Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
NDAWIND

Drives: 2011 1SS
[QUOTE='11 cyber grey vert;4358301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
These top issues are NOT a minority, seriously? Where is the voice of the membership that has no top issues?

I think I am one of the lucky ones.
I have only very very minor rub marks, and some wind noise from the back window @ 60 + MPH (no leaks)...knock on wood.

As I have posted before I will not have the minor top issues addressed at this time, since it seems the "fixes" create worse problems with top replacement.
Same here, no rub marks or leaks but have wind noise. I will admit though that the car is not driven that often due to having a company car for work commute. I really hope not to have issues since this car has so much sentimental value being my dad's before me, otherwise with all this drama I would probably have dumped it.
NDAWIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #30
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
[QUOTE=NDAWIND;4358824]
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post

Same here, no rub marks or leaks but have wind noise. I will admit though that the car is not driven that often due to having a company car for work commute. I really hope not to have issues since this car has so much sentimental value being my dad's before me, otherwise with all this drama I would probably have dumped it.

I have no leaks or wind noise but I do have the very small indentation marks by the windows. I have been to several car shows and every convertible that I have seen has them. I realize that there are many that I have not seen but I have to think this is common problem. Mine are not really bad yet and seeing all the issues the replacement tops are having I am just going to wait and see what happens with fixes for now. I love this car rub marks or no marks I have no intention of selling or trying to lemon law it. I have a lot of extended warranty coverage left so for now time is on my side.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
This is the very reason why people should not put out quotes or statements like this. Eventually it will come back to bite you in the ass. Stand by your words and make it right. That is all we ask. And to generalize that this is not a widespread problem is just dumb. Where are your facts. Those of us that have had problems are looking at other cars to see if in fact there is a problem. Most if not all have witnessed other cars some brand new with issues. Like I stated before my dealer dropped the top on 2 brand new 2012's for comparison with mine. Bow 5 broke on one and the other almost had a hole poke through. Now to say there is no issue and is not widespread. HA! If it isn't an issue why am I getting a new car. Same with others on here. They are doing buy backs so this car doesn't get the reputation as a Lemon.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #32
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
95birdible
Agreed.Although not all of us have experienced the severity of the problems that you or others have, the fact of the matter is that a problem exists with a large # of vert tops.I believe all vert tops have some sort of issue with them, obviously some being much worse than others.
GM needs to step up to the plate and correct this NOW!!!
Just imagine the poor soul that spends $70K for a ZL1 vert only to have the roof leak like a sieve, like some of the vert owners have experienced and not belittleling the people that spent $40K on theirs(myself included).We are all in this together regardless of model.
To those of you working on pushing GM for a permanent fix....PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND FORCE GM FOR A PERMANENT FIX!!!

Last edited by '11 cyber grey vert; 01-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #33
95birdible

I will say it again the top on my 95 Firebird looked better when I sold it in May of 2011 than my new 2012 Camaro top 5 weeks after I took delivery. That right there should say there is a definite problem. Some have good tops, some have horrible, and some are in the middle.
"Green Flash"
Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #34
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
This top thing is so annoying I now have to get a damn facebook page so I can continue to be a thorn in GM's side. Someone is gonna pay for that! I had a dream of being the last son of a bitch on the planet without one
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #36
95birdible

Way to go Spike!
"Green Flash"
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #37
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
if it makes any of you feel better my moms clk has rub marks and it was 67k...
Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
For the record my top doesn't leak on this car but did on the LT vert I had. I have yet to see a top without the rub marks.

Sample size is something I know a lot about having been a munitions inspector many years ago. Ya ain't got to look at em all to know the entire lot contains a defect. This top system is flawed and there ain't no money in the fix... if it were an easy fix a sponser would have released a kit already and be making bank.

Vert owners please continue to document the problem with your dealers and keep your ear to the ground here for a fix or a least a good work around. Do not let dealers practice on your car. This site is filled with replacement top horror storys.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #39
95birdible

When the dealer I took mine to for the rubs said "You must of put it down wet" I should have run the other way. Once I told him of the TSB's he changed his tune. With my new car I am only going to the selling dealer even though it is 80 miles away. Incompetence on a 40 thousand dollar piece of equipment is not called for.
"Green Flash"
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #40
NDAWIND

Drives: 2011 1SS
God it seems I can never escape drama with vehicles. I had a used 2006 Z06 before this and I was constantly worried about the sorta common valve train failure striking since it was out of warranty. Now Im worried about having top problems flare up; and since it was dad's before he passed im technically the second owner so I probably couldnt do lemon law or buy back.

Oh and on top of that I bought/still have a 2003 Ford PSD 6.0. The stress from my vehicles is going to kill me lol. Went to a buddy's for a cookout today and dropped the top. So far still okay, but less than 2k on the odo.
NDAWIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #41
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Folks...it doesn't help...and I don't like typing it....

But please remember you're issues are in the minority. It goes without saying that no manufacturer can produce something 100% flawless 100% of the time. It's a fact inherent to every mass-produced and even hand-built products.

Now, that does NOT discredit your issues, and I'm not trying to do so. When I read messages like the OP's...I just feel obligated to bring a little perspective to the conversation, and I think you're all highly intelligent people capable of seeing it.

You're all encouraged to press your dealers for repairs. At the moment...that's the best route that can be offered.
I'm prolly gonna get sent to the "principals office" for this... that's okay... I can use a break anyway ...

But dear Dragoneye- Moderator;

Dare I say, no, no, I won't say what I want too...

However; a more politically correct way, is to ask for your stats that show our issues are "the minority." I understand your position (to a point) of wanting to maintain peace and order and save face w GM while trying to balance with your forum members- I run into my own "political debates" at work and with TCC5...

But really? How can you justify saying that our problems are the minority? I've got to assume, after my 11 months of dealing with, researching and internet interactions (including outside C5) that your statements are of a "peace keeping" sort and not of any statistical value. If I'm incorrect, please (before penalizing me) list your sources- I can't even find a production numbes on total production 11' verts as it is, let alone a defective number ... other than the 9:1 ratio of defects to satisfactory cars posted here.

You're signature leads me to believe you have a ZL1 on order... before you downplay the anguish the MAJORITY of the vert owners are experiencing, please imagine for a moment, your new, anxiously awaited ZL1 develops a small rust mark on the roof... which grows and gets deeper, while GM says its "looking into it" eventually they throw a "patch" over it and its still there... on your $55k+ car... and while many other ZL1 owners explain the same...

Then, while venting about it to others experiencing the same issue, a non-ZL1 owner/moderator tells you- despite what the written facts support "your a minority." Not a happy feeling.

My point is... while I appreciate everything you and the other members of this site do for all Camaro owners,if there's an issue with a particular person or post, address it individually, if you have facts to support a claim that disputes the mass reports, please share. However, as a "Moderator" ppl are going to look to your opinion on a higher level than average posters, with all do respect to us who are fighting for our $45k purchases, don't post opinions as facts contradicting our issues... after 11 months, I've had 2 top replacements and still need masking tape on my top to prevent damage... and I've seen the vast majority of dealer cars with marks... that's not an opinion, that's a fact. And GM needs to be aware!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #42
95birdible

:thum bup::bo w::drinkin g::drinkin g:

Great post and pretty much what we have all been saying. Go back to the informal poll I did. People are still posting on it. I believe 75% or so of us have had one issue or another with the top. I'm to tired to dig through my files to look exactly at what they are.
Another thing is I have over 115 people on the Facebook site. Yes some are from here but others searched out Facebook to find a site that shows the problems we are having. That shows me that this is far more reaching than C5.

Ok I'm done. Goodnight
"Green Flash"