Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
goodtry

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Update, the computer was fried, and GM did not cover the warranty. Car is now completely stock again. We will see what happens from here. Replacing my F250 King Ranch in a couple weeks and was looking at the GMC, but after shucking out a hundred grand on 3 Chevy's this year, will be putting my money back in Ford. Good luck guys.
goodtry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Why are you mad @ GM? They tell you in all of the documentation that you receive that if you modify, warranty is subject to scrutiny. It should be no surprise that they wouldn't cover this for you.

That's like asking GM to repair my engine if my camshaft ruins it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtry View Post
Update, the computer was fried, and GM did not cover the warranty. Car is now completely stock again. We will see what happens from here. Replacing my F250 King Ranch in a couple weeks and was looking at the GMC, but after shucking out a hundred grand on 3 Chevy's this year, will be putting my money back in Ford. Good luck guys.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
goodtry

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I'm not mad at GM, I have a choice. Dodge had the same thing in their paperwork when I purchased their Viper GTS. Funny how they stood behind the owners of these vehicles even when modified. I never had issues but was at one of the Viper Days events in Vegas and several of these cars suffered damage to engines and body pieces and guess what, they were taken care of by Chrysler. You are missing the BIG PICTURE HERE. The big three are in a war like every other business, and are building faster and faster cars, you see this right? Each has a special division specifically for the HP cars. They have the money to take care of these things, fact is these computers have issues or the dealer would not have said they are on back order. GM CAN take care of these issues, but chose not to. So I can choose whom I want to spend my money with. End of story.
goodtry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Two totally different situations I would think? YOU modified the ECU knowing the possible outcome. Were the Vipers ECU's modified and covered? What exactly does "suffered damage to engines" mean? So in your theory if I call Chrysler and ask them directly if my "ECU on my Viper dies due to an aftermarket tune" they will cover it?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
You can prob get a Dart.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Two totally different situations I would think? YOU modified the ECU knowing the possible outcome. Were the Vipers ECU's modified and covered? What exactly does "suffered damage to engines" mean? So in your theory if I call Chrysler and ask them directly if my "ECU on my Viper dies due to an aftermarket tune" they will cover it?
Damn are you not getting what goodtry told you? He is right. GM should have replaced the computer at no charge. If GM would not do it the dealer should have replaced it. It cost the dealer something {MAYBE} who knows but the 600 bucks was what he charged goodtry.He just spent over 100 grand with this dealer and more than likely he would buy there again but now it sounds like the dealer just pissed in his post toastes.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I would think if the ecm was damaged due to a tune, he should go back to his tuner for some kind of assistance with the replacement cost and not GM or the dealer. The dealer could have done a good will gesture and eaten the cost but its not to feasible see why they did not in this market as it stands today.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies and we say too much too soon but I do believe in being honest, and honestly he had a tune installed and it probably ruined his ecm. If your gonna void your factory warranty with a tune then you must be prepared for what can happen. Use a trusted tuner who will either give you a stand alone warranty or at least stand by his workmanship and you if things should happen to fail.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #36
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
If the tune was going to fry the ecu it would have happen before now. Just another example of GM crummy service and cheap low bid parts.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #37
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Damn are you not getting what goodtry told you? He is right. GM should have replaced the computer at no charge. If GM would not do it the dealer should have replaced it. It cost the dealer something {MAYBE} who knows but the 600 bucks was what he charged goodtry.He just spent over 100 grand with this dealer and more than likely he would buy there again but now it sounds like the dealer just pissed in his post toastes.
Kind of what I said. Dealer should have fought to correct it free of charge. They could easily cover the cost to keep you happy. I assume you are always at risk when you program the computer with something going wrong. Maybe GM had a valid reason on why they did not cover it. There could be known issue on incorrectly updated it that eventually fry's it. Fact of the matter is if you put a tune on a warranted car you risk them not covering stuff.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote