Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #29
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I would recommend to the guy in the video that he use a roll of 2- or 3-inch wide static cling "tape" instead of "fake spray paint" and get a buddy to help with the prank. That way, the static cling stuff just pulls right off and if you get caught in the act it doesn't take a whole bunch of explaining that the "paint" is not real and won't damage the car.

Plus, I would be inclined to defend someone's property (whether their parked like a D-bag or not) if I saw someone spraying anything onto that car's paint job. How would anyone know that the spray paint is fake? It sure looks real from a distance, and even up close until you run your fingers through it.

This prank could definitely be thought through and planned a little better.

But as for the point of the prank, I fully support it

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #30
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
So is double parking.
Not in a parking lot
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #31
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Agreed on the just don't double park part of this. If you don't want to risk damage to your car, don't park like a douchebag that acts like he's above everyone else. Parking between the lines is simple and proves you can drive. People who double park obviously can't keep it between the lines...This one lady, here in Durham parks over the line in a parking lot with limited spots EVERY day. I've written notes, but would never go so far as to vandalize. Still, I would laugh if someone did ding her door or spray paint the car...totally deserved. Loved when that one bystander asked if he had double parked, then laughed.

As far as people talking about kicking someones ass as the first response...perhaps. Problem is, too many people these days take the violent approach first, rather than examining what it is that THEY are doing that is pissing people off. Driving in the left lane, taking up multiple spots, handicapped parking, not speeding up to the flow of traffic...all of these are basic things you need to know about driving...yet some people think they are above the rules. Even speeding is one of those things. Some people bitch and moan about how the cop is shafting them, rather than admitting that they screwed up and were doing something stupid.

We had an ice storm here in NC last week. Several lights were out, yet NO-ONE was stopping at the lights that were dark like you are supposed to. I had one douchbag, then try to pass me on the right when I made a stop because he apparently didn't want to follow the traffic laws or common sense.

I feel that people that double park fall in to the same category as those other douchebags who think the laws and courtesies of driving don't matter...it's all about them...then act like it's not their problem
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #32
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Agreed on the just don't double park part of this. If you don't want to risk damage to your car, don't park like a douchebag that acts like he's above everyone else. Parking between the lines is simple and proves you can drive. People who double park obviously can't keep it between the lines...

As far as people talking about kicking someones ass as the first response...perhaps. Problem is, too many people these days take the violent approach first, rather than examining what it is that THEY are doing that is pissing people off. Driving in the left lane, taking up multiple spots, handicapped parking, not speeding up to the flow of traffic...all of these are basic things you need to know about driving...yet some people think they are above the rules. Even speeding is one of those things. Some people bitch and moan about how the cop is shafting them, rather than admitting that they screwed up and were doing something stupid.

We had an ice storm here in NC last week. Several lights were out, yet NO-ONE was stopping at the lights that were dark like you are supposed to. I had one douchbag, then try to pass me on the right when I made a stop because he apparently didn't want to follow the traffic laws or common sense.

I feel that people that double park fall in to the same category as those other douchebags who think the laws and courtesies of driving don't matter...it's all about them...then act like it's not their problem
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Agreed on the just don't double park part of this. If you don't want to risk damage to your car, don't park like a douchebag that acts like he's above everyone else. Parking between the lines is simple and proves you can drive. People who double park obviously can't keep it between the lines...This one lady, here in Durham parks over the line in a parking lot with limited spots EVERY day. I've written notes, but would never go so far as to vandalize. Still, I would laugh if someone did ding her door or spray paint the car...totally deserved. Loved when that one bystander asked if he had double parked, then laughed.

Steve wins!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #34
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
In Texas at Night, this prank could turn out badly for him.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Sec. 28.03. CRIMINAL MISCHIEF. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:
(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;
(2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; or
(3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner.
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why is it that everyone's first reaction is to draw a gun and shoot the guy? Even if it's real spray paint, do realize what it means to take a life?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
PT145SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Why is it that everyone's first reaction is to draw a gun and shoot the guy? Even if it's real spray paint, do realize what it means to take a life?

Not saying it should be. But the point is... it could be... and legally so.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Not only what it means to take a life, but what the consequences would be for taking that life. Based on the example given quoting law, there is no immediate threat to your life, which is the definition and qualification for defending your property. Is a car worth spending 20 years in prison?

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #38
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Steve wins!
In more ways than one. That guy that -tried- to pass on the right almost ended up in the ditch.

Though I miss my Camaro, my Audi is no slouch
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #39
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT145SS View Post
Not saying it should be. But the point is... it could be... and legally so.
Not everyone lives in Texas though
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #40
PT145SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
Not only what it means to take a life, but what the consequences would be for taking that life. Based on the example given quoting law, there is no immediate threat to your life, which is the definition and qualification for defending your property. Is a car worth spending 20 years in prison?

In Texas no threat of life needed, the law specifically says deadly force is justified to stop the imminent commission of criminal mischief at night (along with several other enumerated actions).

Look… I’m not an advocate for using deadly force over property except in very exceptional circumstances but it is possible that not everyone shares my reasonableness in this regard. On the flip side… and my original point is that, I would not encourage people in Texas to do this sort of thing (especially at night) regardless of how funny and deserving it is. There are bound to be people out there less reasonable than I who may take exception to it and I’m sure they would not realize it in the heat of the moment that it was removable paint. In their eyes it is criminal mischief at night as it is paint. Later learning that it is removable does not make the fact that they thought it was paint at the time they squeezed the trigger go away.

Do this in the projects in Chicago, New York, or DC where guns are not allowed!!! (sarcasm)
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #41
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Yes. If someone wants to stay alive in this world, maybe they shouldn't be spray painting cars at night.

I'm not saying I would kill someone over that, but then again, if I'm faced with seeing a person who is larger than me who is defacing my property, you really think it would be wise to walk up to them at night and say, "Excuse me, wait right here while I call the police," and expect that your life won't be in danger?

Yes, this is a prank. But by definition, pranks are intended to get a reaction out of people. If you don't like the potential reactions to the prank, don't perform the prank.

Which is why I recommended the alteration to the prank that I did. Placing a roll of static film tape that's the same width as the parking line would prompt a vehicle owner to ask questions first, whereas using a rattle can looks way too much like the real thing that assumptions will be made and compromising situations will be had.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #42
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
There is also the distinct possibility that these "pranks" are staged. That would eliminate any real threat of death or violence.