Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #29
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Can you please explain why its bad?

I had my car tuned and still have the bucking going on, my tuner is going to do some street tuning to try and fix it
Bump for an answer

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #30
iwanttogofastNY

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
Bump
Mods: American Racing Headers & Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Pfadt Front/Rear Sway Bars, Stealth Bulbs, AAC LED bowtie, AAC Concept LED Side-markers ABM/Tinted, 20% Tints, Chuck COW Tune, MGW shifter (blue with white racing stripes).

Coming Soon: 4:10 Gears?
iwanttogofastNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #31
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Bump for an answer
The MAF signal is probably the single most important of all the sensors connected to the computer.

The air that passes by the MAF should be smooth, there should be no turbulence, and should be consistent throughout the pipe, meaning more air flow should not hug one side of the pipe missing the sensor.

Mass air Meters need to have several inches of pipe before and after the sensor to produce clean smooth readings.

Mass Air Meters are extremely sensitive and will measure turbulence as air flow when it may be more or less than actual air flow.

The MAF signal is directly responsible for Selecting the appropriate injector pulse width and Timing, calculating torque, and engine load.

If the signal is erratic then timing and injector pulse width is erratic causing what guys call bucking.

When I ran my Cold Air Test I reported this to a small extent.

Also CAIs that have high Fuel Trims will also select wrong injector pulse width and timing, and load values and calculate torque wrong, especially important for A6 Cars.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #32
Levi_Engle

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
But the Vararam doesn't require a tune IF??
Magnaflow Competition Series Axle-Back, Vararam Air Intake, Black bow ties, tinted tailights and side lights and reverse lights, Blacked out head lights, brushed super sport fuel door, blacked out SS logos front and rear. Boss 339 Black Rims with Red Bezel. Next: American Racing Headers, Vengeance Stage III Cam. Red halos
Last: Vortech V-7ysi Supercharger, Body kit
Levi_Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #33
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Ok OP.....Maybe I missed it but what is the solution to this issue YOU have brought to OUR attention?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #34
Jeanius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The MAF signal is probably the single most important of all the sensors connected to the computer.

The air that passes by the MAF should be smooth, there should be no turbulence, and should be consistent throughout the pipe, meaning more air flow should not hug one side of the pipe missing the sensor.

Mass air Meters need to have several inches of pipe before and after the sensor to produce clean smooth readings.

Mass Air Meters are extremely sensitive and will measure turbulence as air flow when it may be more or less than actual air flow.

The MAF signal is directly responsible for Selecting the appropriate injector pulse width and Timing, calculating torque, and engine load.

If the signal is erratic then timing and injector pulse width is erratic causing what guys call bucking.

Also CAIs that have high Fuel Trims will also select wrong injector pulse width and timing, and load values and calculate torque wrong, especially important for A6 Cars.

Ted.
As always Ted, Thanks for your help!

Can the "bucking" cause damage?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #35
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
As always Ted, Thanks for your help!

Can the "bucking" cause damage?
Your Welcome.

Yes it Shakes your Brain and drives you crazy.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #36
Jeanius

Quote:
Your Welcome.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #37
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
There is really no such thing as a "No Tune Intake" Anytime you are changing the flow characteristics of your intake tract it is going to throw your MAF Calibration off.

Just some will give smoother MAF readings then others (Has nothing to do with the tune)
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:

Ted.
Ted,
I just ordered a Cold Air Industries cai based on your test. These problems that everyone is talking about, is this on all CAI or just select ones, will I notice any problems with this intake. Thanks John
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #39
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Your Welcome.

Ted, do you beleive this MAF issue to be present on the Vararam ? I know you have seen and tested them. What are your thoughts on it?
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #40
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
With a cold air intake, and a hand held tuner like a Predator, what would you look at in the diagnostic data while it is idling to see if your MAF readings are good?

And then if a bit out of whack, is there any of the adjustable items a user could tinker with - or is that done strictly through custom tuning?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Ted,
I just ordered a Cold Air Industries cai based on your test. These problems that everyone is talking about, is this on all CAI or just select ones, will I notice any problems with this intake. Thanks John
This Problem does Not exist on CAI, ADM, Halltech, Rotofab, Airaid, or AFE, Possibly others but Not Sure so I can't comment.

The shorter the MAF Pipe and the closer to the TB the bigger the Problem.

Every time an Intake valve opens it sends both a Pressure wave and sound wave back up the intake manifold, and if the MAF is too close to the TB it sees it as both positive and negative air flow, generating what looks like erratic MAF signals affecting driveability.

Ted.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #42
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
With a cold air intake, and a hand held tuner like a Predator, what would you look at in the diagnostic data while it is idling to see if your MAF readings are good?

And then if a bit out of whack, is there any of the adjustable items a user could tinker with - or is that done strictly through custom tuning?
I doubt the datalogger on the Predator is fast enough, I could be wrong here, But we see it clearly with HP tuners VCM Suite.

Ted.