Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #29
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_thunder View Post
If I remember correctly, yes, swapping the factory X-pipe with an H-Pipe does replace the raspiness with deep tone (like how the Mustangs do) and takes the noise down a decibel or two in the cabin.

The problem is that it doesn't quiet it nearly as much as the X, and in some cases, I've seen instances where it actually increases drone.
Its so weird to me to think that just going from a h to an x pipe makes a difference. So I'm kind of confused you are saying only in some cases a H pipe can increase drone when added?

My plan would be to add an H pipe to the stock NPP but add it up near the front before the secondary cats. What I have heard is supposedly the issue is that the H pipe allows excess pressure spikes, that supposedly cause the raspy poppy noise, to balance out between the 2 banks.

The first thing I think I need to figure out is ensure that the noise I hate is what everyone else is describing as rasp. To me its the most annoying, unrefined, poppy, ricery, fartty poppy, fart can exhaust noise. You hear it on ever single muffler deleted/straight piped lifted truck around here too.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Its so weird to me to think that just going from a h to an x pipe makes a difference. So I'm kind of confused you are saying only in some cases a H pipe can increase drone when added?

My plan would be to add an H pipe to the stock NPP but add it up near the front before the secondary cats. What I have heard is supposedly the issue is that the H pipe allows excess pressure spikes, that supposedly cause the raspy poppy noise, to balance out between the 2 banks.

The first thing I think I need to figure out is ensure that the noise I hate is what everyone else is describing as rasp. To me its the most annoying, unrefined, poppy, ricery, fartty poppy, fart can exhaust noise. You hear it on ever single muffler deleted/straight piped lifted truck around here too.
Yes, both help to regulate exhaust to help scavenge the gases from the cylinders and create better flow. However, one is simply better than the other in areas.

X-Pipes are good at exhaust gas scavenging by forcing the exhaust from each cylinder to converge to a point and speed up flow. And while it reduces cabin noise, it also increases high-pitched sounds. H-Pipes are good for equalizing the exhaust pulses, but aren't very good at scavenging.

What I was referring to earlier was with a friend's build. He replaced his X with a H-pipe in his sixth-gen that had a Stainless Works catback system, and it added some noticeable drone. However, I believe that had more to do with the diameter of his pipes more than anything.

"Rasp" refers to the annoying high-pitched screaming that comes from the exotics and supercars that cause crackles, pops, burbling etc. So yes, you've got that right.

From a personal standpoint, I honestly could not stand the stock exhaust for that crazy-sounding stuff, which is why I went with MBRP. I initially planned on replacing the factory X with a resonated one, but since the axlebacks I have already come with helmholtz ressies, I decided to leave it be.

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #31
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_thunder View Post
Yes, both help to regulate exhaust to help scavenge the gases from the cylinders and create better flow. However, one is simply better than the other in areas.

X-Pipes are good at exhaust gas scavenging by forcing the exhaust from each cylinder to converge to a point and speed up flow. And while it reduces cabin noise, it also increases high-pitched sounds. H-Pipes are good for equalizing the exhaust pulses, but aren't very good at scavenging.

What I was referring to earlier was with a friend's build. He replaced his X with a H-pipe in his sixth-gen that had a Stainless Works catback system, and it added some noticeable drone. However, I believe that had more to do with the diameter of his pipes more than anything.

"Rasp" refers to the annoying high-pitched screaming that comes from the exotics and supercars that cause crackles, pops, burbling etc. So yes, you've got that right.

From a personal standpoint, I honestly could not stand the stock exhaust for that crazy-sounding stuff, which is why I went with MBRP. I initially planned on replacing the factory X with a resonated one, but since the axlebacks I have already come with helmholtz ressies, I decided to leave it be.
What do you think about putting a H pipe up say maybe right after the primary cats? Someone did this on the CTSV forums and it supposedly cut out all the rasp? I guess I would still leave the rest of the stock exhaust intact behind it so I would leave the X pipe and have a H and and X pipe.

Might be a dumb idea but to just test the concept somewhat I was trying to find some small diameter pipe or maybe silicone tubing and connect that to the #2 O2 sensor from bank to bank? You think that would do anything? I think the O2 sensor threads are M18, I was trying to find a M18 barb fitting and get some silicone tubing to connect?

They claimed this worked by "balancing high pressure spikes" what do you think?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:53 AM   #32
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
you could try 3/4 copper water pipe, don't think it will do much, I personally highly question that a H pipe can remove all rasp.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #33
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
you could try 3/4 copper water pipe, don't think it will do much, I personally highly question that a H pipe can remove all rasp.
I am very skeptical as well. Biggest reason is that if the design team could have removed it easily and cheaply enough, I think they would have. It seems like they knew the cats would attenuate the sound enough it wouldn't matter. I wonder if I could take the stock downpipes back off and put something in where the cats were to attenuate the sound? I feel like packing wouldn't make a difference.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #34
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
My mustang has a custom built exhaust. First and h-pipe killed alot of the signature coyote rasp sound.
Then the shop measured the way the pipes shake and added 2 resonators midway to the exhaust and h-pipe.
Sounds like an old school V8 like the amg 6.3.

The thing Is, the mustang has the cross over right after the cats when the pipes converge.
The Camaro has the cross over at the end of the exhaust system so all that vibrating straight pipe is ocilating the rasp.
I dont know why Chevy did that, maybe packaging purposes?

My best bet is for resonators where the secondary cats are, and an h where the factory x is.
I kinda got used to having these 2 cars sounding different, I have an h pipe laying around but idk if I want to take away the camaros Nascar sound at higher revs.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #35
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
My mustang has a custom built exhaust. First and h-pipe killed alot of the signature coyote rasp sound.
Then the shop measured the way the pipes shake and added 2 resonators midway to the exhaust and h-pipe.
Sounds like an old school V8 like the amg 6.3.

The thing Is, the mustang has the cross over right after the cats when the pipes converge.
The Camaro has the cross over at the end of the exhaust system so all that vibrating straight pipe is ocilating the rasp.
I dont know why Chevy did that, maybe packaging purposes?

My best bet is for resonators where the secondary cats are, and an h where the factory x is.
I kinda got used to having these 2 cars sounding different, I have an h pipe laying around but idk if I want to take away the camaros Nascar sound at higher revs.
I agree, they should have put the X-pipe after the cats....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #36
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I am very skeptical as well. Biggest reason is that if the design team could have removed it easily and cheaply enough, I think they would have. It seems like they knew the cats would attenuate the sound enough it wouldn't matter. I wonder if I could take the stock downpipes back off and put something in where the cats were to attenuate the sound? I feel like packing wouldn't make a difference.

Hi-flow cats are a good resonator..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #37
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
TTT for all of the new Camaro owners.

Any updated information or is the 2023 NPP the same? I think this is awesome.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:03 PM   #38
cmitchell17

I don't know this 100% sure but pretty sure everything is exactly the same including the NPP and muffler.

I added the magnaflow oval muffler with the built in x pipe with perforations and packing. I welded the maganflow in place of the factory "x" pipe. It does attenuate the loud spikes very well so no more obnoxious kid like startup and WOT with the NPP valves open. However, it attenuates all the time at all the frequencies, which means idle too. So now it kind of sounds like a old POS car with a rusty muffler at idle or like you backed your tailpipe end into the water and it bubbling and muffled. I think the tradeoff for getting rid of the obnoxiousness was probably worth it. I need to listen to it from the outside when someone else is driving it to really be able to tell how it sounds.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:54 PM   #39
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
TTT for all of the new Camaro owners.

Any updated information or is the 2023 NPP the same? I think this is awesome.
NPP hasn't changed...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote