Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #295
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Pretty much same here. Im 29 and got a 98 z28 in 2004. When I was growing up mustang gt=weak.
Hey I'm 30 and I got mine in 2000 when I was a junior in high school(mommy and daddy financed it and I worked at Target pushing carts to pay for the car and my $400 a month insurance). You're right, I was never concerned about anything from Ford pulling up next to me, until one day at the end of 02 when I was getting on the freeway next to a Cobra and that dentist drill sounding thing blew past me like I was standing still. Regular Mustang GTs were pretty much 14 second cars from like 1965 until 2005, then they finally decided to make them mid to high 13 second cars lol
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #296
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
So...did the OP ever shut up the Challenger guy?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #297
SAP_Pete

Drives: 2010 LS/2015 A6/2010 Q7/2004 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
Your right they stopped building 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds because they sucked and didn't make money. That is why there is no 03-09 Camaro. At the time Camaro was dead.

They stopped building the 4th gen Mustang because the 5th gen came out. that's normally what happens when a new gen comes out they stop production of the old gen. There was no halt in production, the Mustang continued to be made and continued to sell while the Camaro was no more. I'm not sure where you were trying to go with your post.
The 4th gen Mustang was a lame POS, and couldn't hold a candle to the 4th gen F-Body in the performance department. Congrats, they sold a lot of Mustang, since every 16 year old girl and every hair dresser wanted one. If that's your criteria, why don't you buy a Camry ? It's clearly the better car.
I thought we were amongst car enthusiasts here.
SAP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #298
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Ut oh. Looks like some didnt like the junky 4th gen talk.
Yeah, who cares if it is flying apart as it goes down the track, it is still doing it FAST! Hey, maybe it was the self-lightening car?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #299
SAP_Pete

Drives: 2010 LS/2015 A6/2010 Q7/2004 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Actually it was just time for a new platform and gen of Mustang. The 04 was still running a version of the fox platform that appeared in the late 70s. Obviously GM didn't see a reason to continue the Camaro at that time. You are right, the 94 GT was kind of pathetic stock. The good thing with the old 5.0 is you had an aftermarket that let you make huge amounts of power for a comparably small investment.
Agreed, it's always tricky to compare one platform that is about to be replaced with one that just was released. If you're in the market for a car, you pretty much have to go by what's available. Back in the day, I test drove a 94 GT and a 94 Formula, and the difference was night and day in favor of the F-Body for what I was looking for in a car.

Had I made the same comparison in, say, 2001 or 2002, it would have been closer for me. I've owned Fords and Lincolns as well as Pontiacs and Chevy's, though I admit I'm more a GM than Ford guy. Doesn't mean I wouldn't think about buying a Mustang if I thought it clearly beat out the Camaro.
SAP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #300
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP_Pete View Post
Agreed, it's always tricky to compare one platform that is about to be replaced with one that just was released. If you're in the market for a car, you pretty much have to go by what's available. Back in the day, I test drove a 94 GT and a 94 Formula, and the difference was night and day in favor of the F-Body for what I was looking for in a car.

Had I made the same comparison in, say, 2001 or 2002, it would have been closer for me. I've owned Fords and Lincolns as well as Pontiacs and Chevy's, though I admit I'm more a GM than Ford guy. Doesn't mean I wouldn't think about buying a Mustang if I thought it clearly beat out the Camaro.
Very true. 96-98 were dark years performancewise for the Mustang. During those years IMHO, you were better finding a nice used 93 Cobra or LX hatch or getting a TA or Formula. One thing I noticed too, especially in 93-96 (pret new interior and the 98 LS1s) the Firebirds just all around felt better than the Camaros and had much nicer interiors.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #301
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Funny theres no trap speed for the fast Challenger fast list on the 1st page..

Did op ever shut him up?

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #302
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Funny theres no trap speed for the fast Challenger fast list on the 1st page..

Did op ever shut him up?
Nah, won't have the chance. My dude with the hemi is stationed in Virginia.. I'm in Cali. Just needed the validation of the camaro community!

