Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #29
neetan

Drives: IOM M6 2SS/RS
waiting impatiently on the rest of the diy....
neetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #30
Blownfogger540

Drives: 2013 ZL1 416
next on the list of mods
Blownfogger540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #31
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
I finally heard back from Advanced Keys on some of the minor inconsistencies I've been having (that I mentioned briefly in the first post), and will be adjusting my wiring in the next few days to hopefully resolve them. I was kind of holding off on posting more on the wiring because I didn't want to tell you all something that was incorrect and potentially dangerous to your Camaro (this is how your car starts, after all). If anyone knows for sure that they'll be all in on doing this mod and the only thing they're waiting for is the wiring, I'd recommend you purchase the items now as it takes a few weeks to ship. You're also free to figure it out via the supplied instructions they give you, especially if you have experience with car wiring. Otherwise, I thank you for your continued patience in waiting for the rest of the DIY!
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #32
TofuDragon

I just spent a good 8 hours on my Saturday trying to resolve the inconsistencies with the wiring; ended up right back where I started. Pretty frustrating. I'm still emailing the support staff at Advanced Keys to resolve it...

The short of it is, somehow I got the wiring so that everything "works" from an operational standpoint ... it just doesn't work exactly like it's supposed to. One issue is that I'm supposed to be able to push-button start from any ignition state, but if I turn on the ACC mode (the equivalent of turning your key one click), it won't crank with the button. So even though I've been driving around with this setup, it still bugs me that something with the wiring is not quite right.

I'm sure you guys would rather have a DIY that shows how to wire it up the right way, so when I am able to work it out with support (hopefully sooner rather than later), I'll get the DIY info up. Until then, if you are doing the install and want help on getting it to the working state I have mine in right now, just contact me.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #33
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Just a side note on, which may not have any impact, but has to do with the remote start, is that if you have the Evo-all installed, you can remote start the vehicle by hitting the lock button three times. I have the Evo-all installed on my DD (not a Camaro ), but it's an automatic. I'm curious to see if there is a procedure listed in the manual of the Evo-all to ensure the safety of a start of a manual car. Also wondering if there is another tech device that needs to be installed for the manual to work with the Evo-all. Needless to say, Subscribed.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #34
VII

Drives: Jeep
I can help

Hey Tofudragon.
I created this account specifically to help you guys out.
I install systems professionally and I can help you out with any issues that you are running into 24/7

My number is 619*754*3176
Call or text with any questions what so ever and I'll help you get this and any other electrical project wrapped up!
VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #35
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VII View Post
Hey Tofudragon.
I created this account specifically to help you guys out.
I install systems professionally and I can help you out with any issues that you are running into 24/7

My number is 619*754*3176
Call or text with any questions what so ever and I'll help you get this and any other electrical project wrapped up!
Thank you for the generous offer to help! I'll definitely take you up on it. It has been frustrating trying to resolve this through the company support due to the long turnaround time and things have just been dragging... ending up with with unfinished DIY.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #36
VII

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDragon View Post
Thank you for the generous offer to help! I'll definitely take you up on it. It has been frustrating trying to resolve this through the company support due to the long turnaround time and things have just been dragging... ending up with with unfinished DIY.
Yeah I completely understand . They're a low staffed company I don't think they do it as a full time income. I can help you out. Ask away!
VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #37
Pathogen

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro

So excited to see how this comes out!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #38
YoungMulaBaby

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VII View Post
Yeah I completely understand . They're a low staffed company I don't think they do it as a full time income. I can help you out. Ask away!
Hi! Would you mind if I could text you too? I recently bought advanced keys, but because I have a '14 Camaro, I was told an idatalink bypass interface, would be the better choice than the evo.
YoungMulaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #39
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
posting for documentation, may do this at some point
Sold: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower, Custom Camshaft, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, 680rw 93/750rw E85, Tuned by CSP
Sold: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #40
Hera SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Cool. Can't wait to see it all finished up.
Hera SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #41
ckosiek

Drives: Former owner 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Interested also, just don't like the idea of the cut key needing to be in the ignition.

Here is a possible professional looking solution (Knob Switch Key Cap) found on the Advanced Keys website:

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104S.html

The cap is listed on their accessories tab, 34.95.

Last edited by ckosiek; 09-16-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Found additional information, again.
ckosiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #42
TofuDragon

Finally received a useful response from the company. At this point though, it doesn't look like this current version of the kit will support all the advertised functionality for Camaros 100%. It's on my car which I drive everyday, but there are quirks I have to deal with*. Oh well, I can't go back now. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this kit to anyone here due to the answer they gave below. If anyone needs help on wiring to get it to the working state I have mine in, feel free to ask. Special thanks to VII for offering tips from his expansive background knowledge of wiring similar systems. I'll keep this thread around and just change the title to be a "how to connect a Fortin THAR-GM1v2 harness + EVO ALL bypass"...

"sorry for the delay we have to test your setup on a Camaro to confirm your issue. After analyze your scenario and it seems like there is a blind spot between our system and how GM vehicle Starting system works.

GM ignition system works off 2 wires: ACC and IGNITION unlike all other manufactures that uses 3: ACC, IGNITION and START. Normally vehicle is triggered to crank off START input where as GM vehicle works by sensing IGNITION while ACC drops OFF. When you starting is ACC state our system our system drops off ACC before IGNITION coil energizes and thous creating a race condition and ignition does not recognized by vehicle as a START trigger. We will look into future product update to include a 100ms delay for the ignition to come ON before drops out ACC.

Sorry for this inconvenience,
Advanced Keys"

*So for those interested, the quirks I have to deal with are:
- I can start from any push button state EXCEPT for the ACC on with GREEN led state (even though I should be able to)
- Sometimes the immobilizer light on the dash stays on even after successfully starting and driving away. Usually happens if I drive for awhile, stop and shut off, then start again within a few seconds.
- The stock alarm in the Camaro goes off sometimes because the system doesn't disable it before I open the door.
- I have to hold the unlock button on the fob for 6+ seconds before the trunk pops.

Honestly though, other than those quirks (mainly the first one that they talked about in their response), it's still working and reliable. Maybe when they update their kit or other companies release better kits, I'll update it all again. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up and for the lengthy delays.