Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #29
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
ok, umm relocated, modified, same difference. technically shouldnt be able to pass CARB, since its not in factory location.
Airbox doesn't have to be in the same location to pass inspection. (Cat's have to be in the factory location)

There is a carbon filter in the airbox that "must" be retained, but companies are getting CARB #'s by attaching new products to a similar product that already have the exemption or #.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
well to me factory means untouched. but then again thats just me. but if they allow it then thats shocking. they should start allowing long tubes too. hell theres still cats. theyre just "relocated." same thing can be said about that. make aftermarket replacement cats that can get CARB, then use that to make a nice long tube kit and say "these are carb approved cats, just RELOCATED" your using the system against themselves. lol.

honestly i dont care, like ive said before. SMOG should be. "if it blows clean, you pass" who cares about what part you have. well as long as u have cats of course. a car w/o cats that has LT's and a very loud exhaust system, sounds like crap. got to atleast keep cats. and i dont mean furry ones w/ 4 legs that go meow. lol
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
that's all in the driver. have one driver in 1 car and John Force in the Other and c who will win?

should have the same unbiased driver drive the crap out of both cars down the 1320 and c the outcome.

so KB modifies the stock airbox? I could swear that in order to achieve a CARB certification, the unit must retain Stock Air Intake System. like the Whipple and Maggies do.

and plus that doesnt say much cuz all someone needs to do is make a cold air kit that goes into the bumper.
I keep hearing the carbon filter just needs to be retained and functioning. I still haven't seen what it looks like or it's orientation in the OEM air box, but it seems it shouldn't be a problem with what KB's doing. We'll find out after they do or don't get a CARB number.

Quote:
ok, umm relocated, modified, same difference. technically shouldnt be able to pass CARB, since its not in factory location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Airbox doesn't have to be in the same location to pass inspection. (Cat's have to be in the factory location)

There is a carbon filter in the airbox that "must" be retained, but companies are getting CARB #'s by attaching new products to a similar product that already have the exemption or #.
Is this fact or speculation? I'm sure we'll find out soon if nothing else. It makes sense since it should be a one-way system, no? I suppose it's just suppose to trap hydrocarbons from leaking from the engine out of the intake? Please edumacate me

Quote:
well to me factory means untouched. but then again thats just me. but if they allow it then thats shocking. they should start allowing long tubes too. hell theres still cats. theyre just "relocated." same thing can be said about that. make aftermarket replacement cats that can get CARB, then use that to make a nice long tube kit and say "these are carb approved cats, just RELOCATED" your using the system against themselves. lol.

honestly i dont care, like ive said before. SMOG should be. "if it blows clean, you pass" who cares about what part you have. well as long as u have cats of course. a car w/o cats that has LT's and a very loud exhaust system, sounds like crap. got to atleast keep cats. and i dont mean furry ones w/ 4 legs that go meow. lol
You'll never see LTs legal because moving the cats' effect their lightoff. They're so close to the exhaust ports in order to reach their operating temperature as soon as possible and in order to do that, exhaust heat needs to be retained enough to remain hot enough for the cats' to do their thing. LTs and moving cats' further from the ports would enable the tubes to bleed-off the heat too much. I measured exhaust temperature at the ports and at the cats' (with LTs and high-flow ceramic cats') and the difference was several hundred degrees. I don't recall the exact numbers, but there was a huge difference.

LTs/cat' placement is totally different than relocating an air box. The air box is passive, unlike catalytic converters.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #32
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
You'll never see LTs legal because moving the cats' effect their lightoff. They're so close to the exhaust ports in order to reach their operating temperature as soon as possible and in order to do that, exhaust heat needs to be retained enough to remain hot enough for the cats' to do their thing. LTs and moving cats' further from the ports would enable the tubes to bleed-off the heat too much. I measured exhaust temperature at the ports and at the cats' (with LTs and high-flow ceramic cats') and the difference was several hundred degrees. I don't recall the exact numbers, but there was a huge difference.

