Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
tell your son to hold the clutch in farther when putting it in gear...

seriously tho... swap the axles and see what happens. and like Sux said, check your bolts. your suspension is loooooooose.

and ur gonna be in ATL... hmmm...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Stock half shaft? I'll bet (once again on something 22") that the teeth toward the end have spun. That or where the teeth go into the hub are shaved.

But the weird thing is the video sounds like gear mesh like something isn't syncing up. But you hear it at the hub so.... weird.

Just guesses
Gotta get to it next week. Probably start tonight till it get's dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
tell your son to hold the clutch in farther when putting it in gear...

seriously tho... swap the axles and see what happens. and like Sux said, check your bolts. your suspension is loooooooose.

and ur gonna be in ATL... hmmm...
I'll be there in the Jeep.

Nuther problem in the rear of this car. WTF is going on?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Ok. Doing some looking around I found a few other threads including this one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162157

And I'm thinking that, if this thread is accurate, I should be able to get this covered heavily modded or not......... Right?

Here's my problem, should I look first to make sure mine is missing the thrust washers or let the dealer do it. If it's not missing the washers then I gotta pay them.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ok. Doing some looking around I found a few other threads including this one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162157

And I'm thinking that, if this thread is accurate, I should be able to get this covered heavily modded or not......... Right?

Here's my problem, should I look first to make sure mine is missing the thrust washers or let the dealer do it. If it's not missing the washers then I gotta pay them.
Interesting find... I had not heard of that one...

Let them do the looking... if it's not it, then maybe they will tell you what's wrong... give you an estimate... then you can just go home and fix it...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I saw this one too.

09-04-95-001C OCT 10 Drivetrain - Noise Shifting Between Reverse & Drive

I'm still trying to get the actual TSB to come up. Haven't figured that out yet. And, looking for the one from the thread you posted.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/10/101002k7.html
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #34
garcmol

Found this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice17517 View Post
#09-04-95-001A: Clicking Type Noise from Rear of Vehicle When Shifting Between Reverse and Drive or on Hard Acceleration (Add Washer to Wheel Drive Shaft) - (Feb 19, 2010)

Subject:Clicking Type Noise From Rear of Vehicle When Shifting Between Reverse and Drive or on Hard Acceleration (Add Washer to Wheel Drive Shaft)

Models:2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint A9194726 (V8 Engine) or A9194723 (V6 Engine)

This bulletin is being revised to provide VIN breakpoint information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin 09-04-95-001 (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2404116&from=sm#ss1-2404116">Condition

Some customers may comment on a clicking type noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when shifting between reverse and drive or on a hard acceleration.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2404116&from=sm#ss2-2404116">Correction

Add a washer between the rear wheel drive shaft and the bearing hub assembly using the procedure listed below.
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly. Refer to Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub Replacement in SI.

<LI type=1>Install the washer (1) onto the rear wheel drive shaft (2) as shown above. <LI type=1>Install the rear wheel bearing and hub assembly. DO NOT re-use the wheel drive shaft nut - replace with a NEW nut only. Tighten
    Tighten the wheel drive shaft nut to 270N·m(199 lb ft).
  2. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 for the opposite side.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Interesting find... I had not heard of that one...

Let them do the looking... if it's not it, then maybe they will tell you what's wrong... give you an estimate... then you can just go home and fix it...
Just got off the phone. I figured it was worth a try to get it covered.

I asked him that even if the car was built missing the washers from the factory it won't be covered.

He said, and I quote, at this point your car could be missing the ENGINE and it's not covered.

I dont' know how some of the guys and gals dealers on here can be so lenient. My dealers here wont' even do my oil changes. True story. They flat out won't work on my car. Because of the mods.

Anyway, the nuts are almost 9.00 each and the washers are almost 6.00 each. They don't stock them so I have to order them.

I will not let them touch my car at this point. THey have made it clear to me that all they know is cookie cutter mechanics from the computer screen. They don't trust their own mechanics to look at my car so I definitely don't.

I'll take it apart and look and go from there.

Still might be as SUX said with the UCA.

I think had I not modded this car I could have gave it back as a lemon.

My problems have had nothing to do with the extra power.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #36
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I saw this one too.

09-04-95-001C OCT 10 Drivetrain - Noise Shifting Between Reverse & Drive

I'm still trying to get the actual TSB to come up. Haven't figured that out yet. And, looking for the one from the thread you posted.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/10/101002k7.html
TSB# 09-04-95-001B

Quote:
Found this one:
Is that at the hub or the diff?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
garcmol

It just calls for removing the rear bearing and hub, then putting the washer on. So, I guess the washer goes on the hub end.

Doing some more reading, make sure all the bolts on the half shaft are tight. Remember Kyle's were loose. Obviously more than yours since he was slinging grease everywhere.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I reallly think it is in the diff....when you watch the axle it moves near nothing, but then when put in drive it barely moves but the noise is the same so I am leaning toward the diff. The sound will travel from the diff through the axles.

let us know.....but really sound like its in the diff. No whine when driving down the road? Also, examine the coupler closely.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
It just calls for removing the rear bearing and hub, then putting the washer on. So, I guess the washer goes on the hub end.

Doing some more reading, make sure all the bolts on the half shaft are tight. Remember Kyle's were loose. Obviously more than yours since he was slinging grease everywhere.
Ya. I was thinking about Kyle last night under the car. I looked for the tell tale grease slinging. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I reallly think it is in the diff....when you watch the axle it moves near nothing, but then when put in drive it barely moves but the noise is the same so I am leaning toward the diff. The sound will travel from the diff through the axles.

let us know.....but really sound like its in the diff. No whine when driving down the road? Also, examine the coupler closely.
Thanks man.

NO whining when driving. Almost seems that a brake is on at times but that could just be the engine slowing the car.

i'll check it all out.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #40
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Well, after talking to two dealers now I have confirmed that I would be charged full mechanic hours wether diagnosing or fixing a non warranty issue. But in neither case will they work on it anyway because of the suspension mods. Even paying them.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #41
garcmol

Hmmmmmm.....

Are you really shopping for a limited slip diff and upgraded half shafts?

Let's see. Exhaust leak = full cam install; Click in rear = full LPE 9" rear with 1400hp half shafts......

j/k with ya
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Hmmmmmm.....

Are you really shopping for a limited slip diff and upgraded half shafts?

Let's see. Exhaust leak = full cam install; Click in rear = full LPE 9" rear with 1400hp half shafts......

j/k with ya

I"ll try and just get away with the thrust washers and bolts.

I've had a clunk in my rear end for a while that I actually hope is also this same problem.