Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #337
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I have a Dillon 550B and a Dillon XL650. You won't save money by reloading... you will just get to shoot more. I figured it up one time and I can reload a .223 for around 17 cents a round. With boxes of Wolf and Brown Bear going for $4, it really isn't worth it to get into reloading because it will take quite some time to recoup the money you spent in equipment. That being said, with reloading you know the QC is high and you can come up with a pet load for any particular gun. I load 223, 9mm, 40, 10mm, and 308. Reloading gives me something to do in the winter as well when it is too cold outside to do anything else.

AR15.com has an equipment exchange where you can pick up brass relatively cheap. Do a search for reloading components, there are way too many places to list on here. Also, check out auctions in your area, specifically firearms related ones. You can usually find components there as well.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #338
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
The problem with Bear or Wolf ammo, and a common AR, is that you can wear the extractor out rather quickly on the steel cases. Also, QC isn't all that great, and in some ARs, not every round will work the action. Like my Armalite, it hates Wolf. Now my Saiga .223 will spit out everything with glee!

Reloading, after the initial cost of equipment, is usually cheaper then buying. It might be closer now then ever, but then again, all I've ever reloaded was .44mag and that was 15 years ago, lol. So, I could be out of the loop a bit.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #339
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
I have found that reloading is not much cheaper than buying ammo on sale. Wait until Cabela's puts it on sale and you can buy it very inexpensively.

Since this is my first post in here, daily carry is a Clock 19 and Ruger LCP. There are others for special circumstances, but these are my every day.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #340
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Because, up close, in police work, a 7.62 is just too much liability. Less chance of a 5.56 punching all the way through into someone else. Not that it can't happen, just less of a chance.

Also, now there are so many piston driven, or piston/impingement hybrids out, an AK is really outclassed IMHO. When compared, unmodified, the AR platform is more accurate (better sights), just as reliable (if maintained) and much more ergonomic. Of course, if all you need to do is spray as much lead as possible as fast as possible, and do it for cheap, then an AK still rules!
Also worth mentioning, the AR-15 can be had in 6.8 SPC now if you want it as well which solves the energy problem quite nicely giving the AR-15 a cartridge that has more punch than the old Soviet 7.62x39 at any range, which is more accurate than 5.56 NATO at distance, and which has a longer practical range than either.

My other argument would of course be that, past about 300 yards, the AK in 7.62 is virtually worthless which puts it at a disadvantage to even the 5.56 at range......the 6.8SPC just plain leaves the old Soviet 7.62 for dead in this respect. That may not mean much to some, but if you do intend to hunt, or if you are at war, a weapon that is all but useless much past the 300 yard mark, and which isn't exactly going to set the world on fire in the 200-300 yard range for that matter, has to be considered a liability.

No, the AK is well and truly a 'peasants rifle', although if a peasants rifle is what you need then it is the very best peasants rifle you can get. The AK is what it is and makes no apologies for it, and for that I respect the design. However, I am personally not a fan because, to be blunt, I trust my accuracy to get the job done too much to rely on an AK unless I know all work is going to be done at pretty short range.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #341
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Also worth mentioning, the AR-15 can be had in 6.8 SPC now if you want it as well which solves the energy problem quite nicely giving the AR-15 a cartridge that has more punch than the old Soviet 7.62x39 at any range, which is more accurate than 5.56 NATO at distance, and which has a longer practical range than either.

My other argument would of course be that, past about 300 yards, the AK in 7.62 is virtually worthless which puts it at a disadvantage to even the 5.56 at range......the 6.8SPC just plain leaves the old Soviet 7.62 for dead in this respect. That may not mean much to some, but if you do intend to hunt, or if you are at war, a weapon that is all but useless much past the 300 yard mark, and which isn't exactly going to set the world on fire in the 200-300 yard range for that matter, has to be considered a liability.

