Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
I came up to a stick driver's worst nightmare today...
Hardly.

That's not even a minor inconvenience compared to, say, losing clutch function due to a busted cable or linkage or hydraulic leak. But you can even drive around those conditions if you're at least halfway good.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It's new for your model year, in the previous years you had to do it the old fashion way ... Skill

LOL

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
I came up to a stick driver's worst nightmare today... a dreaded stop sign on top of a huge incline! And of course, some jerk pulls up right behind me, leaving me no room for error... so I went for it, being quick off the clutch and on the gas, when this thing called "hill climb assist" came on, and I actually felt the car push me forward! How awesome! Any of you guys have any experiences with this too?
They had that on '67 Camaros with manuals too. It's called the emergency brake.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
You can't even pass your driving test in England without proving that you can perform a Hill start using the handbrake (e brake) and clutch control.

Obviously they don't do that over here.

I think they need to as it's a pretty basic skill and necessary to drive safely in a manual transmission car.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
silentownage001

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
You can't even pass your driving test in England without proving that you can perform a Hill start using the handbrake (e brake) and clutch control.
Actually if you take the test in an automatic then you cannot drive manual. If you take it in a manual you can drive both.
silentownage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Don't have hill assist and don't want it either
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
wish i had it, is there anyway to add it to a 2012? could it be as simple as a software change?
No you don't. It's actually made people turn away from buying a camaro. It's horribly designed in how it works. If you can't get going on a hill get an automatic.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #36
DLUX

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
People seem to give you a bit more room if you do the following.
while a car is approaching you take your foot off the brake a roll back a little, they tend to stop earlier and not ride up your a$$.

it works most of the time.

You have the luxury though of when you take your foot off the brake on a hill your car immediately starts to roll,ours doesn't. Takes 2sec, then you apply brakes again and leave off to show guy behind you again and it takes another 2sec. When you see car behind you approaching and want to show him the rollback, he'll almost already probly be behind you by the time the HSA unlocks.It's ridiculous.You have to experience it to appreciate this crap.Man I wish I didn't have to deal with this.
DLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #37
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
I encountered this yesterday when I brought my car home from the dealer and in my driveway which has a mild slope and I was like WTH it was a little annoying but it wasn't that bad,I have not driven a manual in 12yrs since my T/T driving days and the last car I had with manual was 15yrs ago,but the car is amazing just like all have been saying

Glad you love your Camaro! What is your favorite feature on it?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #38
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
I thank goodness I don't have this on my Camaro.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #39
Z28COP

Drives: 2021 Crush ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLUX View Post
So have I over the last 20 some years, unfortunately HSA has taken that skill and thrown it right out the window for us. I really can't believe there are people that actually appreciate HSA. I can't see how it would even help a beginner and I would never want to learn on a car with it. The minute you get into a car without it then I think you will be screwed.
You are so right! thought the same thing when I wondered how a lot of these idiots driving semis got there licenses..that was always a skill learning to drive 8, 10, 13 speed transmissions....now I see that semis come in automatic? now it all makes since....always dumbing down so that Everyone Gets An Award!
1-27-21 3400 TPW 2-8-21
2-04-21 3800 Built
2-26-21. 4300
3-08-21 Delivered
Z28COP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #40
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
No you don't. It's actually made people turn away from buying a camaro. It's horribly designed in how it works. If you can't get going on a hill get an automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLUX View Post
You have the luxury though of when you take your foot off the brake on a hill your car immediately starts to roll,ours doesn't. Takes 2sec, then you apply brakes again and leave off to show guy behind you again and it takes another 2sec. When you see car behind you approaching and want to show him the rollback, he'll almost already probly be behind you by the time the HSA unlocks.It's ridiculous.You have to experience it to appreciate this crap.Man I wish I didn't have to deal with this.

+1,000

Come back when you've stalled with the front or your car sticking out into oncoming traffic
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #41
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Idiot proofing vehicles. Kind of like the light that comes on in most cars/trucks now: "Hey stupid, I know you're too lazy to check your tires, but they're low on pressure...get your lazy ass out and fill them up.". I saw a Dodge Ram the other day going down the road with about 4lbs. of pressure in his passenger side front tire. In his defense, it is a far walk around to the other side of the truck to check before he left the house.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #42
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword5 View Post
Try doing that in a double bucket truck that is four times bigger than your car.
That's my apprentices problem