Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #351
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
anybody think that maybe ford did cover all their bases and GM is playing right into there hand. Ford has stole alot of the thunder without even saying anything about 0-60, quarter mile and lap times.

now lets hope the GT500 is not the real deal. They made the boss 302 lap faster around laguna seca than alot of $$$ cars with it`s ancient horse and buggy rear axel so anything is possible.
Weight my friend, weight. For the exception of the vettes and perhaps the vipers, most "sportscar" these days are heavy, generally speaking. The 5.0, though not a 3100lbs sportscar, is significantly lighter than most and with a drivetrain that uses up all of the 8K rpm limit, it's no surprise that its a performer.

Here is a thought... please don't send the ninja's out for me... that would be very disappointing. BUT, I hope GM/Chevy is paying close attention to the Boss 302 manifold. GM has, quite frankly, the best high production heads in the LS7. Those heads just make BIG power. However, the LS7 manifold, though the best from the general for the LSx to date, is still limited to the same rpm range as its little siblings. A manifold, similar to the Boss 302, would WAKE UP these heads or even the LS3/L92's!!

My ultimate LSx N/A engine right now would be a high rpm (7500rpm min.) LS7 making 700-750hp crank on pump. (600rwhp+) I think to do this more consistently now we are all just waiting for the right intake manifold right now... everything else is practically sitting on the shelf.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #352
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
How about a good ol' Drag Race? Much like the Boss vs ZL1? That would make this fun for both camps!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #353
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
You have somewhat of a point but with regard to the Camaro V6 and SS, but why change much from what is clearly selling? If the customer surveys keep coming back with excellent overall grades, and people keep buying the Camaro over the Mustang, why change much so soon? Ford has been forced to make changes to attract a better % of sales back in their corner.

True it is a business, and they are still making us happy. I mean, you are all still driving Camaros right haha.

As long as they are making the sales they will let the current model ride as long as possible to see the most profit from it
Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #354
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Two cars: Rustang and Camaro
Two tracks: The ring and laguna seca
ONE DRIVER: THE STIG all out against the clock.

Best average time out of 5 laps wins.....problem solved!
Wins.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #355
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
OMG, God forbid you don't stand in line with the fanboys, you will get crushed.
I remember when I first got my 2010 and complained about the lack of soft touch on the dash and no power passenger seat!! I was killed by the fanboys then, Fast forward we now have softouch and a power passenger seat.

So if I say something negative on whats going on with the ZL1, I know what I'm talking about.

I WANT GM to florish and I WANT the ZL1 to be the best car out there. I planned on buying one however I will wait for all this to shake out. It's not looking too good for us right now. The NEED for that letter says 1,000 words.
-Bobby
Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #356
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.5SS View Post
Two cars: Rustang and Camaro
Two tracks: The ring and laguna seca
ONE DRIVER: THE STIG all out against the clock.

Best average time out of 5 laps wins.....problem solved!
Wins.
the stig vs chris rado

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-revealed.html
Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #357
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Was there not a suspension upgrade for the SS. A convertable. Now the ZL1 in a month or 2. Also it's the Aftermarket's darling.

IT'S A HUGE SUCCESS. What's your point again???
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #358
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by den318 View Post
My point is that Chevy has not done much to improve the Camaro since 2010. Ford came out with the 2011 5.0 to combat the Camaro and according to mostly everyone, it is a tiny bit faster car. Ford could have leave good enough alone...ie like Chevy. But for 2013, they make another update. New front and rear, HID standard, Recaro seats options, 4" lcd in the dash with apps. Track package with better brakes and suspension+ 420hp. What has Chevy done? Change the steering wheels and the interior a little bit. They need to do more with their bread and butter model (the SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
You have somewhat of a point but with regard to the Camaro V6 and SS, but why change much from what is clearly selling? If the customer surveys keep coming back with excellent overall grades, and people keep buying the Camaro over the Mustang, why change much so soon? Ford has been forced to make changes to attract a better % of sales back in their corner.
I think he has a good point. Chevy has a bigger enthusiast following than Ford, but I think Chevy pretty much has run in place when it comes to the Camaro SS. I've been disappointed that there seems to be more emphasis on making department store cars like the Neiman Marcus Edition than figuring out how to introduce a 3.73 or 3.91 gear ratio option for the SS, making the car more neutral handling, maybe introducing a freer-flowing exhaust, and focusing on extracting more power from the LS3. The business philosophy can't be "well, let's wait until sales drop off befor we consider improving the product." A successful business doesn't just rest on its laurels.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #359
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by den318 View Post
My point is that Chevy has not done much to improve the Camaro since 2010. Ford came out with the 2011 5.0 to combat the Camaro and according to mostly everyone, it is a tiny bit faster car. Ford could have leave good enough alone...ie like Chevy. But for 2013, they make another update. New front and rear, HID standard, Recaro seats options, 4" lcd in the dash with apps. Track package with better brakes and suspension+ 420hp. What has Chevy done? Change the steering wheels and the interior a little bit. They need to do more with their bread and butter model (the SS)

I don't think there really isn't a need to keep upgrading so soon. The cost to keep modifying the car and then pay for everything, would just be passed along to us the consumer. GM is trying it's best to stay competative in the market and keep a good selling car affordable. They did just upgrade the V6 engine, and that's the flag ship of the Camaro not the SS. Sales will back that statement up.

And Yes GM has comeback and introduced a new Camaro model, more HP, better suspension, beefer drivetrain, breaks and a few cosmetic upgrades.

GM has answered the call, and people are responding, good or bad.

And don't be surprised if we see a car called the Z28 make it's come back in the next year.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #360
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
.....wait a minute,...did I just hear Z28 mentioned??? ....And Away We Go!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #361
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
.....wait a minute,...did I just hear Z28 mentioned??? ....And Away We Go!!!

NOPE wasn't me.....
Old 11-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #362
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
NOPE wasn't me.....
you sir, have now got me thinking
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #363
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtman View Post
I'm having a hard time understand why GM would want to challenge the GT500 to a road race. Even if GM were to win that race which i'm not sure it will it's not the reason people buy this type of car.

These are muscle cars with a ton of power meant for the most part to tear it up in a straight line. This is how most people drive these cars anyways. When you see racing videos you always see quarter miles races at the track or a roll on the highway. In the end this is what people care about and brag about.

People are not buying these cars to go out and pull a fast and furious around town. So what this tells me is that GM is saying yeah the GT500 is faster in a straight line, but we might be faster on a road coarse and in the end even if the camaro wins on the road coarse the real bragging rights in america is in the HP and straight line performance.

This post isn't about bashing the camaro, but just trying to understand GM's thinking.

All along, Chevy have been saying this is their most advanced and highest performance Camaro and not just a simple fastest dragster. If just simply the fastest straightline Camaro, the COPO is your answer. Check back on all the threads on the ZL1. Track performance was one of the major goals from the beginning, hence we have been following their development at the 'ring, aerodynamics with CFD and wind tunnels. As I stated before, I can't see anyone buying a $60k+ ZL1 for just the straightline drag strip, when a modded SS (or a modded GT) would be a lot cheaper and faster.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #364
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Just so everyone knows...

Quote:
12) Camaro vs. — Please keep in mind that this is a Camaro forum. We like talking about cars in context of the Camaro. We respect a great number of diverse vehicles here, but what ultimately brings us together is the Camaro. If you are not here to discuss the Camaro in a respectful and polite manner, please refrain from posting.
Rules can be found here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/announcement.php?f=2

Closed Thread