LTs/cat' placement is totally different than relocating an air box. The air box is passive, unlike catalytic converters.
one can always dream
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #34
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
according to Whipple, is coming soon, since 2009. so there is really no comparing right now, really this is a joke.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #35
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I was working with an aftermarket company during the R&D phase for their exhaust and CAI systems last year when the Camaro first came out. They were going to try to get their CAI added to an exsisting C.A.R.B.# but the weren't sure if they could do so because of the carbon filter that is affixed to the top of the OEM box. They still haven't released either of their systems (as far as I know).

The carbon filter is the important part of the OEM box. It is supposed to keep fuel from exiting the TB and hitting the ground or going into the air.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I was working with an aftermarket company during the R&D phase for their exhaust and CAI systems last year when the Camaro first came out. They were going to try to get their CAI added to an exsisting C.A.R.B.# but the weren't sure if they could do so because of the carbon filter that is affixed to the top of the OEM box. They still haven't released either of their systems (as far as I know).

The carbon filter is the important part of the OEM box. It is supposed to keep fuel from exiting the TB and hitting the ground or going into the air.
The carbon trap filter is the reason why 99% of the CAI system will never truely be 50 state legal
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #37
MARZ

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
according to Whipple, is coming soon, since 2009. so there is really no comparing right now, really this is a joke.
I see where you're coming from, but I understand Whipple's stance, too. Whipple's front-entry setup and accompanying hardware (jackshaft, etc) is, presumably, all-new to them. Please keep in mind that Whipple isn't slapping one of their GT500 kits onto the Camaro as is the case with some other companies (not that there's anything wrong with that). They've designed an all-new system that required an extensive amount of design engineering, validation, testing, etc. You can rest assured that they won't release the kit until they're 100% satisfied with it and the calibration.

Just a little while longer. It's not as if Whipple is some new, upstart company; their name is known throughout the industry and their compressors make gobs of proven power and torque -- there's no denying that. I have no doubt in my mind that their Camaro kit will live up to the Whipple name.
MARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #38
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZ View Post
Just a little while longer. It's not as if Whipple is some new, upstart company; their name is known throughout the industry and their compressors make gobs of proven power and torque -- there's no denying that. I have no doubt in my mind that their Camaro kit will live up to the Whipple name.
I would agree with that statement
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #39
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARZ View Post
I see where you're coming from, but I understand Whipple's stance, too. Whipple's front-entry setup and accompanying hardware (jackshaft, etc) is, presumably, all-new to them. Please keep in mind that Whipple isn't slapping one of their GT500 kits onto the Camaro as is the case with some other companies (not that there's anything wrong with that). They've designed an all-new system that required an extensive amount of design engineering, validation, testing, etc. You can rest assured that they won't release the kit until they're 100% satisfied with it and the calibration.

Well I'm not going to argue with your statement, however one can only wonder as to why so long of a wait, whipple seams to be pushing the date of release back every month since early 2010, I too uderstand that this kit is a new redesign and they are working hard to make it the best s/c in the market. perhaps I'm being impatient but if the kit is just not going to be available I'm just going to get another unit,
Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #40
Mike@KB

Drives: 775HP 2005 KBGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
I have had a TVS for almost a year.. if I were to buy a S/C right now, it would be the KB.
We appreciate that!
Mike@KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #41
MARZ

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Well I'm not going to argue with your statement, however one can only wonder as to why so long of a wait, whipple seams to be pushing the date of release back every month since early 2010, I too uderstand that this kit is a new redesign and they are working hard to make it the best s/c in the market. perhaps I'm being impatient but if the kit is just not going to be available I'm just going to get another unit,
I'm not going to argue with your statement ( ) as I agree with you whole-heatedly. I think Whipple felt immense pressure as the TVS guys have been producing incredible numbers and KB has a sizable share in the 5th Gen Camaro world now. In hindsight, Whipple should have waited until their kits were actually ready before quoting release dates. Once their kits are released, though, I'm sure everyone will forget about how long it took for them to come to market.
MARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #42
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
[QUOTE=MARZ;2130980]
I think Whipple felt immense pressure as the TVS guys have been producing incredible numbers and KB has a sizable share in the 5th Gen Camaro world now.

Sizable market share? What do you estimate KB's share to be? They seem to be few and far between to me. Maybe I've missed a few?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote