nd gen SS will be NA-built.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #294
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I want an SS so bad I can taste it.
Then I can swap front and rear clips with the HSV GTS, and steal its tail and tail lights! Then I would only need EDI!