Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #3879
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
It's weird that you want to go back in time with technology such as a push rod motor but freely bash an "ancient" solid rear axle? lol which side are you on because it's not technologies.
Ha. Considering the first overhead valve engine was designed by David Dunbar Buick in 1902, the same year that Henry Ford's legendary 999 race car was being propelled by an overhead camshaft engine...this argument always cracks me up.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #3880
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Not swearing to accuracy..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve

So, anyway. Egg or the Chicken? Nah. Back to Speculation of 2011 Mustang GT vs. 2010 Camaro SS.

It may cost $1200 for a set of cams, but cost less than $200 for gears on a Mustang with a 4v

It may cost $500 for a set of cams, but cost around $800 for a set of gears on Camaro SS

Minor differences in the long run, but from experience.......most Mustang owners are wanting that gear install before cams are even considered. And considering the popularity of supercharging a mustang, throwing a Vortech is a common practice to the point its not that bad. Hell, there is a Mustang Forum that has a Sticky on S/Cing for under $2k in parts via monitoring the massive classifieds section.
Each car and the owners, accordingly, have there own practices on reaching there goal. I wouldnt say its more difficult than the other.

Heck, I think I recall Ninjak saying he supercharged his becasue he was lazy. He seems content with the results and after monitoring some of his post; I dont take him for an idiot and question why didnt he get a Camaro instead. One is wise as the other.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign

Last edited by Jinx; 12-20-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #3881
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
The term cam only means cam plus all supporting mods. Usually from members on this site full exhaust, CAI, tune and a cam will get you 480rwhp. Some cam only cars have hit 500rwhp and the smaller cams around 460. Hell cai, exhaust and a tune will get you 400 at the wheels. Something thats nearly impossible for an NA 4.6.

Why lol...whats LOL is that a stock ls3 puts down more than a full bolt on and cams mustang .

You can say what you want and add it up however you want to make you sleep better. But the fact remains you can make 500 at the wheels with an NA LS3 without even removing the heads when you would be lucky to hit over 350 on the 4.6 without removing the heads.

Ahh okay, I thought you meant literally only a cam. Again, the 4.6 is made to do more with less, which is why it only takes a 05-10 gt to have around 320 at the wheels to be even with a camaro. Sometimes less if it has the 4.10 gears.

Apologies for going off topic on a 2010 as opposed to the 2011.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #3882
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Not swearing to accuracy..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve
Exactly. Click on the link to David Buick's page and it should tell you exactly when he invented that "ancient" overhead valve engine. That information is straight from his biography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
So, anyway. Egg or the Chicken? Nah. Back to Speculation of 2011 Mustang GT vs. 2010 Camaro SS.
I only threw that in there for people who always say how much older OHV engine design is. I'm with you on speculation. I want to see numbers.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #3883
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Exactly. Click on the link to David Buick's page and it should tell you exactly when he invented that "ancient" overhead valve engine. That information is straight from his biography.

Well like I said, I dont trust wiki. Just throwing it out there.

I only threw that in there for people who always say how much older OHV engine design is. I'm with you on speculation. I want to see numbers.

LOL. Im still using the P. Jones Edition Saleen 5.0L Mustang as a performance comparison. lol. A little less power, 3.73 but 5spd, and similar setup all around. Its a 12.9 car quoted, possibly capable of more like people around like to say, but a 12.9 car. With a 6spd and more power, I expect a tenth or two better on "average".

Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #3884
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
When did this turn into a modification discussion? everyone know he who has the most money will win in ANY CAR ON THE PLANET.. stock for stock 2011 Mustang GT vs 2011 Camaro SS, shouldn't that be the real debate? BONE Stock for BONE Stock just like how it was when it was the 10 camaro vs the 10 mustang, now that the mustang has more HP the rules have changed? how convinient.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #3885
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
When did this turn into a modification discussion? everyone know he who has the most money will win in ANY CAR ON THE PLANET.. stock for stock 2011 Mustang GT vs 2011 Camaro SS, shouldn't that be the real debate? BONE Stock for BONE Stock just like how it was when it was the 10 camaro vs the 10 mustang, now that the mustang has more HP the rules have changed? how convinient.
Not to start anything, but when the Camaro showed its vast superiority in the 1/4 mile, the debate became about who handled better lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #3886
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
I know. I tire of hearing the dollar for dollar, mod for mod, debate. Ill go there if someone wishes. But in the end proven pointless. But like you, I like this to stay 2011 Mustang GT vs. Camaro 2010 discussion.

We have 5.0L power numbers in and other odds and ends. Lets work with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Not to start anything, but when the Camaro showed its vast superiority in the 1/4 mile, the debate became about who handled better lol.
And, so regardless of what the other discussion said about a "2010" Mustang, this about a "2011" Mustang.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #3887
a_Username

Quote:
I can't disagree or agree at this time LOL

but the "messiah" of IRS and beast LS3 should not be taken down by a log axle stang with 100 less HP according to ALOT of our camaro5 users on here.. whether it be reality or not that is what is generally said about the camaro.
In the 1/4 mile and road courses, the Camaro showed its superiority over the 2010 GT. The only thing I don't like about comparing a Track Pack equipped Mustang to a base Camaro is the track pack does exactly what its name implies. It tunes and tweaks the suspension to deal with the difficulty of track racing, while the Camaro has to race on these tracks with a suspension that is suited to daily driving.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #3888
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Well, I like them both. I went with the Camaro this time around because I liked the looks better. I would definatly buy a stang again though. I know there are a lot of people on here that dog the stang, but in my opinion, we would not have the retro styled camaro we do today if ford did not take the bold step in the first place to bring back the retro styling on the mustang.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #3889
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I always gave it up to the camaro it's obviously faster... handling was actually a different story and you can't deny it wasn't what everyone expected. either way both cars are cool. but really stick to stock... mods open up a can of worms you can one up eachother for ever. best to compare factory.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #3890
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

bingo

Old 12-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #3891
a_Username

I got something. They'll have to strengthen, or possibly replace, the GT's current suspension in order for it to hold up to its new found power, which may in turn effect its handling abilities and may make it gain weight. It will also need to right tires to hold up to its power.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #3892
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Fan1 i'm getting a cold air intake.
Fan2 oh yea? i'm getting a super cold air intake!
Fan1 oh yea? i'm getting a cold air intake and cams!
Fan2 oh yea? i'm getting a cold air intake cams and long tubes!
Fan1 oh yea? i'm getting a supercharger!
Fan2 oh yea? i'm getting twin turbos!
Fan1 oh yea? i'm running 18 psi!
Fan2 oh yea i'm running 20 psi!
Fan1 oh yea?....
Fan1 well i'm going to run 22 psi!
Fan2 ??
Fan2....
Fan2 yo...
Fan1 yea?
Fan2 what happend?
Fan1 Blew my motor
Fan2 :(