No, the AK is well and truly a 'peasants rifle', although if a peasants rifle is what you need then it is the very best peasants rifle you can get. The AK is what it is and makes no apologies for it, and for that I respect the design. However, I am personally not a fan because, to be blunt, I trust my accuracy to get the job done too much to rely on an AK unless I know all work is going to be done at pretty short range.

I have yet to play with a 6.8SPC, but you definitely have me curious now!!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #342
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
I have a Sig Sauer P226 40 S&W. My personal favorite. Anyone else out there have one? Looking to trade up to the tritium sights...any other recommendations?
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #343
blake-b

Rage, the only upgrades a gun needs are night sights and the owner to practice shooting, practice clearing malfunctions, practice loading in the dark with EMPTY mags, and for the owner to take a defensive pistol course.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #344
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
No prob bro...been there, done that. Citizens Police academy, firearms safety, pistol accuracy(@30 ft. I can blow the center out of a quarter sized bullseye)........been thru them all. Just curious if anyone else upgraded to the tritium?
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #345
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
I have yet to play with a 6.8SPC, but you definitely have me curious now!!
Oh yeah, it's the stuff. It really is like a sort of 7.62 NATO 'Junior' and absolutely smokes the com-bloc 7.62 cartridge in every conceivable aspect but cost.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #346
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Rage, the only upgrades a gun needs are night sights and the owner to practice shooting, practice clearing malfunctions, practice loading in the dark with EMPTY mags, and for the owner to take a defensive pistol course.
About a year ago I began shooting IDPA. This is a great way to learn how to shoot pistols under stress with adrenaline pumping. It is defensive pistol shooting and if you find a good local group they will teach you all along the way how to do it. Yes you will mess up the first night. Maybe drop your mag, forget how to clear a jam or forget to reload. Each course of fire will require at least one magazine change. You may fire weak side, on the move, sitting down, laying on the ground or even under a car, all at still or moving targets. It is amazing how much you learn and how after just a few times going you can control your pistol better under stress.

Here are a few videos of what it is like once a person gets very good and fast:

Here is someones first match. Watch how the safety officer helps him along:

I recommend anyone who owns a pistol to find a local chapter and try this. Having a gun that you don't practice with is irresponsible. Under stress you forget everything and you need to get how to control and use your firearm engrained in your head. http://www.idpa.com/

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #347
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
No prob bro...been there, done that. Citizens Police academy, firearms safety, pistol accuracy(@30 ft. I can blow the center out of a quarter sized bullseye)........been thru them all. Just curious if anyone else upgraded to the tritium?
You are ahead of the curve then. I have night sights on all my guns except for an M1A. There is no reason not to have them. If you have somewhere outdoors to shoot, go when it is low light (Not pitch black - you wouldn't be able to identify your target in that environment without a light anyway) and shoot your gun as it is now. Then, imagine how much easier and faster it would be to line up your sights if they glowed? If you want to "test" how it is, get some glow in the dark fingernail polish and put it on your sights. One dot on the front, one dot on each ear at the back. Charge them with a light and then shoot. If you don't like it, take it off. It should come off easily with any gun solvent and won't cause any permanent damage or markings.

Have you ever heard anyone say night sights were a waste of money? I haven't... in fact they are required on our duty pistols and for the front sight of our ARs. FBI statistics state 80% of shootings are in low light.

Today at noon, I am attending an exertion shooting course. Should be fun. Last we I attended a tactical considerations combat class. That was a blast. We started with dummy plastic guns, then went to airsoft and shot each other a lot and then we went live fire starting from a car. We only shot targets then of course.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #348
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Medieval Firearm w/watermelons!!!!

Last edited by Jay_LHD3; 09-27-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Better quality vid!
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #349
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Oh yeah, it's the stuff. It really is like a sort of 7.62 NATO 'Junior' and absolutely smokes the com-bloc 7.62 cartridge in every conceivable aspect but cost.
Nice...I need to find one to plink with!!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #350
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
If anyone is in the Vegas area Front Sight is having a killer deal on defensive shooting courses right now. $99 for their 3-4 day course and its good anytime.

Tags
camaro gun