Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
TheBonfiggy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Wow I got pulled over doing 99 in a 40 and got off with just a license suspension and a $120 fine. The fact that they sent you to jail is ridiculous.
TheBonfiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Great article!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #31
ZL One

Drives: '12 ZL1 M6 IOM (1 of 107) #1252
I only drive to the grocery store and church on Sunday.
ZL One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #32
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
The toll roads in northern Virginia are just as big of a scam/racket.
Can confirm, paid $12 to drive them, $6 there $6 back. i77 cops everywhere.
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I have a friend the lives in Lynchburg. I will be very careful next time I go to see him. now I know why everyone drove so slow there as I passed everyone in my V6 fourth gen.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #34
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I live in VA and read this article last night. I'm a faithful Jalopnik reader and I was so irritated by the story that I wrote my VA state representative telling him that I think jail time for reckless driving is excessive and it should be changed. To put things in perspective, driving faster than 80 no matter what is reckless driving and there are several highways with 70 mph limits. So that means driving 11 mph over the posted limit on those roads could get you a weekend in jail.

Everyone who lives in VA needs to write their state representatives. I know I've seen plenty of speeding/reckless driving stories in the Mid Atlantic sub forum here.

I'm not excusing Patrick George's behavior. He should have been heavily fined and had his license suspended but jail time is cruel and unusual punishment.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #35
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
I just got nailed in June on I81 in my Silverado towing an 8*10 trailer! My cruise control was set at 77 it was a 70 mph zone. The officer said I was doing 82 he would drop it to 80 so I didn't get a reckless. Talk about a load of bull it was 2:30 am and I was on my way to Nashville TN my oldest daughter was accepted into Med School I was towing her belongings there. I live in VA Beach never got a ticket here for 7 over. The west side of the state has a lot of ticket happy cops which actually hurts that area. It's beautiful there but you have to tread very lightly most of the counties it's their major source of revenue.
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #36
Botally Tone

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray ZL1
Never been to VA but doesn't sound like a place I am going to visit.

Sounds like the car he drove may have been slightly modified. He mentioned hearing the supercharger wine and you can't hear it wine on the stock form of the car.
Botally Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
DrDJ

Drives: 2013 ZL1 White A6
His car may have been modded, but there is a supercharger whine at high RPM, though certainly nothing like when you throw on an intake.

But this story was crazy, reckless driving at 80 miles per hour is insane. That's local government working the system pretty hard. Does make me think twice about hitting 100+ anywhere. Jail time would be an interesting experience though best avoided
DrDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #38
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
I live in VA and read this article last night. I'm a faithful Jalopnik reader and I was so irritated by the story that I wrote my VA state representative telling him that I think jail time for reckless driving is excessive and it should be changed. To put things in perspective, driving faster than 80 no matter what is reckless driving and there are several highways with 70 mph limits. So that means driving 11 mph over the posted limit on those roads could get you a weekend in jail.

Everyone who lives in VA needs to write their state representatives. I know I've seen plenty of speeding/reckless driving stories in the Mid Atlantic sub forum here.

I'm not excusing Patrick George's behavior. He should have been heavily fined and had his license suspended but jail time is cruel and unusual punishment.
Good job. The only way to change it is to speak up.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #39
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botally Tone View Post
Never been to VA but doesn't sound like a place I am going to visit.

Sounds like the car he drove may have been slightly modified. He mentioned hearing the supercharger wine and you can't hear it wine on the stock form of the car.
You get the whine on a stock car. I guess it's more of a whistle.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #40
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festival #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post

GREAT IDEA! I'm doing this as well!

Dan
Z/28Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #41
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
The State of Virginia and the Judge that sent this man to jail for speeding should be ashamed!!! While I do not condone excessive speeding the Punishment Severely Outweighed the Crime in this Scenario!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #42
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
While I don't agree with sending someone to jail because they went "slightly" over the posted speed limit, I don't understand drivers driving recklessly then crying foul. We have some of the most beautiful highways in America here. And for much of I-81, the posted speed is 70. Much of that road is winding, mountain roads where going much faster than 70 would be reckless. Maybe attempt to drive the speed limit or at least no faster than the line of traffic permits you to safely drive. Try enjoying the gorgeous scenery we have here that is possibly the most awesome scenery east of the Mississippi.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote