Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #323
SSNvMiner

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99
I sure appreciate all the information and the I knew nothing of this before reading this thread. I want to for not having one on all my other vehicles. Live-n-learn. . . I ordered an Apex CC today and our SS is not even scheduled to be built for a week or so... That just 'shows-to-go-ya' what creditable information can do. I am going to trailer her home and put it on before I start the break-in!!! Thanks again for all the info.

Oh ... I called Apex Motorsports late today and Paul answered the phone an hour after closing and was patient enough to answer all my questions and even was willing to fire up the system to take my order. Not wanting for him to go through the hassle, I just ordered online. But, I was impressed with the after hour CS. Thanks Apex
SSNvMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #324
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Question:

I have an L99 but have done and LS3 conversion for my cam. Do I continue to leave it hooked up as an L99 or do I hook it up as the LS3 and cap off the the valley cover on the driverside?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #325
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNvMiner View Post
I sure appreciate all the information and the I knew nothing of this before reading this thread. I want to for not having one on all my other vehicles. Live-n-learn. . . I ordered an Apex CC today and our SS is not even scheduled to be built for a week or so... That just 'shows-to-go-ya' what creditable information can do. I am going to trailer her home and put it on before I start the break-in!!! Thanks again for all the info.

Oh ... I called Apex Motorsports late today and Paul answered the phone an hour after closing and was patient enough to answer all my questions and even was willing to fire up the system to take my order. Not wanting for him to go through the hassle, I just ordered online. But, I was impressed with the after hour CS. Thanks Apex
Very happy to hear that. Thank you for your order and congrats on the new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Question:

I have an L99 but have done and LS3 conversion for my cam. Do I continue to leave it hooked up as an L99 or do I hook it up as the LS3 and cap off the the valley cover on the driverside?
Hook it up as an L99 and cap the LS3 valley cover vent. The LS3 only evacs 2/3rds of the motor leaving the entire drivers side valvetrain stagnant. The L99 gets a good cross flow flush through the entire engine.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #326
Apex Motorsports

This is from a 2013 ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco67 View Post
This is how much was in my apex catch can after 3500 kilometers..sure glad I put one on now.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #327
Apex Motorsports

Another 2013 ZL1 owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZL1 View Post
My catch-can was 3/4 full when I checked it today. I've put around 2,500 miles on it since the last time I emptied it. This crap would've been blown all through my intake manifold.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #328
Ventura 2015 1LE
Ventura 2015 1SS 1LE RS

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Wink Apex Motorsports Catch Can Instuctions Print-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodParis View Post
Chase and all,
Recieved my RX catch can on Friday. Installed it today. First, no instructions in the box other than a little slip of paper that said to watch the online video (shared in this thread) and/or go to RevExtreme and read the installation instructions. They were worthless, but I'd already watched the video a couple of times, so that was okay.

There were no hose clamps with the can. Is that normal? I noticed in the APEX installation instructions that they use hose clamps. Why would RX be any different?

Finally, there was a short piece of hose with a hard metal 90 degree bend at one end - a barb on the other. No mention of where/when/how to use this piece, but I used it since it made my hoses route a little better. As far as I know, it was just a piece of hose.

I'm concerned about no hose clamps and also the lack of detailed instructions other than to "watch the guy online" and the instructions provided by revextreme online were atrocious.

Should there be clamps on the hoses?

Thanks Rod
I tend to agree with Rod you guys should have instructions printed. It is a pain to go log-on pull up the website and download/print. When all you want to do is install per-paper. I understand it takes money in overhead and labor but Fedex, Staples, ie (Office Printing Shops) are fairly reasonable to print off a few instructions booklets..

As you know I am already bummed out because of my bracket and oil can do not match or align up.. in this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8010030

PM Sent to APEX as well..
Attached Images

Ventura 2015 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #329
Ventura 2015 1LE
Ventura 2015 1SS 1LE RS

Bingo more info that should be included in the Instrutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Very happy to hear that. Thank you for your order and congrats on the new ride.

Hook it up as an L99 and cap the LS3 valley cover vent. The LS3 only evacs 2/3rds of the motor leaving the entire drivers side valvetrain stagnant. The L99 gets a good cross flow flush through the entire engine.
APEX >>><<< Why not just make the LS3 conversion to your L99 setup all the time? Doesn't change or hurt anything..just more hose provieded by you guys.. Right or Wrong???

If your saying that as it sits now..(from reading in this thread).. the LS3 evac's ONLY 2/3rds of the engine while hooking up in the back near the driver back of the block will Evac more sludge my words..or in your words "leaving the entire drivers side valvetrain stagnant". The whole point is having a catch can to evac as much gunk out right???

That would simplfy about/delete 4 pages out of the "self-printed by customer instructions".

Suggest convert all LS3 to the L99 setup and print-out for the next customers wanting to buy the Catch Can. Just improving the whole process from the customer end ie "Suggestion Feedback"... that kinda feedback improves somethings tends too eliminate "blinders on" for a manufacture/vendor.

Last edited by Ventura 2015 1LE; 11-02-2014 at 03:32 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #330
Ventura 2015 1LE
Ventura 2015 1SS 1LE RS

Better yet why can't you pull dirty air from both PCV ports if you have the dual port can with no supercharger? The LS3 and L99 have the same connection ponts..just one is capped off..

Last edited by Ventura 2015 1LE; 11-02-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #331
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 2015 1LE View Post
PM Sent to APEX as well.
PM replied to. There appears to have been some sort of packaging error with your order. We will get in touch with you about fixing it first thing tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #332
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
So does this setup work properly for the LS3 or am I leaving stagnant the drivers side? I was going to order this but this question and the no instructions is bothering me a bit.
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #333
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnkathy View Post
So does this setup work properly for the LS3 or am I leaving stagnant the drivers side? I was going to order this but this question and the no instructions is bothering me a bit.
Yes, it functions exactly how the factory engineers designed it to function. That comment was made in the context of a heavily modified engine.

We provide extremely detailed instructions. They are 18 pages long and include large color photos. Because of the length we do not print them and put them in the box. We put a card in the box with a link to a PDF file. You can print them or simply pull them up on your phone.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #334
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
Ok thank you for clearing that up. I will be placing an order some time this week. I do feel though every manufacturer should provide paper instructions. There are a lot of old farts like me that just prefer it that way and not having to bother downloading anything. Then again I've built Pontiac race motors in my day and learned about cars at a young age at a top fuel race car shop called C&FbBauer in NY so I think I can get through a catch can install lolol.
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #335
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnkathy View Post
Ok thank you for clearing that up. I will be placing an order some time this week.
No problem. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #336
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
does anyone here have an elite catch can installed and has heard an air hissing noise coming from in or around the catch can. not too loud, with the hood closed it is only barely audible if you know what your listening for. iv had the can on for a few thousand miles now like this, oil pressure and oil level is fine through all kinds of driving so not sure if this is a problem.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex catch can, apex motorsports, catch can, elite engineering catch can, rx catch can