If you're reading this objects In side view mirrors are losing as I'm rowing the 3:91's
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #303
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
I would take my old '02 35th anniversary SLP SS over any terminator any day. Everyone talks how the terminators could beat the SS. Yet no one acknowledges it's equal. The SLP as that is also supercharged and just like the SS compared to the gt. The SLP walked the cobra

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #304
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
I would take my old '02 35th anniversary SLP SS over any terminator any day. Everyone talks how the terminators could beat the SS. Yet no one acknowledges it's equal. The SLP as that is also supercharged and just like the SS compared to the gt. The SLP walked the cobra
Terminators ran high 12s or faster at 111mph. LS1s, even later ones with the ls6 intake made after 2000.5 ran 12s in hero runs and anywhere near that trap. They are far from equal. And really? You and that g35 guy go to the same ricer school? If the ls was supercharged? What if that Cobra 4.6 displaced 5.7 liters? Lol come on man. If you think that 4th gens were on par in any way to the Terminators, it's purely because of blind brand loyalty. I had a 4th gen. While cheap to modify, as an all around great vehicle, it left a lot to be desired.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #305
aggieguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Terminators ran high 12s or faster at 111mph. LS1s, even later ones with the ls6 intake made after 2000.5 ran 12s in hero runs and anywhere near that trap. They are far from equal. And really? You and that g35 guy go to the same ricer school? If the ls was supercharged? What if that Cobra 4.6 displaced 5.7 liters? Lol come on man. If you think that 4th gens were on par in any way to the Terminators, it's purely because of blind brand loyalty. I had a 4th gen. While cheap to modify, as an all around great vehicle, it left a lot to be desired.
The SLP 35th anniversarys were supercharged with complete suspension upgrades. Not a 35th anniversary. But a few of the 3,250 anniversary a made were taken to SLP and worked.not just the regular ones that were 345hp.

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #306
aggieguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
And if you think comparing a blown v8 to a naturally aspirated one is anywhere near being accurate maybe your the one with a lot in common with ricer boy. God forbid u compare the sc mustang to the sc camaro. Why that would be too fair. Chevy has always been able to do what ford can't do without forced induction. Which is why the 427 COPO is a even race with the blown 427 cobra jet

Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #307
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
The whole 03 Cobra vs LS1 F body is not even close to a fair comparison. For one your comparing a 03 model year car to a car that was not in production any more. People try to compare them all the time and IMO its stupid. The two cars are not in the same league nor are they in the same model year. You wouldn't compare a 2010 Camaro SS to a 2009 Mustang GT so I never do understand why people try to do a 03 Cobra vs 02 LS1 F-body. I think the issue comes up because Ford finally after 10 years builds a Mustang that can beat a F body and Ford fan bois finally got to thump their chest. Lets say GM did build a 2003 Camaro and changed nothing from 02. Well you still would not be able to fairly compare them IMO. The Cobra had a starting MSRP of over 33k while a loaded Z28 was around 25k and SS was 28k. The fair comparison for 03 would have been Z28>GT, SS>Mach 1 and the Cobra would have been without a competitor. That being said I think the Mustang was of better quality in every way other than the engine and performance. The whole performance battle between the Mustang and Camaro between 93-02 was a lot like the Vietnam War. GM won all the battles but lost the war.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #308
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
And if you think comparing a blown v8 to a naturally aspirated one is anywhere near being accurate maybe your the one with a lot in common with ricer boy. God forbid u compare the sc mustang to the sc camaro. Why that would be too fair. Chevy has always been able to do what ford can't do without forced induction. Which is why the 427 COPO is a even race with the blown 427 cobra jet
Here's the deal, people like you will always find something. Oh, one is supercharged. The example I'll use ZL1 vs GT500, well the GT500 has a bigger blower/32 valves. The playing field is rarely ever equal. Second of all, what are you talking about a blown 427 Cobra Jet? The original Cobra Jet, the 427 version was not blown. The new Cobra Jet is running the 5.4L with the blower, and soon a 5.0 with the twin turbos. The 427 COPO is naturally aspirated, but the other two optional engines, the 327s are both supercharged. You're trying to swing an invisible argument in your favor, when you don't need to. We can agree to disagree. You can take a 35th Anniversary SLP over a Cobra all day long all you want. One is a factory car, the other is modified aftermarket, as those "supercharger and suspension" options were not parts you can get from a Chevy dealer and even have a warranty on them like on a regular SS. Between a regular SS and a Terminator, I'll take a Termi any time. Even between that supercharged SLP SS, I'll still take a Cobra any time. Between any 5th Gen v8, be it an L99 or the LS3, I'll take that over a Terminator any time. It's more refined, it drives better, almost as fast, and actually has an IRS that someone properly designed to function like it should. I'm far from a Ford fan boy, I buy what the best deal for me at the time is and what suites my needs. If the 1LE was out when I bought my GT, I might have gotten over my visibility and poor driving position issues and bought one, but all I had to decide between was a pre-FE4 SS and a GT. I've owned Infinitis, VWs, Chevys, Nissans, and 1 Ford, I'm far from a brand loyalist. If the new Mustang sucks and I can't fit in it, this would probably my last and only Ford. If the new Camaro fit me, I'll buy it. If Infiniti makes a RWD v8 coupe, I might go back to them. Either way, drive what makes you happy, and happy motoring